PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Willie Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky Roberts

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Big Willie is getting killed in Cleveland right now and will probably get cut. I'd love to see him back next year if BB is willing.

Big Willie is getting killed in Cleveland right now and will probably get cut. I'd love to see him back next year if BB is willing.

How exactly is he getting killed? I haven't been following his performance there.

How exactly is he getting killed? I haven't been following his performance there.

Just reading some stuff in the Cleveland Browns fan sites. They seem to think he's a complete bust and he'll be gone next year.

Just reading some stuff in the Cleveland Browns fan sites. They seem to think he's a complete bust and he'll be gone next year.

You have too much time on your hands...
we need to get younger with the LB's...not older.

You have too much time on your hands...
we need to get younger with the LB's...not older.

True, but McGinest would pretty much take the Seau role until (future drafted LB) is ready with the system to take over.

True, but McGinest would pretty much take the Seau role until (future drafted LB) is ready with the system to take over.

I think we'll be OK at OLB and DE next year. ILB is more of a concern.

McGinest would be good in a limited role, but Belichick has been trying to make this guy a part-time player since 2003. He was in 2004 and our LBs did benefit from it. Other years, injuries and poor performances from other LBs had thrusted him into a full time role.

Put me in the No vote with Willie Mcginnist.. I think he had his moments, but he is way overated...

I'd take him back in a next year, 'though I doubt he gets cut. Bring him back on a Troy Brown year-to-year deal and keep him away from the jets. He'd provide good, solid depth and he obviously knows the system. I did hear that his "locker room leadership" was a bit overblown, though, so I'm not sure we really need to have him back. Frankly, if both are healthy and willing, I'd rather have Seau.

So let me get this straight: Willie isn't doing well in Cleveland, in fact is doing so poorly that Cleveland is likely to cut him and take a huge cap hit, and therefore you think it is a good idea for him to play in New England next year?

He's old. He can't make contibute on a bad Browns defense, so what makes you think he can contribute to a good NE defense when he will be yet another year older.

Face it, BB made the right move once again, and all the bleeding hearts were wrong. Willie did a great job for us, but he is oer the hill. Thanks for all the plays Willie, but it's time to get out of the game.

Anyway, there is no way he can fulfill the role Seau had, so the whole concept is silly. What we need is a MLB.

**** Willie. Honestly, I dont want to bring back the idiot who was talking about how the Pats were making mistakes not signing their key free agents.

I'd take him back in a next year, 'though I doubt he gets cut. Bring him back on a Troy Brown year-to-year deal and keep him away from the jets. He'd provide good, solid depth and he obviously knows the system. I did hear that his "locker room leadership" was a bit overblown, though, so I'm not sure we really need to have him back. Frankly, if both are healthy and willing, I'd rather have Seau.

I can agree with this, and I'm probably one of the biggest Mac supporters out there.

Remember, we have, at most 2 titles w/o him. We're not beating Indy in '03 IN Indy.

I think we should bring him back. But only for 1 game as a retirement contract should he realize that he's pretty much done in Cleveland. His many years here earned him that.

As long as Willie is a back-up for depth, than bring him back. But let's not even think about starting the guy. I've been waiting for at least two years for us to bring in a young stud through the draft that can rush the passer, which none of our big D-Linemen besides Jarvis are all that great at, and none of our linebackers are doing consistently.

Maybe Tully is that guy. We shall know soon enough.

Seau would be a great depth choice to bring back, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he will make it through the season either. We need a young fellow in the middle as well.

I'd be happy to bring them both back. But I don't think Willie gets cut, and wonder if Seau is going to want to come back after another injury.

**** Willie. Honestly, I dont want to bring back the idiot who was talking about how the Pats were making mistakes not signing their key free agents.

He said very little in this regard.

In any event, even the biggest pom pom waver in the world can find fault with some of their moves and/or stances. Another thread brought up Givens as the least damaging loss. Out of the big three losses, remember that the Pats made the MOST impact on Givens. he was the only one of the three that was literally weighing and comparing similar contract offers.

Willies' deal was 3 years 12 million with half of that being either guarenteed or a signing bonus. No way Cleveland cuts someone they have to pay 6 million to, either way, plus take the cap hit, never happen. Willie is gone, and gone for good. I think he has really hurt his HOF chances by this move.

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2006/03/16/news/sports/sports03.txt

Way back I said Willie would really screw any HOF chance by going to a lousy team like Cleveland. Seems really so.

Assuming they'd want to cut Willie and that your #s are correct, they could cut Willie next year after June 1st and spread the cap hit on the remaining $4M of the $6M signing bonus over 2 years at $2M a year. Meanwhile they'd 'save' his $2M a year salary. Net 0 in cash flow and a very manageable cap hit.

I couldn't see Willie on the inside.
I would love to have him back, though.
He should retire a Patriot.

McGinest would be good in a limited role, but Belichick has been trying to make this guy a part-time player since 2003. He was in 2004 and our LBs did benefit from it. Other years, injuries and poor performances from other LBs had thrusted him into a full time role.

I've heard this before about BB wanting Willie in a more limited role.
So, what happens? Does Willie just not come out when his replacement comes in? Does he just wave him off?
Kinda funny actually.

Wilie McGinest is still good enough to play football for the Pats..
...at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey