PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer (yes, Breer) Tale of the Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this paragraph to be the most interesting:

AREA OF WEAKNESS: One area where the Chargers were excellent, and the Giants figure to make hay, is throwing against the Patriots base defensive personnel. When the Patriot 3-4 was on the field, Rivers was terrific, reading the coverage and finding gaping holes between the intermediate and deep levels of the zone. The trouble for New England is that, in their base, they have bigger safeties who can’t break on the ball that well, and those inside linebackers are build to stuff the run and not to cover. That creates holes, generally either over the middle of the field or in the deep third. What it has to be, for opposing teams, is a willingness to throw on early downs, thus creating short-yardage and keeping the Patriots out of their sub packages, where more athletic players are in coverage, and New England can load the field with solid pass rushers.

People here seem to overlook this and blame safety problems on the corners, especially on Hobbs.

This goes back a long way, when the run defense was struggling in 2002. In one of the books, there was suggestion that BB thought it was a case of robbing peter to pay paul - i.e., the pass defense (in particular the LB's) was such a liability that the defense had to cheat towards defending the pass, thus allowing the gashing runs.

People here seem to overlook this and blame safety problems on the corners, especially on Hobbs.

Which is why I am constantly amazed that teams don't run a no-huddle (not a hurry-up) against the Pats. If I were the Giants, I would call every offensive play from the LOS, not the huddle.

Which is why I am constantly amazed that teams don't run a no-huddle (not a hurry-up) against the Pats. If I were the Giants, I would call every offensive play from the LOS, not the huddle.

The key is if that if BB and his D know whats coming, its almost impossible to move the ball on them.
The trick is to keep them off balance, ie throw against the base D.
This has been happening FOREVER. Shanahan, who has had as much success against BBs Ds as anyone has said, the key is to throw the ball against our base package on 1st down, when the priority is the run.
Shanahan has been able to do this, because the BB philosophy is that you do not allow a running team to run on first down.

Ultimately, the underlying current of BBs philosophy is if you are going to beat me you have to do one of 2 things:
1) Execute so incredibly we cant stop you no matter what we do
2) Do what you really dont want to do. That is we are going to defend what we know you want to do. And we will take that away. For you to beat us do (1) or you must succeed at doing what you would prefer not to do situationally. Really, what we are doing is asking teams to do very well, the exact thing they aren't real good at. The result? Teams will make plays (that will make it seem like we are vulnerable) such as the ones he is talking about. The plays we leave out there for them are the ones we think they are least likely to consistently make. They ultimately are unable to sustain it.
I think this also comes into play with young and backup QBs. Early in the game there are plays there for them to make if they can make them. As the game wears on they feel we are vulnerable to certain things. They seem to not recognize that it is situational. They go back to them when we are playing to a different situaiton, and they fail miserably.

Like the colts in last year AFC game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye