PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer with of course the doomsday scenario with Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon

Good ones.

I (personally) think Dillon should get real consideration, but his career stats go largely unnoticed it seems. I don't think he will ever get in.

Rodney should get in eventually. But there is some what of a log jam before him. So let's hope after Brady is done, it opens the door a little more.

Guys waiting (in no order)

Eric Allen, Steve Atwater, Joey Browner, LeRoy Butler, Brian Dawkins ,Ty Law, John Lynch, Dennis Smith, Troy Vincent Everson Walls, Darren Woodson, Polomalu

During Gronk's first contract he wasn't all over the media like he is now. Part of that was he wasn't known but remember year two he broke all the TE records. Say what you want about team Gronk but he's very proud about not spending any of his NFL contract money. I'm only saying this is plausible but consider Team Gronk said playing in NE is our ticket to maximizing our worth. The Patriots came to him to renegotiate and he signed a very team friendly deal. I could see team Gronk saying we want to be here but you know like we know we could get a LOT more on the open market. We'll take the deal with the caveat Rob does whatever advertisements and endorsements he wants and you don't say boo about it.

IMO everybody wins in that deal and I bet Gronk has earned more between salary and endorsements here than he would any place else and that's not even factoring in future earnings after he retires and works for the WWE, does reality TV........he's set himself up for the long haul being it his plan or his families and done it so much better than any of us would have predicted.

Good ones.

I (personally) think Dillon should get real consideration, but his career stats go largely unnoticed it seems. I don't think he will ever get in.

Rodney should get in eventually. But there is some what of a log jam before him. So let's hope after Brady is done, it opens the door a little more.

Guys waiting (in no order)

Eric Allen, Steve Atwater, Joey Browner, LeRoy Butler, Brian Dawkins ,Ty Law, John Lynch, Dennis Smith, Troy Vincent Everson Walls, Darren Woodson, Polomalu

It continues to be complete BS that Rodney is being dissed by the HoF.

I would take him before every player you mention

He wants more?
I guess he does, APF. I can't say that I'm even mildly surprised, though. I don't see his return as the slam dunk many here seem to envision.

It continues to be complete BS that Rodney is being dissed by the HoF.

I would take him before every player you mention

Agreed, but obviously I'm biased as a Pats fan.

Atwater, Dennis Smith, Kenny Easly, Polomolu are all HOF'ers too IMO. All of them are deserving.

Gronk is the most dangerous weapon in the NFL and on a team friendly contract. Gronk works his ass off and we never hear that he's in trouble. Outside of the injury issue, WTF would you trade him for?

Agreed, but obviously I'm biased as a Pats fan.

Atwater, Dennis Smith, Kenny Easly, Polomolu are all HOF'ers too IMO. All of them are deserving.
Loved Kenny Easley and Atwater.

YouTube Atwater and Okoye . Greatest collision ever.

I love Gronk and wish he and Brady would play for another 20 years but I understand his situation. I also think he should consider leaving the game. That guy may look fine now after a few surgeries, but I fear it will all catch up to him when he is 40-50 and barely be able to walk. I met Earl Cambell this year and still can't how he looked out of my mind. It would be sad to see Gronk like that.

Loved Kenny Easley and Atwater.

YouTube Atwater and Okoye . Greatest collision ever.

Oh man. No need. I watched that hit live on MNF. Okoye was never the same after that. Atwater was ferocious.

Sometimes I think he over shadows Dennis Smith, who mentored him and was just as nasty a hitter.

Rodney IMO was the last of that breed. Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are both great, and the closest we have to it in today's game, but boy do I miss those safety's of the 80s and 90s. Monsters.

Gronk is the most dangerous weapon in the NFL and on a team friendly contract. Gronk works his ass off and we never hear that he's in trouble. Outside of the injury issue, WTF would you trade him for?

Add to that his value is at its lowest point and there is no way Belichick trades him this year. And it doesn't make sense for Gronk to attempt a hold out when his leverage is at its lowest point. The most likely scenario imo is Gronk returns for 2017 and tries to have the healthiest most productive year possible and then they revisit his deal to see if they can reach an extension, if not and someone is willing to give up a high pick for him then I could see Belichick making a deal, but only if he likes the terms.

It reportedly was just a one year extension and he wants something longer than that.
Wasn't that before the season? If the team is satisfied with his play and he likes playing here ( which as been reported- remember he was in that dumpster fire in Chicago) there can be room for a longer agreement, especially with Gronk's surgery........ giving Bennett financial guarantees he wants and the team the flexibility it wants...

Wasn't that before the season? If the team is satisfied with his play and he likes playing here ( which as been reported- remember he was in that dumpster fire in Chicago) there can be room for a longer agreement, especially with Gronk's surgery........ giving Bennett financial guarantees he wants and the team the flexibility it wants...

My understanding is that the offer was essentially a one year extension, and Bennettis right at the age where that's counterproductive. I think he would take a longer deal at around 6-7 per year if the guaranteed money is substantial. As good as he is I don't see teams going 8+ a year on an extended deal for him.

Rodney IMO was the last of that breed. Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are both great, and the closest we have to it in today's game, but boy do I miss those safety's of the 80s and 90s. Monsters.

Kam Chancellor's like that. The best safeties now like Berry, Thomas, McCourty, and Harrison Smith are mostly cover guys.

Add to that his value is at its lowest point and there is no way Belichick trades him this year. And it doesn't make sense for Gronk to attempt a hold out when his leverage is at its lowest point. The most likely scenario imo is Gronk returns for 2017 and tries to have the healthiest most productive year possible and then they revisit his deal to see if they can reach an extension, if not and someone is willing to give up a high pick for him then I could see Belichick making a deal, but only if he likes the terms.

Something I think almost everyone is forgetting. This may seem like a logical time to unload Gronk, and other teams know it, hence it's no longer logical.

Kam Chancellor's like that. The best safeties now like Berry, Thomas, McCourty, and Harrison Smith are mostly cover guys.

Yea, I omitted Chancellor but Berry and Thomas thump guys too. They come as close as you can to wiping a guy out without being "dirty" by todays standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back