PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Ridley, or draft another RB?

I don't disagree with your take on Ridley & Vereen, but I am not drafting a RB in either the 1st or 2nd
round. Sign a vet UFA, draft a RB on Day 3, and sign a UDFA post-draft.

I would like a RB a little more dynamic than Ridley who is just too one dimensional for my liking. Ridley doesn't have breakaway speed and he cannot catch a cold. Have you guys forgotten about James White redshirt year for him this year might be a keeper next year.
I agree with your take on Ridley, not so much on lil' Jimmy White. There were a half-dozen RBs
better than him when he was over-drafted in the 4th round. That was another wasted pick by Bill.

I like Ridley and he's been a decent player but there are a lot of room for improvement, I'm not even counting the fumble and injury factors, just pure talent.

He can't hit a home run and he put up to much bulk this last offseason that didn't benefit him I believe. I'm not on the Gray bandwagon, but I don't know if Ridley could have done what Gray did yesterday against the Colts. I would bring him back in a prove it deal of course, but I'm not against drafting a RB high, I wanted Carlos Hyde this year.

Defenses are always concerned about the pass when they play against the Pats, add another reason for them to worry and we have a high powered offense again. I don't think anyone plan too much for Ridley.

Last edited:
I can't believe Belichick didn't give Jim Brown the damn ball for 9 weeks:)
Serisously, that was eye-opening on Gray's behalf last night. Gonna have to wait
and see how the season progresses before determining how big a need rb is now.

I can't believe Belichick didn't give Jim Brown the damn ball for 9 weeks:)
Serisously, that was eye-opening on Gray's behalf last night. Gonna have to wait
and see how the season progresses before determining how big a need rb is now.

Absolutely. He'll be a damn sight cheaper than Beast mode who I thought he played just like last night.

Absolutely. He'll be a damn sight cheaper than Beast mode who I thought he played just like last night.
These rb's after two or three years in a professional weight program look like blocks of granite. That's what Gray looks like now. If we can get James White on that type of program..cough..cough..we may not even need a back. Not forgetting Gaffney either.

These rb's after two or three years in a professional weight program look like blocks of granite. That's what Gray looks like now. If we can get James White on that type of program..cough..cough..we may not even need a back. Not forgetting Gaffney either.

Right now, I'd be happy drafting Gurley, much like we did Gronk, by trading back into the top of the first or Abdullah at the back of the second if we don't resign Vereen and I still like Coleman, but the RB position certainly took a step back last night on the list of needs.

Abdullah was terrible in pass protection on Saturday. Was watching some of that game and Bama game. Nearly got his qb killed. I think I'd prefer a bigger back.

Abdullah was terrible in pass protection on Saturday. Was watching some of that game and Bama game. Nearly got his qb killed. I think I'd prefer a bigger back.

That's funny because I saw someone else say he was terrific. Abdullah will stay my favourite RB in this draft - there is no one that has his vision and decision making ability.

He tried but got run over a few times. Maybe, as he gets bigger he can do it. Bigger boys coming at you in the NFL though. Kevin Faulk did improve greatly as his career progressed.

He tried but got run over a few times. Maybe, as he gets bigger he can do it. Bigger boys coming at you in the NFL though. Kevin Faulk did improve greatly as his career progressed.

It's certainly an area he can improve on, as is ball security which is my most serious issue with him.

I will say that it's highly unlikely that I'll be mocking a RB in the first couple of rounds in my next mock.

Ridley is having knee surgery Tuesday according to a post he just made on Facebook

Reduce Danny Amendola's base salary from $4 million to $1.9 million.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots

Utilize the aforementioned salary cap savings to re-sign Shane Vereen.

New England Patriots - 2015 NFL Season Running Backs

Develin, James (fullback)
Gaffney, Tyler
Gray, Jonas
Vereen, Shane
White, James

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster.html

The earliest I wonder consider selecting a running back in the 2015 NFL Draft would be the third round.

Offensive Guard would be the New England Patriots number one offensive priority.

Note: Collegiate Offensive Tackle to NFL Offensive Guard conversion acceptable

I really see no need to bring back Ridley even in a one year bargain deal. However I would love bb to draft yeldon of Alabama.

I really see no need to bring back Ridley even in a one year bargain deal. However I would love bb to draft yeldon of Alabama.

Not sold on Yeldon - runs too high, and I think he'll be overdrafted. As for Ridley, I'd like to see more of how Gray develops before deciding that. But Gray+Gaffney could be a nice big back combo, at very cheap cost.

If I were the Pats, I'd also work like heck with Gray on his receiving skills. Gaffney has good receiving skills. The ability of either guy to develop in the general direction of someone like Arian Foster would add a tremendous dimension to the offense.

I don't ever believe in drafting RBs high. Frankly I am question drafting them at all at this point. That was a bit tongue and cheek just to make a point though. I would draft a guy like Vereen with a reasonably high pick who can catch but between the tackles guys are just to easy to get to expend draft resources on them.

I am fine with the Pats standing pat provided they sign Vereen in the offseason as I think having that pass catcher out of the back field is so important to keeping your QB safe as well as giving the defense 1 more thing to worry about.

Now that Gurley has an ACL I wonder how much this will push back his draft stock.

Might still be available with the Mankins/Bucs pick? If so, we might give him a redshirt year and try to bridge it with cheap 1Y Ridley/Gray/Gaffney

I think Gurley is still a second rounder. He won't fall to the 4th. Caught some Minnesota/OSU highlights. I was impressed with Cobb. Minny RB

Now that Gurley has an ACL I wonder how much this will push back his draft stock.

Might still be available with the Mankins/Bucs pick? If so, we might give him a redshirt year and try to bridge it with cheap 1Y Ridley/Gray/Gaffney

We will likely have 3 pics in a 10+ pick range: our own 3rd, a 3rd round comp pick, and TB's 4th. If Gurley is available in that range I'm fine with using one of those on him, but I doubt it. I'm guessing he's still a top-50 pick.

We will likely have 3 pics in a 10+ pick range: our own 3rd, a 3rd round comp pick, and TB's 4th. If Gurley is available in that range I'm fine with using one of those on him, but I doubt it. I'm guessing he's still a top-50 pick.

Yep, that's what I also expect and I don't want to use any of our Day 1/2 picks on a RB. I just wonder how much he will drop.

Given the trend of the last few years I am not even sure if he would be a first round selection when completely healthy. With a torn ligament.. there will be no combine or anything.. who knows..

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back