PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Daboll: turncoat passes on job of a lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It was reported that following the 2007 Pro Bowl, B. Daboll approached BB and asked to be removed from his position as Pats' WR coach and moved to Quarterbacks coach. This request was denied, and Daboll left the team and sulked his way to Jets, another Benedict Arnold in the Border Slaughter. Was he awash in self-pity? Exasperated by what he perceived as the Pats' "lack of talent" at the position? Cursing career road-blocks real or imagined? We can only speculate what takes place behind the BB curtain. If Daboll had just held on for another year, he would have helmed the best pass catching corps in the NFL, and become the O-coordinator of the NEP in 2008 after McDaniels' hire as HC of the Browns. Daboll may even have become heir apparent to the NFL throne. Such are life's cruel lessons for the impatient.

Last edited:
getting way ahead of yourself there i think

Isn't he the QBs coach now with the Jets? So it worked out OK for him.

And where is poor Romeo going??

Why is McDaiels the front runner for Cleveland and

Why is Romeo already gone?

Isn't he the QBs coach now with the Jets? So it worked out OK for him.
Yeah, it would have been hell if he had to be WR coach with the duds we have in NE this year. How can you get to be an OC if the receivers you coach don't make you look good.

I'm sure Noodle Arm will do the trick for him.

I see Pony is helping out Ricky Williams dealer during this dry spell.

If they whack Crennel, I doubt they'll go back to the Patriots assistant well. The fans will want something different, I think, although I guess there's the connection of Quinn being familiar with the offense coming from Weis.

Just speculation based on the Pats' offensive explosion and the probable struggle of the Browns in '08 in a very tough division, where Romeo will be the scapegoat for some bad personnel decisions. Yes, my Jet hatred is emerging from hibernation after Mangina's snippy post-draft presser. If I have unfairly painted Daboll with broad brush, how could he have expected anything else moving to the Jets of all teams?

Last edited:
If I have unfairly painted Daboll with broad brush, how could he have expected anything else moving to the Jets of all teams?
Seriously? How do you help Noodle-arm play within himself and succeed on the field? Clemens is a bright young prospect to mould. QB coach is the stepping stone to Offensive Coordinator, hate the Jets all you want but let's not get carried away. I actually like that Mangini had a good first season and seems to be doing well so far in the offseason, the tougher this division is the better for the Pats as they tune-up for playoff-level competition. Miami under Cam is already worrying me, dead fish odor on their cleats could be a distraction in the locker room at Gillette.

Yeah, it would have been hell if he had to be WR coach with the duds we have in NE this year. How can you get to be an OC if the receivers you coach don't make you look good.

I'm sure Noodle Arm will do the trick for him.

He left for a better position, and a better opportunity to move up to OC either with the Jets, or another team down the line. No brainer. I don't think he's cursing his luck.

Yes, my Jet hatred is emerging from hibernation after Mangina's snippy post-draft presser. If I have unfairly painted Daboll with broad brush, how could he have expected anything else moving to the Jets of all teams?

Hey, Jet hate I can understand:D What did Mangini say post draft?

Daboll wanted a promotion from being a WR coach to a QB coach. BB didn't want to give it to him, so daboll left for his promotion in NY where he got it.
It could be argued that he may have been better off long term if he stayed with the pats but in the short term he got what he wanted in NY.

The Pats didn't even have a QB coach last season, because Tom doesn't need one. Daboll was begging out of his WR post, pining for the cushy job managing the game's ultimate game manager. He was tired of doing dirty work fitting together misfit toys. If anyone thinks being Chad Petticoat's caddy is a promotion over Pats' WR coach they are burdened with a misconception.

Last edited:
Daboll wanted a promotion from being a WR coach to a QB coach. BB didn't want to give it to him, so daboll left for his promotion in NY where he got it.
It could be argued that he may have been better off long term if he stayed with the pats but in the short term he got what he wanted in NY.

As a rabid Pats fan I hate the Jets and Daboll is a Benedict Arnold for going there, but as a working person I can see why he left for a promotion. Whether in the long run he would have been better off by staying here IF we win the SB again and Josh leaves a vacancy to become a HC somewhere is impossible to predict with any certainty. Daboll took the bird in the hand. For his sake I hope it's not crow.

As a rabid Pats fan I hate the Jets and Daboll is a Benedict Arnold for going there, but as a working person I can see why he left for a promotion. Whether in the long run he would have been better off by staying here IF we win the SB again and Josh leaves a vacancy to become a HC somewhere is impossible to predict with any certainty. Daboll took the bird in the hand. For his sake I hope it's not crow.
'Zactly, I could give a rat that he's with the Jest, so was BB. I want to see him prosper since it reflects well on BB and the Pats, the same way Ozzie Newsome reflects well on BB even if his bird in the hand is crow. His players can manage to make the games close before they lose to the Pats, a nice steamrolling is slow TV, I'll take the Superbowl cliffhangers the Pats are famous for over that Chicago meltdown in Miami.

The Pats didn't even have a QB coach last season, because Tom doesn't need one.
I would disagree. Even the great Tom Brady needs a QB coach. There is always areas he can improve on. That why he continues to try to improve during the offseason. One area that concerns me is his ball protection. Tom Brady fumbled the ball 12 times last year, there is no question he can do a better job at ball protection and a coach can help. This is just one area, there are many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes