PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer reminds me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bert Jones -- all I can think of is the time he was tackled just as the half ended and the ref was a bit late getting out the little cap gun they used to end the half and fired it right in his ear, just as he was getting up. Bert was pretty PO'd. Anyone else remember that?

who ever said bert jones never saw bert jones. that guy could throw the ball thru a brick wall. maybe the biggest arm ever, in the nfl.

unfortunately, hoyer reminds me of sanchez.

I saw Bert Jones play but I was all of 8 the year he won the MVP so I don't remember him have a cannon of an arm as you're saying. I do remember how he looked when he threw and his scrambling a bit.

Wow - I sure didn't remember Brian Sipe winning the MVP - he's not a comparison I would have thought of, but probably the closest of that MVP group.

Bingo ! Bingo !! We have Bingo!!!

Brian Sipe is the guy we all settled on. Brian Sipe was totally unflappable. He was only of medium stature and did not have a cannon, and he was accurate, with a very deft touch.

But as Kapitan of his "Kardiac Kids", all he did was win. Sipe specialized in marching his team down the field in the last minutes, mixing runs and throws, throwing just better than and not-quite rink-a-dinks, until there was a mis-coverage or one of his guys got open, and then he would deliver the absolutely accurate and killing completion or TD, just unerringly and effortlessly.

Occasionally he would get flushed from the pocket and he would get a completion while rolling out, to his right, to a receiver with just the proper lead to enable the WR to run for needed YAC.

We never considered Gannon as he was much bigger and indeed did have a mild cannon.

Matt Hasselback name was was batted around, but their styles are a little too dissimilar. Sipe/Hoyer both have much stronger arms than Penny.

Bert Jones was taller and also had a bigger arm, until he had the shoulder injury. So did Ken Anderson who really had a cannon for a while.

Today there are many more big QB candidates, and weight training have given many very strong arms.

But Sipe won using his head and throwing where the other guys were not. Hoyer displays the same skill. We also considered Len Dawson, but he didn't seem to do it effortlessly, yet the way he attacked a Defense was similar.

Someone suggested Montana and their arm strengths are very similar; and Montana always threw where the other guys were not. But the physical styles are not quite the same, although I definitely like the choice. He was my second choice, but in the final analysis Montana had a little more physical skills.

How many agree with the eerie seemingly effortless similarities between Brian Sipe and Brian Hoyer? How many would agree with Montana? ;)

For now I think this but I think he
has a higher ceiling ... who knows right now.

images

Thank you for this reminder of one of my most misplaced preseason crushes. My brother and I were so desperate for someone to subplant Steve Grogan, we referred to your choice as "Matt the God" or "Apollo Cavanaugh."

Tom Tupa?

10char

So far he reminds me a little of Tony Eason. In any case it's great that we're even comparing our UDFA gem to such lofty contemporaries.

How many agree with the eerie seemingly effortless similarities between Brian Sipe and Brian Hoyer? How many would agree with Montana? ;)

While I made the suggestion (and let me take this opportunity to thank all the little posters), I actually think the better comparison is between Sipe and Montana - Sipe being a somewhat shorter, not-as-good version of Montana. Hoyer has a different, stockier build, different way of moving, different delivery. I also think his arm should not be characterized as "good" by NFL standards - I can't think of an NFL starter who doesn't have a stronger arm than he does - though, thankfully, Hoyer's arm is stronger than that idol of my younger years, Matt "the god" Cavanaugh. And other than his arm, I like just about everything about his game.

While I made the suggestion (and let me take this opportunity to thank all the little posters), I actually think the better comparison is between Sipe and Montana - Sipe being a somewhat shorter, not-as-good version of Montana. Hoyer has a different, stockier build, different way of moving, different delivery. I also think his arm should not be characterized as "good" by NFL standards - I can't think of an NFL starter who doesn't have a stronger arm than he does - though, thankfully, Hoyer's arm is stronger than that idol of my younger years, Matt "the god" Cavanaugh. And other than his arm, I like just about everything about his game.

Penny, Orton, and Sanchez and maybe McNabb don't have Hoyer's arm. Penny has the equal in accuracy, as does Orton, but Sanchez is scattershot, by comparison. Anyone who wants to question Hoyers arm merely needs to watch the seam route TD throw to Gronkowski. He needed to rifle it and he did, yet still kept the accuracy. Most of the time he would rather throw a touch pass releasing it just a moment sooner, as it is easier to catch, and ensure a completion.

Easy, almost effortless, passing is similar in Hoyer and Sipes' passing style.

He reminds me of Rohan Davey.... Sure, the mechanics are a little off, as is the pocket presence, grasp of the playbook, and just about any other facet of their "on-field" skills.

Still........ I just get that sense.

Perhaps it's because Rohan was that last guy to hold TFB's clipboard when he hoisted the Lombardi. ;)

Last edited:
Penny, Orton, and Sanchez and maybe McNabb don't have Hoyer's arm. Penny has the equal in accuracy, as does Orton, but Sanchez is scattershot, by comparison. Anyone who wants to question Hoyers arm merely needs to watch the seam route TD throw to Gronkowski. He needed to rifle it and he did, yet still kept the accuracy. Most of the time he would rather throw a touch pass releasing it just a moment sooner, as it is easier to catch, and ensure a completion.

Easy, almost effortless, passing is similar in Hoyer and Sipes' passing style.

Isn't The Sanchize supposed to have a cannon arm? Or is that Stafford?

He reminds me of Rohan Davey.... Sure, the mechanics are a little off, as is the pocket presence, grasp of the playbook, and just about any other facet of their "on-field" skills.

Still........ I just get that sense.

Perhaps it's because Rohan was that last guy to hold TFB's clipboard when he hoisted the Lombardi. ;)

AnimatedBravoSmiley.gif

Hoyer reminds me of Brad Johnson.

He doesn't have a great arm or athleticism, but he is accurate, moves well in the pocket, makes good decisions, and is a solid leader.

Will he consistently make the necessary tough throws into heavy coverage to convert on 3rd and 12 that the great QBs make? probably not.

Will he "win" you a Super Bowl? no. But he could certainly be a Super Bowl-winning QB on a very good team.

If Brady were to go down for 2-4 games, I'd feel comfortable that Hoyer would keep the ship afloat.

Hoyer reminds me of Brad Johnson.

He doesn't have a great arm or athleticism, but he is accurate, moves well in the pocket, makes good decisions, and is a solid leader.

Will he consistently make the necessary tough throws into heavy coverage to convert on 3rd and 12 that the great QBs make? probably not.

Will he "win" you a Super Bowl? no. But he could certainly be a Super Bowl-winning QB on a very good team.

If Brady were to go down for 2-4 games, I'd feel comfortable that Hoyer would keep the ship afloat.

Interesting comparison. I tend to think of Brad Johnson as a Big Man 6-5 235#. Passing styles are similar though. Size aside, I can see it. I think Hoyer has a higher upside though. Hoyer is a potential starter level; Johnson was always a verge of second string guy, even though he started some.

Heh! Will I sound like a COMPLETE sphincter if I say the Sipe comparison was obvious? :eek:

I mean that as a COMPLIMENT, by the way, to the FootBall acumen of you ~ which FAR outstrips my own, I don't at all mind admitting ~ and your friends. :cool:

Can I persuade you to comment on a Brian Hoyer ~ Phil Simms comparison? Similarities, Differences...Projection??

My favorite thing about Hoyer ~ who is the ONLY back up QB I've been excited about in the Imperial Era ~ is that he is an HOCKEY PLAYER: Absolute SCRAPPER of a FootBall player. Balls of STEEL.

Heh! Will I sound like a COMPLETE sphincter if I say the Sipe comparison was obvious? :eek:

I mean that as a COMPLIMENT, by the way, to the FootBall acumen of you ~ which FAR outstrips my own, I don't at all mind admitting ~ and your friends. :cool:

Can I persuade you to comment on a Brian Hoyer ~ Phil Simms comparison? Similarities, Differences...Projection??

My favorite thing about Hoyer ~ who is the ONLY back up QB I've been excited about in the Imperial Era ~ is that he is an HOCKEY PLAYER: Absolute SCRAPPER of a FootBall player. Balls of STEEL.

I used to like to watch Brian Sipe play. Nobody popped into my head as far as comparisons, but let us all hope he keeps progressing.

Phil Simms was a complete athlete and also a Thinking man's football QB. But Simms was a much better triangle guy than Hoyer. That was why he was a first round pick.

He had every skill you would want as a QB including a cannon when he wanted it. Hoyers arm isn't it the same league, and is merely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back