PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Willie Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way back I said Willie would really screw any HOF chance by going to a lousy team like Cleveland. Seems really so.
All due respect as an all time Patriot, but I don't think McGinest was ever in the hunt for the pro football hall of fame. Below are all of the NFL HOF linebackers, just 16 of them. All have multiple pro bowls, and/or all NFC or AFC elections on their resumes. Willie was nominated for the pro bowl only twice. Maybe the Patriots HOF, but that's it.

Bobby Bell (also DE) 1963-1974
Nick Buoniconti 1962-1974, 1976
**** Butkus 1965-1973
Harry Carson 1976-1988
George Connor (also DT, OT) 1948-1955
Bill George 1952-1966
Jack Ham 1971-1982
Ted Hendricks 1969-1983
Sam Huff 1956-1967, 1969
Jack Lambert 1974-1984
Willie Lanier 1967-1977
Ray Nitschke 1958-1972
Joe Schmidt 1953-1965
Mike Singletary 1981-1992
Lawrence Taylor 1981-1993
Dave Wilcox 1964-1974

I'd take him back in a next year, 'though I doubt he gets cut. Bring him back on a Troy Brown year-to-year deal and keep him away from the jets. He'd provide good, solid depth and he obviously knows the system. I did hear that his "locker room leadership" was a bit overblown, though, so I'm not sure we really need to have him back. Frankly, if both are healthy and willing, I'd rather have Seau.

I also heard his locker room leadership went from being remembered as legendary to just good 'ol veteran motivator. I certainly don't see a drop off in our defense with him gone.

Also, the whole shoving thing with Don Davis or Larry Izzo (can't recall) in the Denver playoff game certainly did not add to his positive legacy. Anyone know what that was all about?

All due respect as an all time Patriot, but I don't think McGinest was ever in the hunt for the pro football hall of fame. Below are all of the NFL HOF linebackers, just 16 of them. All have multiple pro bowls, and/or all NFC or AFC elections on their resumes. Willie was nominated for the pro bowl only twice. Maybe the Patriots HOF, but that's it.

I think Andre Tippett needs to be on that list...then maybe Willy would be next Patriot considered, though he would never get it.
I wonder if a guy like Vrabel will ever crack that list? Scores a bunch...but I don't think he has ever been to a ProBowl.

I thought he was old and slow a couple years ago.

He always had that weird running style. Kind of really loping.

Anyway, why not bring back John Hannah too, I've heard he's available. For the right price, he'd be great. Andre Tippett would probably be better than Willie Mac. Maybe lawrence taylor could play backup. He's only 50 or so.

It's not the money, it's the roster spot. How do you ever develop young players if they never play and can't even get on the roster because you're leaving fossils like him on?

I agree completely. My point was that any chance Willie had, say by having a monster game in another SB, he blew by going to Cleveland.

I also heard his locker room leadership went from being remembered as legendary to just good 'ol veteran motivator. I certainly don't see a drop off in our defense with him gone.

Also, the whole shoving thing with Don Davis or Larry Izzo (can't recall) in the Denver playoff game certainly did not add to his positive legacy. Anyone know what that was all about?
Speculation was that Willie was pissed at Izzo for an onfield error, which begs the question of why Izzo was the one in Willie's face...

I think we should bring him back. But only for 1 game as a retirement contract should he realize that he's pretty much done in Cleveland. His many years here earned him that.

this is the scenario i would like to see too

Willie was good (never great), but that ship has sailed. I dont think there's any way (barring catastrophic injury) that he comes back. I actually thing there are portions of the coaching staff that are happy as pigs in **** that he's gone. As a matter of backfilling the talent, we could take a rookie like Lamaar Woodley at a fraction of the cost, with a million times the upside.

If we take him back it would be in an Anthony Pleasant type of role, at the sunset of his career, coaching the kids and coming off the pine as needed. He'd only do it out of love for the game, and a real sense of commitment to the Pats (a la Otis Smith). I dont see it.

Last edited:
So we want to bring back a player who can't cut it in Cleveland? My oh my how desparate we've become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes