PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Briggs has no interest in a 3-4 defense(link)

Status
Not open for further replies.
guess we can almost cross him out :p

He's out! NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more Lance Briggs threads........

Shoot. He was probably a longshot anyways, but I'd like to see a significant upgrade at that position.

Oh well........they will franchise him any way........one gone from the fantasy list. :mad:

Oh well........they will franchise him any way........one gone from the fantasy list. :mad:
He was never on any real list save some fans fantasy wish list...

First he is marginally sized, too small for a 3-4 OLB, and his free lance style would never play for the Belichick Coaches.

The Bears are in the Super Bowl and have ample CAP position, so why would he have ever been a possibility to leave?

Thomas or Jarret are a different case; but still a long shot. Thomas would cost lots of money. The Ravens don't have lots, but they do have enough.

He does have the size the Pats like, and he does now have the experience they want in a vet. As a Strong side LB, in the Ravens scheme, I don't know what his pass coverage abilities are, though.

Last edited:
He was never on any real list save some fans fantasy wish list...

First he is marginally sized, too small for a 3-4 OLB, and his free lance style would never play for the Belichick Coaches.

The Bears are in the Super Bowl and have ample CAP position, so why would he have ever been a possibility to leave?

Thomas or Jarret are a different case; but still a long shot. Thomas would cost lots of money. The Ravens don't have lots, but they do have enough.

He does have the size the Pats like, and he does now have the experience they want in a vet. As a Strong side LB, in the Ravens scheme, I don't know what his pass coverage abilities are, though.

Thomas is a freak. In prior years he has subbed for them at safety and played well. I will be very surprised if he plays for anyone but Baltimore next year as he could very well be their best player.

I never really thought he could play inside in our system anyway.

Not too smart of Briggs either. Coming into free agency, you don't want to say no to a team with $30 million in cap room.

Well, the next person on my wish list that probably wont get fulfilled is Adalius Thomas. Let's see how that one goes. After him there is only London Fletcher-Baker and some WRs...

Not too smart of Briggs either. Coming into free agency, you don't want to say no to a team with $30 million in cap room.

Why? He is a hot commodity and it isn't as if that one team has the market cornered in cap room.

If he has no interest in going to the Pats he can say what he wishes. He will be paid handsomely by someone regardless.

No more Lance Briggs threads........
Sadly, you are delirious, there will be threads complaining about not signing him well into next fall. :bricks:

Thanks for trying though. :rocker:

Is there a way we can blame someone for not having a defense Briggs will play in?

I hope everyone realizes the Briggs would be happy to play in a 3-4 for 7 million a year, and I am not counting him out.

If you asked any linebacker, they would probably say they prefer a 4-3 because it means they get to run around a little more freely and don't have to take on as many linemen.

That's like asking a WR if he would like to play in a run first offense. What do you think he would say.

What answer do you think you would get, if someone asked him if he would prefer to be in pass coverage every play ?

Any linebacker would probably prefer the 4-3. That doesn't mean they can't play in a 3-4 Defense.

Mike Vrabel has said he prefers to play outside and rush the QB. Colvin has said he would prefer to just go after the QB every play.

Last edited:
first and fore most, BB despises defensive players who just want to run and make plays and not do the hard stuff like shedding blockers ..he was not going fit with BB anyway when he said he 'likes' being the weakside LB -
It allows me to play ball, the weakside position in this defensive scheme, you're kind of called on to make play after play after play," he said. "When Lovie [Smith] came here, he said 'I want you to play the weakside, I want you to be the Derrick Brooks of this defense.' In this defense, you are relied to make play after play.

Last edited:
If you are a big money player and not willing to play for near half of what you were making the previous years then forget about the Patriots,We don't pay lots for anyone outside of Brady and Seymour...period - No fantasy guys-we take productive guys for generic prices-not over inflated players

Why? He is a hot commodity and it isn't as if that one team has the market cornered in cap room.

If he has no interest in going to the Pats he can say what he wishes. He will be paid handsomely by someone regardless.

The more suitors you have, the easier it is to maximize your $$$. Not everyone is in the market for a franchise level LB. Only half the teams could even fit him under the cap, and how many of those teams are looking to give the big dough to a LB.

Thomas will be too much money but the Raven's reserve named Jarret Johnson could be our guy - the next Mike Vrabel. A big (6'3" 260lbs) DE/LB tweener, the Ravens had Johnson lighten up this year and play standing up most of the time. Regarded by Baltimore as an excellent athlete, Johnson could be offered near starter money if Thomas is seen to be leaving. Johnson has played mostly OLB for Balt. but has started at ILB on a couple of occassions and can still put his hand down and rush off the edge ala McGinest and Colvin - just the kind of versatility BB loves. Ozzie Newsome and the Raven's FO do a very good job of drafting defensive talent, just look at their players. If they're high on this guy it's a pretty good sign he can play if given the opportunity. Any young player would have a hard time cracking the LB lineup the Ravens have put on the field of late, so not starting isn't much of knock against him. Of course, we all remember Vrabel was a sub until he came here...

Last edited:
Briggs is getting ready to play in the Superbowl, anything that he said about his pending free agency would have gone over like a ton of bricks to his teammates at this time, he took the high road and tried his best to avoid the subject of his pending free agency.
What kind of a-hole would try and find his next job the week leading up to the Superbowl, instead on concentrating on the task at hand (I can think of one!).

That aside, Briggs is an outstanding talent that could easily fit into the Pats scheme, BB did have a LB named Taylor at one time, and he had a pretty good career under BB, so do not fall into the "system" rut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes