PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Billick Explains 2-TE Offensive Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
NFL Video Galleries

Pretty interesting, and he uses the Bears offense as the example team.

With 2 quality tight ends, an offense can start out with 2 TE's on each side, but before the snap can adjust by sliding one TE in front of the HB to create an I formation, or slide TE's out to create 3 or 4-WR sets. You could create passing and running mismatches all over the place.

It's too bad Watson and Thomas aren't good enough triple threats at blocking, route running, and catching. A 2-TE offensive lineup of Moss, Welker, and 2 quality tight ends could create a complete monster offense. Unfortunately our current TE's aren't above average blockers, and Watson does not have good hands. I miss Graham.

Last edited:
Re: OT Brian Billick Explains 2-TE Offensive Sets

I don't know about you, but that sheds some light (for me anyways) on to why BB ALWAYS takes TEs in the draft.

Agreed, Bill spent so many high picks on tight ends because of the versatility of the position and the huge potential for match-up problems. If only Watson could improve his blocking and hands...

Btw, I love how some bitter poster still pissed that I dared to criticize the OC, gave me 3 stars for this thread

Last edited:

NFL Video Galleries

Pretty interesting, and he uses the Bears offense as the example team.

With 2 quality tight ends, an offense can start out with 2 TE's on each side, but before the snap can adjust by sliding one TE in front of the HB to create an I formation, or slide TE's out to create 3 or 4-WR sets. You could create passing and running mismatches all over the place.

It's too bad Watson and Thomas aren't good enough triple threats at blocking, route running, and catching. A 2-TE offensive lineup of Moss, Welker, and 2 quality tight ends could create a complete monster offense. Unfortunately our current TE's aren't above average blockers, and Watson does not have good hands. I miss Graham.

Graham sucked too...i think David Thomas will be the best from the group when it's all said and done. No Dimension Ben Waton is a complete waste of time out there...looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Speaking of Patriots TE's i can think all the way back to Greg Batty - Marv Cook and Ben Coates...none of whom were First Rounders...like the bunch of Stiffs BB drafted in the First.:mad:

Thanks for posting...I had missed that. I'll help bring the "stars up" for you.

It seems like most NFL Tight Ends are one-dimensional; they're either good blockers with hands of stone, or essentially big receivers who can't handle their blocking assignments.

It seems like most NFL Tight Ends are one-dimensional; they're either good blockers with hands of stone, or essentially big receivers who can't handle their blocking assignments.

The thing is, I don't think Watson or Thomas are one dimensional. They're doing much better on the block and they can both catch balls. All of our guys have drops this season, including critical ones.

We don't have a Witten (RTE) or a Graham (BTE) but I really think our guys fall squarely in the middle, Ben being my fave of the two.

The thing is, I don't think Watson or Thomas are one dimensional. They're doing much better on the block and they can both catch balls. All of our guys have drops this season, including critical ones.

We don't have a Witten (RTE) or a Graham (BTE) but I really think our guys fall squarely in the middle, Ben being my fave of the two.

I can agree with that assessment. I think that even though Watson and Thomas are average to at best above average, I think a 2-TE formation could be our best offensive formation. There is no need to put Evans in there too often. I generally don't like formations like the I formation or 5-wide where it is blatantly obvious that the play is a run or a pass. With 2-TE we can pound the ball if we want to, set up some play action if the D keys on the run too much, and also get it to Moss and Welker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye