PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

bringin scary back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=jc-patslinebackers060807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The formation was fascinating in all the classic ways in which New England coach Bill Belichick meshes his high-brow Northeast education with his elite football strategy.

The Patriots were working on their third-down defense Tuesday. Specifically, this was third-and-long. On the field were five defensive backs, one defensive lineman and five linebackers.

Pretty interesting stuff, even more so when you consider the five linebackers were Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Adalius Thomas, Junior Seau and Rosevelt Colvin. That’s a combined 53 years of experience. Those five have probably forgotten more about football than most people have ever learned.

Whether the Patriots ever use the formation remains to be seen. It was fascinating nonetheless. The goal of the formation was clear. As defensive lineman Jarvis Green lined up at nose tackle, serving as a one-man anchor against a draw play, the linebackers stood around. None of them put their hand on the ground to show that they were going to pass rush, leaving it up to the offense to figure out.

lets get the season started....:rocker:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=jc-patslinebackers060807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The formation was fascinating in all the classic ways in which New England coach Bill Belichick meshes his high-brow Northeast education with his elite football strategy.

The Patriots were working on their third-down defense Tuesday. Specifically, this was third-and-long. On the field were five defensive backs, one defensive lineman and five linebackers.

Pretty interesting stuff, even more so when you consider the five linebackers were Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Adalius Thomas, Junior Seau and Rosevelt Colvin. That’s a combined 53 years of experience. Those five have probably forgotten more about football than most people have ever learned.

Whether the Patriots ever use the formation remains to be seen. It was fascinating nonetheless. The goal of the formation was clear. As defensive lineman Jarvis Green lined up at nose tackle, serving as a one-man anchor against a draw play, the linebackers stood around. None of them put their hand on the ground to show that they were going to pass rush, leaving it up to the offense to figure out.

lets get the season started....:rocker:

Given their relative personnel if they don't have Samuel, having 5 healthy quality DBs and the same at LB will be lovely anywhere past midseason.

It guarantees 2 possible all pros on the bench.

Check that If Jarvis is the DL, it's 3 possible all pros sitting.

Given their relative personnel if they don't have Samuel, having 5 healthy quality DBs and the same at LB will be lovely anywhere past midseason.

It guarantees 2 possible all pros on the bench.

Check that If Jarvis is the DL, it's 3 possible all pros sitting.

im thinkin it was Jarvis there cause Seymour wasnt available... but who knows..

Do you think this actually in the play book, or were they just feeling it out.

I love those formations, don't get me wrong. I just question 3 #1 picks on the bench, none on the field, (unless you count Chad Scott).:rolleyes:

we always seem to lose guys, so why we couldn't have drafted a cornerback and acquired an ILB under 30, so we could run plays like this even with
an injury or two........

Oh well, at least it's something to talk about.:D

there probably just testin it out but I wouldnt be one bit surprised if I see it this season, we've done it before I no that, cant remember for sure but I think theyve even done it before with not a single player on the D with there hand down on the ground, I think it was against Buffalo....

Last edited:
there probably just testin it out but I wouldnt be one bit surprised if I see it this season, we've done it before I no that, cant remember for sure but I think theyve even done it before with not a single player on the D with there hand down on the ground, I think it was against Buffalo....

That's why they got A.D.

There will be plenty "dog watching a magic trick" defenses this year.

That's why they got A.D.

There will be plenty "dog watching a magic trick" defenses this year.

I can't friggin wait!
Who would have believed that Bill would have INCREASED the defense's versatility and strength while losing Samuel? Pioli and Bill have got this game down to where they make it look routine. How much longer can other teams bear to watch this?
Not to mention the offense.

"Said Seau: 'The defense is tough for young guys because you have to really know your stuff in this defense. The schemes are complicated and you have to know the terminology very well.' "

Wise words:rocker: Tis why BB likes his veterans.

Was this the jaw-dropper Casale was talking about in his blog? And didn't he say the media wasn't supposed to spill any details? Of course the author didn't complete the details exactly-just a formation that the Pats may or may not run but still...:confused:

... And didn't he say the media wasn't supposed to spill any details? Of course the author didn't complete the details exactly-just a formation that the Pats may or may not run but still...:confused:

You're right. The media was told not to report on formations or plays.

"Said Seau: 'The defense is tough for young guys because you have to really know your stuff in this defense. The schemes are complicated and you have to know the terminology very well.' "

Wise words:rocker: Tis why BB likes his veterans.

Was this the jaw-dropper Casale was talking about in his blog? And didn't he say the media wasn't supposed to spill any details? Of course the author didn't complete the details exactly-just a formation that the Pats may or may not run but still...:confused:

I doubt it. My guess is the jaw-dropper is an offensive play--after all, Casale said, "When the Pats use it" against the JEST.

I don't think there's anything particularly "secret" about the 1-5-5 formation; it's not like the Pats haven't done it before.

I doubt it. My guess is the jaw-dropper is an offensive play--after all, Casale said, "When the Pats use it" against the JEST.

I don't think there's anything particularly "secret" about the 1-5-5 formation; it's not like the Pats haven't done it before.

Yeah... Even when BB was with the Jets he used to do it to Bledsoe.. Even Mangini did it last year ...

"Said Seau:

My thoughts exactly!!! Any wonder why BB gives nothing away to the media?
They just can't help themselves!

Man, reading stuff like this makes me jones for the season even more.

True enough,good point(s). I still don't like the public reminder though,but that's just me.

Was this the jaw-dropper Casale was talking about in his blog? And didn't he say the media wasn't supposed to spill any details?
Do you have his exact quote ? I searched his blog and couldn't find it :(

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

These images are from a game in Buffalo in '04, week 4. I couldn't find the no hands down set, but do remember it. BB and Crennel mixed the D up a lot that game and did a number on Bledsoe. That was the game when Seymour recovered a fumble from a Bledsoe sack and took it for a TD. The first image is 1 down, (they blitzed 5 on that), then 2 down and lastly 4 down.

Last edited:
None of Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork can play every down. If BB wants to sit all three of them on the same play, that isn't necessarily bad.

That said -- if this formation is used many times per drive, it's not working. :) On the other hand, if it's used once per drive on many drives, things are good. :D

Also, it might be an interesting change of pace for a single series against the type of team where you're in nickel on first down. Read THAT, Peyton. Then on the next series, everybody is rested to go knock his block off again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes