PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Daboll Goes to the Jest

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've lost a lot of offensive coaching talent. Where are the replacements?
In the past two years, Daboll is the first to leave. OC, OL, RB, TE they're all still there. And based on experience I have little doubt they're all more important than Daboll.

This looks like a lateral move which Belichick is allowing - I doubt he's too bothered by it.

Am I the only one upset that there are only 12 coaches on this staff these last few years? Would a few more coaches have been able to prevent 12 men in the huddle? Arrrgh! I'm still upset about that stupid game:mad:
I thought it was established that that was Fears' responsibity. Now you want a committee to do it ? I would like them to add a QB coach if they think one's needed other than that we're fine.

What the Pats may do is use Ivan Fears as the receivers coach and

Joel Collier as the runnings backs coach. They have extensive experience

in these specialties. This would mean that they would need a defensive

backfield coach or Belichick himself might help with the defensive backs.

The only fear I have is that maybe Troy Brown follows him to the Jets - that was a real possibility last offseason until Kraft stepped in. If that had happened, last season would have been a disaster.

If Mangina's goal is to tick off BB & the Patriots, I think it is working. He takes players, interfering in negotiations with payers (Deion), pries away coaches and seemingly gets under BB's skin (Re: handshakegate).

It's time for NE to strike back and steal a layer or two from NY (if they have any worth getting).

I don't know why BD would leave and I wonder why the Patriots would let him just walk? Maybe he does suck and it time for him to go,

Time for something to be done in order to restore our dominance both on and off the field. OK, I guess we are dominant and shouldn't even allow the lowly Jets to even think they bother us, but I just don't like it.

The only fear I have is that maybe Troy Brown follows him to the Jets - that was a real possibility last offseason until Kraft stepped in. If that had happened, last season would have been a disaster.

OR.....

Troy retires and is named the Patriots new reciever's coach.

OR.....

Troy retires and is named the Patriots new reciever's coach.

Player/coach Troy Brown :)

Honestly, no way would Belichick simply have Brown around to coach - he's too valuable (as BB would say) 'in all phases of the game'.

BelicheckFan: In the past two years, Daboll is the first to leave. OC, OL, RB, TE they're all still there. And based on experience I have little doubt they're all more important than Daboll.

This looks like a lateral move which Belichick is allowing - I doubt he's too bothered by it.

I have to take issue with the ASSUMPTION made not just by BelicheckFan but by several others in thread that:

This looks like a lateral move which Belichick is allowing

To the best of my recollection.....One of the outcomes of the whole BB -Jests - Patriots debacle was a resorting of the rules on hirign of coaches and reimbursement for stealing another teams guys.

The rule on you can't steal a coach without permission unless he is going to a higher position; I thought ONLY APPLIED TO THE COORDINATORS.

Just like the rule about paying draft picks as compensation ONLY APPLIES TO HEAD COACHES.

Again I could be wrong; but I don't think a lateral move for a position coach can be blocked by the Patriots.

From Daboll's perspective he probably has reasons to leave. His resume sounds like he wants to be an OC and maybe a HC someday. If so; i am sure he wants to get some time at OTHER POSITIONS and maybe even THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL. If he can coach wrs; I would think he can probably coach DBs too.

All that said.
I must be old fashioned...its called LOYALTY
:ditto:

I don't like the idea that a guy who was that in tune with how we wanted to manipulate defenses to make TB a success is now on the other side of the field TWO TIMES A YEAR AT LEAST!!!!!!!!.

That sux.

To the best of my recollection.....One of the outcomes of the whole BB -Jests - Patriots debacle was a resorting of the rules on hirign of coaches and reimbursement for stealing another teams guys.

The rule on you can't steal a coach without permission unless he is going to a higher position; I thought ONLY APPLIED TO THE COORDINATORS.

Doesn't some team (Tampa Bay?) have a reputation for not allowing its assistant coaches to be interviewed by other teams? That would seem to be evidence against your recollection.

Doesn't some team (Tampa Bay?) have a reputation for not allowing its assistant coaches to be interviewed by other teams? That would seem to be evidence against your recollection.

Yeah I think the Chargers just blocked some assistants from interviewing elsewhere to try to stop the bleeding.

Last year Tampa blocked several assistants from leaving to follow Marinelli to Detroit, so I don't think there was a change that allows assistants to move laterally.

Again I could be wrong; but I don't think a lateral move for a position coach can be blocked by the Patriots.
Yes it can.

If the coach is under contract, the current team has to give permission unless the coach would be a head coach. Lateral move ? Absolutely he needs permission. Promotion to Coordinator ? He STILL needs permission. Saban wanted to interview then LB coach Dean Pees to be Miami's DC and Belichick didn't grant permission (which worked out nicely as we needed a DC a year later).

If the coach is under contract, he must get permission unless he's leaving to become a Head Coach.

1. What? Since Daboll has been here, we have drafted three second round picks, Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson, a fifth round pick (PK Sam) and two late picks, David Givens and Sean Morey.

Of the six, only two have been any good to us. Four busts out of a group of six that are not just seventh round picks, but include three second rounders.

How can you be calling Chad Jackson a bust already?
Also, Sean Morey was drafted in the 7th round of 1999. That was a Bobby Grier draft.

Daboll has had Branch, Johnson, Givens and Jackson to work with, draftees wise. Right now he is 2 for 4 with 1 being an incomplete.

[We acquired two WRs in trade for fifth round picks, Andre Johnson and Doug Gabriel, who Daboll didn't exactly mold into part of a dominant unit.

How can you hold it against Daboll that Gabriel was a malcontent? If you are going to blame anyone for Gabriel, blame BB and Pioli.

We gave Donald Hayes a decent salary and a one million signing bonus, definately was not a castoff.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Hayes signed in 2002, the 1st year that Daboll was the receivers coach?

2. The Patriots wide receivers form a dominant unit? Dominant against who? Bishop Stang High School?

If there is one thing the Pats WR unit is NOT and has NOT been, it is a dominant unit.

While the Pats WR unit hasn't been dominant, You have to give Daboll credit for helping Branch and Givens develop. The Pats WR corps has been doing pretty well over the last 6 years.

No, you're not the only one.

There is no excuse for having the fewest coaches in the league. Again.

Coaches' salaries are not limited by the cap. Spend the $$, BB, and bring in some new blood. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something...like not to attempt a pass on 3rd & 2, when you're trying to chew some clock, so your defense, which, in allowing an almost 7-minute TD drive to open the 2nd half, is collapsing before your very eyes, can take a few deep breaths and compose itself...

I, too, am obviously still upset about that effin game.

Oh, and by the way...Eff the Fat Bastard and any traitor who jumps ship for merely a lateral move.

How would having another coach on the sidelines have prevented Evans from going into the huddle? Ivan Fears is the one responsible for RBs changes. Obviously either McDaniels or Fears messed up and sent Evans in by accident.

The Pats have had the fewest number of coaches in the league since BB came here. Why would anyone think that would change now?

Brian Daboll. He's dead to me now.:mad:

One does have to wonder if someone like Dabol sees a Josh McDaniels promoted over him and sees the need to go elsewhere.

Seems to me that early on in the season - whether it was McDaniels, Dabol or decisions made by BB, the WR strategic decisions were not covering up their deficiencies.

Only after the Miami game did we see more spread formations, and no-huddle hurry up offenses that kept Defenses off kilter and allowed better WR and offensive production overall.

Who deserves credit/blame for the earlier lack strategy and the later adaptations? Dabol, McDaniels? BB? None of us know or can say, but it is clear that they both adapted their strategy and, to a degree, no doubt the WRs improved their play and timing with Brady.

But again, Daboll's move could be in reaction to a need to move up the ranks, and with a young OC who the coach promoted ahead of guys like Daboll, one can understand him wanting to make a move.

But again, Daboll's move could be in reaction to a need to move up the ranks, and with a young OC who the coach promoted ahead of guys like Daboll, one can understand him wanting to make a move.

Ya know I think Schottenheimer does not have long for the Jets, I thought he did an excellent job with that offense last year and with his pedigree, I don't think it will be long before he is offered a HC job himself. Daboll probably sees the opportunity to move up at the Jets as being much easier than with the Pats. In any event, I agree with the fellow poster, he's dead to me now too :)

More reason to hate the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back