PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Baldinger: Belichick's defense is outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.
He spent 15 minutes trying to articulate this theory on the air with DA tonight and what it comes down to is he wants Bill to scrap his system and become the JETS whom he says aren't nearly as talented as us but they do what they have to do in "today's" NFL. I guess that's why they are 3-2 as well...albeit throwing each other under the bus this week because they don't have a core defensive philisophy beyond changing coaches every 3 years and talking smack until the wheels fall off their wagon and they start pointing fingers at each other. I'll take BB's system and the long view any time. Even in perhaps a slightly overly postponed transition.

Would that be the same Jet team in which were ate up by the Miami Wildcat last week?

Our defensive game plan in the games we lost was to have our offense score more than ZERO points in the second half. "Bend don't break" is very reasonable when all you need from your offense is a field goal in the second half of a game.

Maybe the offense is so aweful that the defense needs to be more aggresive and do better than being a top 10 defense and to hold the defenses to 17 points a game. If that is the case, then changes will need to be made in game plans.

Maybe the offense is so aweful that the defense needs to be more aggresive and do better than being a top 10 defense and to hold the defenses to 17 points a game. If that is the case, then changes will need to be made in game plans.

This is an offense that should be putting up 30 points per game against nearly everyone. Bend but don't break is fine when you've got a 31-10 lead, but it's not okay in overtime.

Our defensive game plan in the games we lost was to have our offense score more than ZERO points in the second half. "Bend don't break" is very reasonable when all you need from your offense is a field goal in the second half of a game.

In retrospect this is true but I would not call expected offense output as a defense plan.

In totality the defense was able to hold the score down. But remember Denver's offense is a weak offense going into the game and have lots of miscues during the game.

What the defense failed in is what BB would call "situational football". When it is called upon in key situations to make a stop it failed miserably. (as in giving up two 90+ yard TDs and faile on the only possession in overtime).

Key situational football, outcome is a complete failure.

Because Marshall and Royal are big plays waiting to happen. If you miss a jam it could be six. You don't have that problem with the Ravens' crappy receivers. With the Pats ahead it made sense to play conservatively on D. Since we would've won if our offense could've generated a measly FG in the second half, I think the defensive plan was sound.

I understand what you're saying. It makes perfect sense. But consider this: Why not take a chance once in a while? We have Brandon Meriweather in the back field. Orton does manage to get the ball down field, we have the personnel to either knock it down or pick it off. Also, Orton's down field accuracy has been questioned. He is very good at throwing the short routes, but the long ball is not his strong suit.

While we did marginalize their run game, we did not stop the passing game. We played into their hands by simply making Orton pass the ball. Instead, we should have challenged Orton to move the ball while he was being pressured. If his only open receiver is 25 yards down field, but he has a 250lbs line backer breathing down his neck and he has to throw that ball off his back foot, he most likely won't be able to make that pass.

I understand what you're saying. It makes perfect sense. But consider this: Why not take a chance once in a while? We have Brandon Meriweather in the back field. Orton does manage to get the ball down field, we have the personnel to either knock it down or pick it off. Also, Orton's down field accuracy has been questioned. He is very good at throwing the short routes, but the long ball is not his strong suit.

While we did marginalize their run game, we did not stop the passing game. We played into their hands by simply making Orton pass the ball. Instead, we should have challenged Orton to move the ball while he was being pressured. If his only open receiver is 25 yards down field, but he has a 250lbs line backer breathing down his neck and he has to throw that ball off his back foot, he most likely won't be able to make that pass.

Scheme and adjustments are always available and should be reviewed. I would bet bifandan femine things that BB would make some different adjustments.

The question is:

Is the defense outdated? Well, no.

Someone should ask Baldinger the Clown why he said Baltimore's defense is so
dominant the week before the Pat's game.

Someone should ask Baldy the Clown where Cincy got the genius idea to bracket Mson and where Bills opponents got the idea to shut down TO/Evans

Baldy the Clown should explain why he has been creaming himself talking up the SF defense and why they gave up 45 points in SF. Yet somehow the "outmoded" defense limits them to10.

These are "pundits". In other words, they are too stupid to do anything else in football and gather a check. They have zero way of following 32 teams so they say stupid things to get ratings and a paycheck.

I'm not worried at all about this defense. They have struggled in the past to beat guys like Jake Plummer and Jay Feeley, and it looks like Kyle Orton is in that same mold. Truth is, there just aren't very many QBs in this league patient and accurate enough to take advantage of what NE gives them.

Didn't anyone hear how McDaniel's was getting the D to expose themselves according to Bruschi? Makes a lot of sense and needs adjustments.

Seau is also coming to call formation changes imo.

I recommend that you read what Tedy Bruschi had to say. It might influence you to wait and see what happens for a few more games.

I recommend that you read what Tedy Bruschi had to say. It might influence you to wait and see what happens for a few more games.

Do you have a link to that? I would be interested in reading that.

Whose responsibility is it to draft talent? Is it the routine of blame-the-other-guy again? Bill is never wrong.

What? I'm not blaming anyone else. But this topic is about if BB defense is out dated, not if he's been a good drafter.

Brian Baldinger is out-dated.

Re: Brian Baldinger:Belichick's defense is outdated

I think that's a copout. The Giants have $100 million tied up into one player on offense and have still managed to put out a top three defense for three years in a row. Right now they're at number one.

And with 2-4 starters out on defense every game . . . but mostly against bad teams.

Every year it seems as those most fans use the same old tired excuse, injuries. The problem with this defense is that for the past 5 years this team has lost more impact players than it has picked up. Besides Mayo there are no game changing play makers on the defense. This is a defense that has to play a 4-3 or dime 95% of the time because of it's lack of quality linebackers.

What? I'm not blaming anyone else. But this topic is about if BB defense is out dated, not if he's been a good drafter.

He drafted these players if it did not work he should revise his draft philosophy or change his defense scheme. The revolving door of veteran free agencts has not worked; bringing out Rosie Colvin and Junior Seau from retirement does not inspire any confidence in anyone. It reeks desperation.

Message to BB ; Lawrence Taylor isn't walking through that door.

Out of all the LB's drafted in the past few years, Mayo is the only one worth a first round pick ?

Better get some scouts who know a good linebacker when they see one.
It seems that BB is only looking for another Lawrence Taylor, and those guys are pretty rare.

Finally got to watch this video.

The thing that amuses me is this: BB's defense is OUTDATED? This makes NO sense on the heels of the comments that "Mayo is back" and "they switched to the 4-3 because of Mayo's injury" - none.

Moreover, you think the coaches aren't seeing this video? Not the NFLN one, though they likely have, but the lack of pressure? They'll get it figured out and today could be the day. I'm not worried yet.

Baldinger is one of the best ex-jock analysts out there. He's smart, he studies the league, he has no axes to grind, and he communicates well. What Baldy should have also mentioned, is that our offense is more out-dated than our defense. In fact, our HC may himself be out-dated.

Water seeks it's own level, as always. Baldinger can use a telestrator to break down plays as they unfolded in hindsight. He has no idea how they were supposed to be executed nor does he have any meaningful experience in evaluating talent pre NFL or system snap. He's also got zero game plans in the HOF. That's something he has in common with the keyboard analysts bloviating on this message board.

Looked pretty outdated today. 59-0 is very bad. It should of been 59 to -14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back