PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing or not, it's his prerogative. He's had his fair share of injuries and he's gotten his superbowl ring. In the same situation, I would've held out too. It's not everyday a player gets to lead the league in position defining stats in the year before free agency. It's not a matter of what he's really worth-- it's more an issue of what he could have gotten in free agency in a year when there was a dire need in his position, for which teams were willing to pay a boatload. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and, like it or not, the Pats took that away from him when they used the franchise tag.

But, that said, the rules are the rules. Plus, he is getting a raise for performing well in a system that set him up to succeed in his position.
First, if he doesn't like teh franchise tag rule COMPLAIN to the union. they negotiated it, so complain to them. If he doesn't sign the tender, he's stupid..his perogative but IMO dumb. The longer he stays out, the less he will earn THIS year and the gamble that he will become irelevent when he returns. No big dollar contract based upon a short season. "once in a lifetime situation?" you know what, he has ANOTHER lifetime situation coming up this year, if he comes in on time plays hard and has ANOTHER solid year. The Pats could again franchise him, but they could always franchise and trade and get top dollarin a trade. I think teh Pats made the correct move given teh outstanding last part of the season he had, but they are not going to pay top dollar to a player for a half a seson of great play. This way, he has to show consistency before getting that big contract. Nothing wrong with that.

Re: Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind ?

I completely agree with everything except your prediction that he shows up in the preseason. I think he means it that he'll sit and I think we end up trading him right after the beginning of the season. Hope I'm wrong.

Of course you could be right and I hope you are wrong just as you do. Trading him would certainly rid us of a distraction if that is a concern to Pats FO.

I do not see us weakening ourselves once again this year and I think Asante's agent will be reasonable, as opposed to Branch's agent that allowed things to get personal between himself/Branch and NE.

I would say the only way Asante would not sign, early on and play this year for NE, would indeed be if we traded him. To me his value is at least a #1 and that would have to be with a team expected to go .500 or lower.

Otherwise, I just cannot imagine him walking away from that kind of money, 1/2MM a week is a whole lot of money for a guy who hasn't made a lot (relatively speaking) in his NFL career so far. I know what he stands to make once he gets to his long term deal, but there is no reason he cannot have his cake (long term deal) with icing on top (7.9MM tender) of course that means as he gets some good insurance.

Of course you could be right and I hope you are wrong just as you do. Trading him would certainly rid us of a distraction if that is a concern to Pats FO.

I do not see us weakening ourselves once again this year and I think Asante's agent will be reasonable, as opposed to Branch's agent that allowed things to get personal between himself/Branch and NE.

I would say the only way Asante would not sign, early on and play this year for NE, would indeed be if we traded him. To me his value is at least a #1 and that would have to be with a team expected to go .500 or lower.

Otherwise, I just cannot imagine him walking away from that kind of money, 1/2MM a week is a whole lot of money for a guy who hasn't made a lot (relatively speaking) in his NFL career so far. I know what he stands to make once he gets to his long term deal, but there is no reason he cannot have his cake (long term deal) with icing on top (7.9MM tender) of course that means as he gets some good insurance.
I agree...makes a LOT of sense..and I think he will be reasonable. Diggerent situations, different circumstances and..hopefully different results. I was pretty pessimistic until the last few weeks..feel like he will report soon...if not now, in a week or so. And that is OK..but longer? That is when he will be shooting himself in the foot.

As an FYI....it looks like AS is far behind...Tomase was just on FSN and when asked about him said he's in Florida and is not expected to be here Friday. Another poster mentioned two weeks...and I think that might be closer to reality. No problem for me as I think others may be given an opportunity. The caveat is if he stays out longer...that is where I see more problems.

On NFL Total Access they said Briggs signed his tender today(Wednesday).

As I said, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I also hope you're right about the possible differences between this and the Branch situation. But I have a bad feeling about this. Feel free to say "I told you so" if he shows up at camp. I'll pop a cold one to toast you.

you know what, he has ANOTHER lifetime situation coming up this year, if he comes in on time plays hard and has ANOTHER solid year.
You seem to think my post was from team perspective. It wasn't meant to be. I hope the pats keep him under lock and key for as long as possible. It would be moronic to have worked on him for four years, only to have him emerge in his contract year as a great corner and then lose him to free agency.

Understand what I was trying to say:
League Leading INTs+Last year of Rookie contract+Year where cornerback need is greatest = Once in lifetime opportunity. Even if quarterbacks were still willing to throw in his direction next season (which they won't) and he got to lead again in INTs (which he probably won't), the purses of other teams might not be as full as they were this off-season, if he's not franchised again.

8 million dollars cry me a river...show up you stinking one year wonder

You seem to think my post was from team perspective. It wasn't meant to be. I hope the pats keep him under lock and key for as long as possible. It would be moronic to have worked on him for four years, only to have him emerge in his contract year as a great corner and then lose him to free agency.

Understand what I was trying to say:
League Leading INTs+Last year of Rookie contract+Year where cornerback need is greatest = Once in lifetime opportunity. Even if quarterbacks were still willing to throw in his direction next season (which they won't) and he got to lead again in INTs (which he probably won't), the purses of other teams might not be as full as they were this off-season, if he's not franchised again.
Firstly...I do not buy that formula..cornerbacks are always needed and teams it seems even have more money from one year to the next for great players so if anything, he may even get MORE money next year if he does the right thing. Secondly, the one negative in your formula that you leave out is only a half a year of great play..and that I THINK is quite important to any team. So
(League Leading INTs+Last year of Rookie contract+Year where cornerback need is greatest) times (only a half year of great play) = A very good opportunity; hardly a once in a lifetime deal. I think if he does the right thing..(whether he leads in interceptions or basically forces QBs to throw on the opposite side of the field, if he has a solid year + coming off a franchise tag + entering into a market which ALWAYS needs CB) times (a year and a hlf of great play) = a better opportunity. The big question mark teams have is how consistent he is..and believe me THAT IS a drawback. Is that one half a year real?? Or a flash in the pan?? WIth the franchise tag, the Pats are asking that question of Samuel. It looks like his greed is taking over here and it may mean there is more chance of the latter. I have to really wonder how much money he would have gotten if the Pats hadn't franchised him?? I really doubt it would have been close to the megabucks he sees in his eyes. If anything, the Pats VERY GENEROUS tag has only made him more greedy. NOT ENOUGH!! Those that are greedy lose out in the end and it's possible he'll get the pot of gold soon, but it could be for a loser franchise. I agree it's really poor for a franchise to invest 4 years in a player and see him emerge and leave...which is another reason I see the franchise tag as legit.

I think it's looking more and more like Asante will be signing the tender and playing for the Patriots this year, so there is little need for all of us to worry. Don't get me wrong... I don't think he will be in camp this Friday... but I bet he's ready for September 9.

The thing that brought Briggs into camp was the Bears agreeing *not* to franchise him again next year and then throwing in an extra million bucks as a sweetener.

At this point, I think the Pats should follow suit and see if that can get Asante into camp. You give up something valuable, the possibility of trading him next year, but you get something valuable in return, an important part of what seems to be a championship-level team this year.

We have plenty of draft picks next year already. I think the Pats would be better off showing some flexibility here.

Last edited:
It will be hard for AS to perform the way he did last year so I have no issue with not putting the tag on him next year. I wonder if that is the hold up anyway.

At this point, I think the Pats should follow suit and see if that can get Asante into camp. You give up something valuable, the possibility of trading him next year, but you get something valuable in return, an important part of what seems to be a championship-level team this year.

We have plenty of draft picks next year already. I think the Pats would be better off showing some flexibility here.
No they shouldn't. Just because "we have plenty of draft picks" doesn't mean we should give additional ones away.

Samuel can play for $8M this year. Then if we Franchise him again he can play for $9.6M. Then we can't Franchise him again.

He's not exactly getting screwed by The Man here.

Like I said about a month ago, I would agree with Samuel that if we Franchise him again that we would take a lesser comp deal (like a single #2) to expedite and increase the liklihood of getting a deal done. But I wouldn't agree to take nothing and wait for a 2009 comp pick, likely a #4.

The thing that brought Briggs into camp was the Bears agreeing *not* to franchise him again next year and then throwing in an extra million bucks as a sweetener.

I do not see the Pats doing that. What is Samuel giving in return?? he's doing what he should be doing..playing. And for HELPING him have a great season by being sure he's in camp, the team loses the right to franchise and trade. Seem fair?? At this point, I believe Samuel loses if he comes in later..that is his gamble. I think the team lets him roll the dice.

1. To those who say anyone who disagrees w/Samuel is just reaction out of pure fanboy emotion: Yeah, assuming that individual is "screaming" in all caps, and making no salient points. Got accused of being a fanboy on a pro/con thread I started, myself. My point was, and is, that eventually it may be wise to make playing hardball a little harder on the players, when you get 3 holdouts in 2 years.

2. To screaming yobs who believe that emotion and opinion are the sine qua non of fan discussion, we have a problem on the internet. From here, we can't see how cool your face paint is, which throwback jersey you just bought at the mall, or your framed Steve Grogan autographed 8 x 10 glossy. We can't respect the content of your rant purely by dint of drunken volume. And we can't see your friends nodding like sheep looking for the next patch to graze. All we can see is what argument you advance.

Writing is thinking on screen or on paper. Just think a little more clearly, and you'll write a little more clearly. Just practice for a while; the effect also works in reverse.

3. The absolute truth is: Samuel's irritating. He's exercising his CBA rights. The Pats are exercising theirs. Samuel (I believe) is the lone high-profile holdout in the league now, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I posted on the "other" thread, that we should just let him hold out, don't call his agents, etc. Return their calls if they call, but tell them "don't waste our time just to generate a news clip."

Let him think a while about his tattoo motto, as he becomes the one player in the NFL that's not getting paid.

All predictions seem to be he'll be in camp mid august. I don't really know about that. And I don't really care.

Yes, it is a business, and no, I have nothing personal against Samuel. I have something personal in favor of solving a business problem when you have a business problem. The sky is not falling, there are all sorts of reasons for it (including success of BB's own scheme,) but the NE Patriots have a business problem here: People hold out against them.

I only ask, can we be doing something better? And no, "better" does not mean just roll over.

If not, all us fanboys will just resign ourselves to this sort of drama every year or two, as a sign of fiscal discipline.

In fact, we should stop calling it the Samuel Talks or the Branch Talks or the Seymour Talks or whatever, and start calling it the Fiscal Discipline Talks. Details change, but the theme is the same.

Well, I'll take the holdouts if they come with the results we've gotten used to. But I am not certain the Pats have ever used the full arsenal of tools at their disposal. I would just say careful, Asante.... at some point, the Pats might want to send a message (as in, hey kids, you can screw yourself playing hardball!) Do you really want to play the role of Western Union to get that one across?

PFnV

Well, I'll take the holdouts if they come with the results we've gotten used to. But I am not certain the Pats have ever used the full arsenal of tools at their disposal. I would just say careful, Asante.... at some point, the Pats might want to send a message (as in, hey kids, you can screw yourself playing hardball!) Do you really want to play the role of Western Union to get that one across?

PFnV

Well you can certainly write, but I am not sure what your point was though.

The Pats have holdouts because of their financial management style, and there is no indication they have any plans of changing. They use the tools at their disposal (Franchise Tag, Non-negotiation, Low ball, Negotiation, etc.). Sometimes they get extensions, sometimes players leave in a few cases there are holdouts.

They could end the holdout today by giving up the usage of the Franchise tag in 2008 but they don't want to give up this leverage. Samuel is doing the only thing he can which is make a statement by not signing the tender until he is ready ( I believe Allen in KC is also holding out but I could be wrong).

IMO neither Samuel or the Patriots are doing anything wrong, it is purely posturing and feet stomping.

As far as the Patriots using all the tools in their arsenal against Samuel, the cabinet is bare. All they can do is wait for him to sign or start missing game checks. They could 'burden' him with a $9.5M franchise tag in 2008, I think Samuel would survive such a cruel fate.

I hate to over simplify things but fans cheer for laundry, and as long as BB wins he is god. The majority of opinion is going to back up these statements.

I do not see the Pats doing that. What is Samuel giving in return?? he's doing what he should be doing..playing. And for HELPING him have a great season by being sure he's in camp, the team loses the right to franchise and trade. Seem fair?? At this point, I believe Samuel loses if he comes in later..that is his gamble. I think the team lets him roll the dice.

What Asante is giving in return is his right to hold out until the 10th game of the year. What the Pats are getting in return is a better chance to win those 10 games. Is that "better chance" worth a possible 1st or 2nd round pick next year? That's a tough one but winning the SB is tough to do even though around here we have gotten used to thinking it's our God-given right.

I think it also makes us look less adverserial in our dealings with the players. I think that it's a good business practice to try to get everyone thinking that this team is a partnership between players, management, and owners not some 1930's style war between evil silk hatted tycoons and downtrodden workers.

But then I always have been a bit of a dreamer...

I wonder if it might work if the Pats agree to pay him the whole Franchise tender this year upfront in one lump sum (that's what the Bears did for Briggs) and get him to agree that if he doesn't sign a long term deal with the Pats next year, he will be free to sign with any team with no compensation for the Pats. As long as he doesn't sign with the Jets, Bills, or Dolphins.

Last edited:
Belichick and Smuel at the poker table . . . I'm going all in on Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back