PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brief observations from Pats vs. Colts replay on NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.
That game is going deep into a dark closet with the 07 afccg and superbowl 42. I don't know how you could sit through that again. That said, I believe this overall will have positive effects on this young defense down the road. And it just further supports what I've been saying since 05, we need a pass rush. All this revamping of the secondary has been nice but they can't be expected to cover for 4-5 seconds a play.

The only thing I mildly disagree on is the "inexperience" part costing the defense points in the 4th quarter. I think it was a mixture of that and the defense we called. You can't just rush four (especially our four man rush, which really isn't a rush at all) and sit back in coverage and not expect Manning to pick you apart. If you watched the replay, you'll see (as I did) that we didn't really call any pressure packages. I felt that was just as important as the fact that we couldn't sub-in and out.

The only thing I mildly disagree on is the "inexperience" part costing the defense points in the 4th quarter. I think it was a mixture of that and the defense we called. You can't just rush four (especially our four man rush, which really isn't a rush at all) and sit back in coverage and not expect Manning to pick you apart. If you watched the replay, you'll see (as I did) that we didn't really call any pressure packages. I felt that was just as important as the fact that we couldn't sub-in and out.

Bruschi on the ESPN chat says that it was a result of softer zone coverage more than anything, and he is the expert here so I have to defer to him on that. He also disagreed that the D was gassed.

Chat: ESPNBoston chats Patriots-Jets - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

Bruschi on the ESPN chat says that it was a result of softer zone coverage more than anything, and he is the expert here so I have to defer to him on that. He also disagreed that the D was gassed.

It's really a combination of the softer zone AND the BS interference call. Butler was in perfect position/ looking back at the ball. if anything he was interferred.

I still believe that Wilfork and Wright were gassed. That did play some because the pass rush did very well throughout the game applying pressure.

Anyone know who the more accurate thrower is? Stanback or Edelmen? I smell the steelers superbowl 40 reverse play somewhere down the road.

Yep. I agree with him. I have no idea why we went to that formation. Like I've been saying, you could almost see Manning's eyes light up. I hope Pees learned his lesson, should we face them again in the playoffs.

My observations were of how badly Dan Connolly played replacing Neal which caused Faulk to be tackled for loss on second down. Also Jerod Mayo was out of place on Addai's last two runs. He couldn't see who had the ball.

i think the loss of neal has not been emphasised enough effecting the running game.

Also my argument for the "inexperience" is that fact that in training camp, as a matter of fact, I saw them practice allowing the opponent to score quickly so they could get the ball back.

This is confirmed by Tedy in the ESPN chat today.. look at the 1:15 mark, and you will see where he says that.

They practice it in the preseason, but don't implement it in the regular season? That is a flaw I can only ascribe to inexperience on the part of Pees and the D. Why couldn't they let Addai score and preserve around 40 to 50 seconds on the clock? As it was, Peyton did a run on the next play that burned up a good 30 seconds.

I don't care how anyone puts it; that is completely inexcusible.

Also my argument for the "inexperience" is that fact that in training camp, as a matter of fact, I saw them practice allowing the opponent to score quickly so they could get the ball back.

This is confirmed by Tedy in the ESPN chat today.. look at the 1:15 mark, and you will see where he says that.

They practice it in the preseason, but don't implement it in the regular season? That is a flaw I can only ascribe to inexperience on the part of Pees and the D. Why couldn't they let Addai score and preserve around 40 to 50 seconds on the clock? As it was, Peyton did a run on the next play that burned up a good 30 seconds.

I don't care how anyone puts it; that is completely inexcusible.

My guess is because Wilhite was acting on instinct. For what it's worth, I did agree with you about their inexperience. I showed when Chung bit... badly... on Manning's pump fake.

When did Ian sign you as board clown? Bozo wanted too much guarenteed money so he signed with "ganggreen"?

The OP gave some observations that are insightful, interesting, and informative.

Even if the 4th and 2 was called correctly, that shouls have zero bearing on a fan's evaluation of our chances going into Indy in January.

did you enjoy the loss too?
this is the first time they've faced an elite quarterback in complete control of the game, dictating tempo, dictating pace, and calling the shots. A great experience for them. In this regard, I am actually glad we lost, because players remember lessons from losses far more than wins, so you can bet that if we face them in the AFCC, they will be ready for that.

Don't trip over those shoes now.

Last edited:
My hats off to you for having the stomach to re watch that game. I was basically catatonic for much of the week and did not watch TV, listen to the radio, or read the paper all week. Hell, I could not even come here until last night.
The repeated abuse (most of it good natured) I received from clients and friends was my only reminder of the Sunday night debacle.
Breath deep and on to the Jets.

Not sure what your point is.. care to elaborate?

forget that, it was a response to the lame post it was contained in. I did take offense to the idea that it was a good loss for the hapless defense.

For the record, this is hardly indicative of someone who is unstoppable. Peyton's second half drives Prior to us handing him field position on the 28.

Interception

Punt

TD

Interception

TD

Of course young can mean inexperienced, but 2 ints in a half I'll take. It also means fresh legs and athleticism. I frankly feel more optimistic late in the game than I have in years, since I believe (despite the deniers) that we have had exhausted and injured players in quarter 4 for a while.

Last edited:
forget that, it was a response to the lame post it was contained in. I did take offense to the idea that it was a good loss for the hapless defense.

For the record, this is hardly indicative of someone who is unstoppable. Peyton's second half drives Prior to us handing him field position on the 28.

I understand where you are coming from. I am just thinking that since we made quite a few uncharacteristic mistakes, we did deserve that loss.

If we had made those same uncharacteristic mistakes and won the game, I am afraid that those lessons wouldn't stick, and that it'd come back to bite us in the a** in the playoffs. Better now than January and February.

I understand where you are coming from. I am just thinking that since we made quite a few uncharacteristic mistakes, we did deserve that loss.

If we had made those same uncharacteristic mistakes and won the game, I am afraid that those lessons wouldn't stick, and that it'd come back to bite us in the a** in the playoffs. Better now than January and February.

I got the general idea, but I still don't see it. Obviously if we were on the forty there's a risk/reward question worth pursuing.

On the twenty-eight, it's just not being willing to fight for 60 minutes with your troops, to me. It's like you just want to get off the field. Sure a young team could make a mistake, but they could follow with a big play too. 70 yards, you can afford some mistakes.

I don't think it's ever good to lose. But i give you credit for having the balls to come up with your own perspective instead of seeing which way the wind blows before you line up in some camp.

I don't mind being a lightning rod. All coaches and all teams fluctuate as far as desire and focus goes. I think BB is showing some signs of disinterest, as he is not finishing games like he used to IMO. That goes for Brady also. Hail Mary's and gimmick play don't substitute for concentration and clock management.

If anyone learns from this, it could be the coach and veterans. I think you'll see a different intensity in future close games, remember, in 2007, we got away from the need to bear down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots