PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Ridley, or draft another RB?

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ridley has had fumbling issues and found himself in the doghouse last year. This year he was only averaging 3.6 ypc.

As we all know, he suffered ACL/MCL tears and is out for the year. Running Backs coming off knee injuries are always question marks, but usually not as effective in their first year back (AP being an obvious exception). However, the knee injury might make Ridley a cheap signing this offseason, and could possibly sign on a 1-year "prove-it" type of deal.

The Pats being familiar with Ridley and vice versa, along with the organizations notorious frugal spending habits… this could mean Ridley will be back in New England next year.

But it's also possible they move on from Ridley and draft a new RB. New England isn't known for re-signing their Running Backs, and this years RB class is one of the better ones in recent years.

What RB's do you think would fit our system the best?

Bring back Ridley on a "prove it" deal. The Pats will also have Tyler Gaffney coming off IR. That gives them some breathing room. They can then let the draft dictate what they do: if there is a good value on day 2 then they could make a move, but they don't have to. This will be a deep RB class, and they should be able to pick up a solid player for RBBC at some point.

Bring back Ridley on a "prove it" deal. The Pats will also have Tyler Gaffney coming off IR. That gives them some breathing room. They can then let the draft dictate what they do: if there is a good value on day 2 then they could make a move, but they don't have to. This will be a deep RB class, and they should be able to pick up a solid player for RBBC at some point.
Except I'd go on Day 3. There are other position needs for Day 1 and Day2.

Ridley has had fumbling issues and found himself in the doghouse last year. This year he was only averaging 3.6 ypc.

As we all know, he suffered ACL/MCL tears and is out for the year. Running Backs coming off knee injuries are always question marks, but usually not as effective in their first year back (AP being an obvious exception). However, the knee injury might make Ridley a cheap signing this offseason, and could possibly sign on a 1-year "prove-it" type of deal.
Torn ACL/MCL is a tough injury to return back to 100%. I would prefer if the New England Patriots select a running back in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Torn ACL/MCL is a tough injury to return back to 100%. I would prefer if the New England Patriots select a running back in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

I hope so too.

Ridley's ypc this year was pretty bad, and last year he got benched for fumbling. Coming off a bad knee injury and missing time certainly won't help Ridley's effectiveness.

I want them to re-sign Vereen, and draft a workhorse RB in the 2nd-3rd rd. A stud RB can control the clock and make defenses think twice about rushing Brady non-stop.

By the time of the draft, 6 months from now, the Pats should have a decent handle on how Ridley and Gaffney are progressing, and how urgent the need for a RB is in the draft. If things look positive I tend to lean more towards day 3, but I'm not averse to grabbing a RB in the 3rd if the value is there.

Too early but a handful of Day 2 rbs have had my interest for years

It's always funny how people list these fringe-roster players as if we can count on them (Gaffney).

I remember people doing the same with Jeff Demps when we signed him, and he never ended up taking a snap for the Patriots. For all we know, Gaffney may not even make the team next year.

It's always funny how people list these fringe-roster players as if we can count on them (Gaffney).

I remember people doing the same with Jeff Demps when we signed him, and he never ended up taking a snap for the Patriots. For all we know, Gaffney may not even make the team next year.

We absolutely don't know whether Gaffney will make the team next year. But by April the team should have some take on Ridley's and Gaffney's prognosis for recovery, and Ridley and Vereen will either be re-signed or an ex-Pat. All of those things will factor in to how much of a priorate the RB position is. That's all.

Bb traditionally loves competition at camp. So I expect bb to draft a rb in the upcoming draft.

I would love to get yeldon from Alabama.

Bb traditionally loves competition at camp. So I expect bb to draft a rb in the upcoming draft.

I would love to get yeldon from Alabama.

I think most people expect to draft a RB in the upcoming draft. The question is day 2 or day 3. I've seen projections all over the board for Yeldon; too early to tell where his draft stock will fall.

I think most people expect to draft a RB in the upcoming draft. The question is day 2 or day 3. I've seen projections all over the board for Yeldon; too early to tell where his draft stock will fall.

I suspect yeldon will be available in day two. I do not think he is a first round back.

I suspect yeldon will be available in day two. I do not think he is a first round back.

He seems to be out of first round consideration at the moment. I've seen him projected as a day 3 pick in some mocks.

I would like to see them resign Vereen and Ridley and then draft a RB in day three to compete with Gafney.

I would like to see them resign Vereen and Ridley and then draft a RB in day three to compete with Gafney.

That's my inclination, though if the right back were available in the 3rd round I wouldn't complain. Tevin Coleman and Jay Ajayi are both very appealing, and both rumored to be coming out.

I'm also in the "bring back what we have" group, strengthened by Gaffney. However it's such a deep group that someone like Yeldon could be about the 6th RB (Gurley, Gordon, Davis, Indiana RB, Nebraska RB) so we could probably get a really interesting, fairly cheap RB a little later on. I suspect we'll probably go that way with the obvious uncertainty of whether Ridley would sign a cheap one year prove it deal.

Considering BB would draft just about anything or anyone in that Round it wouldn't hurt.

I would like a RB a little more dynamic than Ridley who is just too one dimensional for my liking. Ridley doesn't have breakaway speed and he cannot catch a cold. Have you guys forgotten about James White redshirt year for him this year might be a keeper next year.

Bring back Ridley? Sure, why not…for the vet minimum, non-guaranteed, and not one penny more.

You're the one who usually ticks everybody off. My turn. But, I'll say it. I wanted to upgrade Ridley even BEFORE he got injured. I see Vereen as a 3rd down back. And, he's going to have to take a reasonable contract because he just doesn't have the resume to demand a lot of guaranteed dollars. I'd take a RB in the second round. If Gurley slips to 20, I'm on the horn with my buddies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back