Brian Hoyer ready...if

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Brian Hoyer ready... if - BostonHerald.com

Brian Hoyer will be wearing his helmet on the sidelines.

That’s how the backup quarterback prepares. He straps on his chinstrap on the chance that starter Tom Brady [stats] is injured, suffers an equipment failure or anything in between.

“When we’re on offense, I stand and try to watch the other team’s defense,” Hoyer said, “but I always have my helmet on — ready to go just in case. You never know when your name’s going to get called.”

This is the life of a second-string quarterback.

I hadn't realized Hoyer kept his helmet on at all times during the game. Kind of quirky, but I like it.

Then again, maybe he's terrified of getting a concussion from an errant pass, like what happened to William Hayes of the Titans.

The coaching staff must have a ton of confidence in Hoyer if they kept him as the only back-up even as an UDFA. Now in his second year, he seems to be developing behind the scenes. He's looked pretty good in the few flashes he's played, mostly last year's season finale against Texas.

He must be doing yeoman's work with the scout team while being the only backup, too. I hope he gets in for most of the second half and gets a shot at playing some with the ones. Would be nice to see some of the poise Cassel exhibited when given a shot to exhibit that against Miami back in 2005. I always knew after that he'd be viable if we ever needed him. Would really boost his value as a trading chip down the road too... In a 32 team league starved for functional QB talent two of the QB's Bill identified and developed as backups are leading their teams into the round of 12 playoffs.

He must be doing yeoman's work with the scout team while being the only backup, too. I hope he gets in for most of the second half and gets a shot at playing some with the ones. Would be nice to see some of the poise Cassel exhibited when given a shot to exhibit that against Miami back in 2005. I always knew after that he'd be viable if we ever needed him. Would really boost his value as a trading chip down the road too... In a 32 team league starved for functional QB talent two of the QB's Bill identified and developed as backups are leading their teams into the round of 12 playoffs.

They do have a QB3 on the practice squad, Jonathan Crompton.

He's the next Matt Cassel, mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back