PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Pats were counting on J. Taylor joining them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, BB's philosophy has been to get enough talented people on the field at a position so that there is competition. When in his history has he ever simply expected a free agent to sign and not done other moves? I can't think of an instance - but there are plenty of examples of him getting 2 or 3 bodies for 1 position (like CB this year).

Or cornerback EVERY year.

I still say that Burgess will be traded to NE by the season opener

Personally, I think we are going to get solid, if unspectacular, play from the OLB position this year. I think overall our defense is going to be very good, but not flashy, this year. I see a team defense that is greater than the sum of the parts.
Woods, Crable, TBC, Springs, Bodden, W&W, Chung, Guyton all will make varying contributions at their positions. I think we are better equipped with solid, under the radar, role type players than we have been in a long time.

Personally, I think we are going to get solid, if unspectacular, play from the OLB position this year. I think overall our defense is going to be very good, but not flashy, this year. I see a team defense that is greater than the sum of the parts.
Woods, Crable, TBC, Springs, Bodden, W&W, Chung, Guyton all will make varying contributions at their positions. I think we are better equipped with solid, under the radar, role type players than we have been in a long time.

One underrated aspect might be that BB might go with a bigger nickel package with less emphasis on disguising where the rush is from, and more emphasis on getting the best pass rushers in the game.

Mike Wright might've only tallied 2.5 sacks last year, but he applied good pressure as an interior rusher.

I think the best pass rushing lineup they could field might be with a 3-3. Green-Wright-Seymour up front, with AD rushing off the edge. Mayo & Guyton in coverage as the linebackers, but both with the ability to apply pressure with a blitz. Meriweather or Chung also hanging around the line of scrimmage w the possibility of blitzing.

Last edited:
I dont think we needed to get older on the LB spot and regardless,I dont think Jason Taylor really has much left in the tank - Look for a big dissapointment performance in Miami from #99,I say he has 2 sacks and not much more.

The future rests on the young guys like Woods and Crabel and they need to play NOW

However,I am betting that we will be seeing a guy named McGinest called up later in the season if the young guys are struggling,I really have a hunch its going to happen regardless of trying to get younger

McGinest says he might be offered a contract with Miami and we don't want to see him in Aqua so we better not let that happen.

It doesn't sound like New England is sold on what they have. In fact, there has been too many rumors linking the Pats in acquiring help at the LB spot. First, it was Peppers, then Taylor, Ellis and Burgess. Now we're hearing that the Pats were banking on Taylor to be a Pat. Although it would be nice to have Taylor, he's no guarantee to make the impact we all hope at OLB. I think we can conclude that the Pats aren't satisfied with what they have but haven't been able to get the right deal to fall in their lap. Unless the right deal becomes available, I don't see the Pats freaking out and trading a high draft pick for someone like Burgess. As much as I would like the Pats to upgrade the position, I think the Pats can get away with it until 2010 when big names could be available.
However,I am betting that we will be seeing a guy named McGinest called up later in the season if the young guys are struggling,I really have a hunch its going to happen regardless of trying to get younger
If indeed the LB's do struggle, the entire defense will struggle. As much as you guys think the D-line is the focus in the 3-4, at the end of the day, the LB's are the ones who make the plays happen. Even if the secondary is improved, the LB's have to step up and make a play by getting after the QB, setting the edge, guarding the TE and the underneath routes which the Pats have really stuggled defending in recent years. In the meantime, let's just hope Woods and Crable or even Banta-Cain can make some noise this training camp.

Last edited:
Thing is, though, the only thing fans and sportswriters have going in the off season IS rumor-mongering. Sportswriters use it to generate stories, fans use it to fill pages of chatrooms and messageboards. It is what it is.

I never believed for a moment that Taylor would be coming here. Those were simply rumors floated to generate traffic and see what interest other teams might have. They were there to help increase his net worth, and nothing more.

We don't need him, and we won't need. I suspect we'll be just fine the way we are. ;)

respects,

If indeed the LB's do struggle, the entire defense will struggle. As much as you guys think the D-line is the focus in the 3-4, at the end of the day, the LB's are the ones who make the plays happen. Even if the secondary is improved, the LB's have to step up and make a play by getting after the QB, setting the edge, guarding the TE and the underneath routes which the Pats have really stuggled defending in recent years. In the meantime, let's just hope Woods and Crable or even Banta-Cain can make some noise this training camp.

If Adalius Thomas went down with a season ending injury it could kill the teams chances of winning the SB - I think this team could have the worst LB corps in the league if Adalius was gone on IR and the team didn't get a big name to replace him,Mayo can't play all 4 spots - Crable,Banta-Cain,Woods and Redd simply would be a horrid lineup without any savvy veteran on the field - Could that scenerio be even worse than Brady in 2008?,Possibly

Last edited:

Me, I'd take the 2001 D performance. How 'spectacular' were Phifer at OLB and O.T.I.S. at CB? I think 2009 can be similar. Solid.

Breer was on the Boston Sports Show yesterday and said that the Pats were anticipating Jason Taylor signing with them, and that he was going to, until circumstances in his life changed. He said he is worried about the OLB depth on this squad b/c the Pats were really penciling him in at the position.

Meanwhile, Lobel reported that someone "high up in the Patriots" told him this is the most talented team they've ever fielded. The insinuation was that it came from Kraft himself, or someone nearing Kraft's level. I'll agree with that, and disagree with Breer's counter that OLB is too much of an unknown.

Where does this Breer person write again?:D

It doesn't sound like New England is sold on what they have. In fact, there has been too many rumors linking the Pats in acquiring help at the LB spot. First, it was Peppers, then Taylor, Ellis and Burgess. Now we're hearing that the Pats were banking on Taylor to be a Pat. Although it would be nice to have Taylor, he's no guarantee to make the impact we all hope at OLB. I think we can conclude that the Pats aren't satisfied with what they have but haven't been able to get the right deal to fall in their lap. Unless the right deal becomes available, I don't see the Pats freaking out and trading a high draft pick for someone like Burgess. As much as I would like the Pats to upgrade the position, I think the Pats can get away with it until 2010 when big names could be available.

Yeah, but the problem is that (A) the Pats don't say much, and (B) more importantly, once the media seizes onto a meme, they don't let go. I'm surprised they haven't linked Matt Wilhelm to the Patriots yet.

Belichick is an expert on linebackers.
He has 3 young ones he's been grooming for awhile now.
The fact he hasn't done anything to address the other OLB spot, especially after having the extra time to review the tape this off-season, should tell you enough about what he thinks.

I agree it's the most stacked Pats team ever. This team will be hard to stop this year in the playoffs, especially with a new coordinator.

And who might that be... I wonder if you can have autonomy absent even a title...

Fact: maverick4 is attracted to Josh McDaniels. Only way to explain the hard-on he obviously has for him.

Last edited:
I really think that was a rare Belichick miscalculation. All indications were that Taylor was coming to New England and that might have cooled the Pats on either acquiring another OLB in free agency, via trade, or higher in the draft. I wonder if he knew what he knows now, he would have made a stronger effort to get a Peppers trade done or to trade away Vrabel. It may not have changed his decision at all.

I think he is probably hoping they can pry Derrick Burgess away from the Raiders, but Al Davis can be very vendictive even to his own team's detriment (just ask Marcus Allen). I still think the OLB position opposite AD is the biggest single position question mark this team has right now. I am still am not confident that Woods or TBC can step up to be the full time starter and produce at least average.

Nonsense. The closest Taylor came here was when it was down to us and Miami, and that was after the draft.

They selected a LB in the draft and he went down (yeah I know different position). There were a ton of OLB or OLB projectees in this draft and yet BB never took one - maybe he was satisfied with what he had?

There are going to be trades, and camp cuts - stay tuned.

Peppers was never coming, go read up on the salary cap for a few hours, then look at our current roster and tell me how many guys you'd have to cut to get Peppers in here.

Belichick is an expert on linebackers.
He has 3 young ones he's been grooming for awhile now.
The fact he hasn't done anything to address the other OLB spot, especially after having the extra time to review the tape this off-season, should tell you enough about what he thinks.

The fact that he hasn't done anything to address the other OLB spot, other than:

- Make a higher offer to Taylor than Miami did
- Make an offer to Greg Ellis, that Oakland trumped
- Make an offer in the supplemental draft for college DE Jeremy Jarmon that Washington trumped

Apparently Belichick shares some concern.

that he was going to, until circumstances in his life changed.

Yeah, he got the annual statement from his portfolio manager after the stock crash and realized Miami would pay more than NE.

I really think that was a rare Belichick miscalculation. All indications were that Taylor was coming to New England and that might have cooled the Pats on either acquiring another OLB in free agency, via trade, or higher in the draft. I wonder if he knew what he knows now, he would have made a stronger effort to get a Peppers trade done or to trade away Vrabel. It may not have changed his decision at all.

I think he is probably hoping they can pry Derrick Burgess away from the Raiders, but Al Davis can be very vendictive even to his own team's detriment (just ask Marcus Allen). I still think the OLB position opposite AD is the biggest single position question mark this team has right now. I am still am not confident that Woods or TBC can step up to be the full time starter and produce at least average.

WE ALREADY know that Woods has played slightly better than competent. He has demonstrated that he is much better than average setting the edge. His pass rush is questionable. We want him to confirm some pass rush ability. He did produce only one sack after starting 3 games Over 16 games that would be 5 sacks from the position which is borderline fine. But the sample size is too little to be comfortable with. We want more evidence; but the Coaches have seen more, and they seem comfortable.:snob:

WE ALREADY know that Woods has played slightly better than competent. He has demonstrated that he is much better than average setting the edge. His pass rush is questionable. We want him to confirm some pass rush ability. He did produce only one sack after starting 3 games Over 16 games that would be 5 sacks from the position which is borderline fine. But the sample size is too little to be comfortable with. We want more evidence; but the Coaches have seen more, and they seem comfortable.:snob:

Woods started three games last year. How is that enough information to tell if he is a good full-time starter. The Pats were 1-2 over that stretch and gave up 34, 28, and 33 points during that stretch. Statitistcally he had one very good game and two mediocre games. Although I can't remember specific running plays towards him, the Pats allowed 140 rushing yards, 66 rushing yards, and 161 rushing yards during that stretch. I think you may be overstating his run stopping ability. I'm still not convinced he can be a full-time starter and I do think two of the Pats worst defensive games last season were when he was a starter.

As for taking his one sack and then projecting it over a 16 game season, you can't do that. Just because he had one sack in 3 starts doesn't mean he will get another sack if he played 16 games nor that he wouldn't get 10 more sacks if he played 16 games. It is too small of a sample to make a judgement.

Spot duty where you fill in as starter for a handful of games is far different than starting 16 plus games. Woods has not shown he can do that yet.

Woods started three games last year. How is that enough information to tell if he is a good full-time starter. The Pats were 1-2 over that stretch and gave up 34, 28, and 33 points during that stretch. Statitistcally he had one very good game and two mediocre games. Although I can't remember specific running plays towards him, the Pats allowed 140 rushing yards, 66 rushing yards, and 161 rushing yards during that stretch. I think you may be overstating his run stopping ability. I'm still not convinced he can be a full-time starter and I do think two of the Pats worst defensive games last season were when he was a starter.

As for taking his one sack and then projecting it over a 16 game season, you can't do that. Just because he had one sack in 3 starts doesn't mean he will get another sack if he played 16 games nor that he wouldn't get 10 more sacks if he played 16 games. It is too small of a sample to make a judgement.

Spot duty where you fill in as starter for a handful of games is far different than starting 16 plus games. Woods has not shown he can do that yet.

Plus Pierre "Lawrence Taylor" Woods is a free agent*** after the year. It is not like he is pegged to be a long time star.

As unproven as OLB is, I think we should get average NFL production, not sure if that will be good enough but we shall see. ILB is more of an issue, Guyton is appointed my many as an up and coming player. Maybe, maybe not.. Bruschi doesn't have much left. Basically if Thomas or Mayo miss any significant time the LB situation could get ugly. Having a better option a OLB (ala Ellis or Taylor) would have given them the flexibility to move Thomas to ILB for certain packages.

*** If there is not CBA in place Woods would become a RFA, not sure what that means except the Patriots would have some sort of control over his movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back