PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer on McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan37

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Good article.
...where most people see the juggernaut he presided over in 2007, he sees flaws.

He points to an offense that sagged in three "weather games" last year and emphasizes that not being able to handle inclement conditions is troublesome for a team that plays in the upper right-hand corner of the country. He talks about how his team had 18 false-start penalties at home and five on the road.

He says that although the Pats' overall third-down numbers were good, they weren't consistent enough. He laments drive-killing negative running plays in the red zone.
For all the bashers, the reason he's the OC is the intelligence, intensity and focus he shares with Belichick and Brady.

Good article. Now only if McDaniels will call more running plays next year.

Either way though, this guy (along with Jason Garrett) is a head coach in the making. I'd be willing to bet that we'll lose him after the season is over to a team hiring a new head coach (probably the Chiefs after they fire Sperm Edwards).

Either way though, this guy (along with Jason Garrett) is a head coach in the making. I'd be willing to bet that we'll lose him after the season is over to a team hiring a new head coach (probably the Chiefs after they fire Sperm Edwards).

Na, he's got a 2 more years in NE and if Krafty makes him a super offer, then he will stay. Why go coach a crappy team when you can forever be linked with a HOF QB like Brady? Other than money and power......yea maybe your right.

Last edited:
I have always been a fan of McDaniels. Is he perfect? No, but neither was Charlie Weis. I think his age and following Charlie Weis whose legacy has been magnified over the years has made a lot of people automatically doubt the guy and microanalyze any bad play or game to prove he is a bad OC.

I am glad Breer is giving the guy his due. He was in large part responsible for the offenses success last year. That offense was clearly not the most talented offense of all time (although you can make cases for Brady and Moss), but they were the most productive of all time. Part of it is due to the guy calling the plays no matter how much McDaniels haters want to believe that anyone could what McDaniels did with the talent the Pats had.

I don't know, he's still young, he's probably making good pocket change compared to the rest of us and he plays a position where injuries are unlikely. He's working with a HOF QB, a HOF WR, the best slot receiver in the league, two good TEs, great RBs, and a pro-bowl left offensive line.

Ask yourself this: Money aside (and if you believed the money would eventually come) would you rather OC for the Pats, or HC for the Jets? He's smarter than the gini.

Actually, I think he will succeed Shanahan in Denver, possibly as early as at the end of this season.

QB12

Na, he's got a 2 more years in NE and if Krafty makes him a super offer, then he will stay. Why go coach a crappy team when you can forever be linked with a HOF QB like Brady? Other than money and power......yea maybe your right.

He's only 32 . . . I could honestly see him waiting Belichick out, so to speak, and then taking over in NE.

I have always been a fan of McDaniels. Is he perfect? No, but neither was Charlie Weis. I think his age and following Charlie Weis whose legacy has been magnified over the years has made a lot of people automatically doubt the guy and microanalyze any bad play or game to prove he is a bad OC.

I am glad Breer is giving the guy his due. He was in large part responsible for the offenses success last year. That offense was clearly not the most talented offense of all time (although you can make cases for Brady and Moss), but they were the most productive of all time. Part of it is due to the guy calling the plays no matter how much McDaniels haters want to believe that anyone could what McDaniels did with the talent the Pats had.

Other than TE - I'd argue that group was the most talented group when Sammy and Lawrence were healthy.

I don't know, he's still young, he's probably making good pocket change compared to the rest of us and he plays a position where injuries are unlikely. He's working with a HOF QB, a HOF WR, the best slot receiver in the league, two good TEs, great RBs, and a pro-bowl left offensive line.

Ask yourself this: Money aside (and if you believed the money would eventually come) would you rather OC for the Pats, or HC for the Jets? He's smarter than the gini.

Very good point, but I honestly don't think he'll coach the Jets. If anything, he'd accept a job out West. There are a couple of jobs in jeopardy (including Norv Turner's if the Chargers actually tank it this year with all that talent).

He's only 32 . . . I could honestly see him waiting Belichick out, so to speak, and then taking over in NE.

So comes the obvious question - How long does Bill have? I say 2012 or 13 - His contract is thru 13 I beleive, you think Josh would wait that out? Seems like a long time, couple more Lombardi's and he may check out. Just my opinion.

I only see him leaving for the right team. I can't see him doing the Mangini thing and just jump at an offer no matter how many challenges they may have. He would only leave for a team with a lot of young talent with potential not met and a few players away from being a playoff team. The Chiefs doesn't seem to be that position because they have uncertainty at the QB positon and many of their stars are older (Gonzo, Johnson, Surtain, etc.).

So comes the obvious question - How long does Bill have? I say 2012 or 13 - His contract is thru 13 I beleive, you think Josh would wait that out? Seems like a long time, couple more Lombardi's and he may check out. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I can't see Mickey D's waiting that long. He was getting head coaching offers at the end of last season. If he tweaks the offense to make it more productive (not stat wise, just more time consuming) than it was last year and his work pays off with another Lombardi then he's out of here.

Other than TE - I'd argue that group was the most talented group when Sammy and Lawrence were healthy.

More talented than the 49ers of the 80s? The Rams of the 70s? The Cowboys of the early 90s? The Vikings of the late 90s? Other than Brady and Moss and maybe Mankins (although guard is a tough position to get into the Hall), what offensive player has even a remote chance of getting into the HOF? From a pure talent standpoint, I wouldn't put last years Patriots offense in the top 10 offenses of all time.

I am saying they weren't the most talented group of all time, not last year. I would agree that they were probably the most talented group last year.

Last edited:

I agree and was frsutrated at some points last year with his game calling but when I had a chance to step back and see that the Pats did run the ball quite often when compared to the league I settled down. I also think it was a function of not having enough healthy runners after Morris went down, then Maroney was hurt there for a stretch. With Jordan on board and both Maroney and Morris healthy I bet we see a lot more run plays called this yr.

More talented than the 49ers of the 80s? The Rams of the 70s? The Cowboys of the early 90s? The Vikings of the late 90s? Other than Brady and Moss, what offensive player has even a remote chance of getting into the HOF? From a pure talent standpoint, I wouldn't put last years Patriots offense in the top 10 offenses of all time.

I am saying they weren't the most talented group of all time, not last year. I would agree that they were probably the most talented group last year.

Good point, but which 49'ers team of the 80's - you can't compare that team to the whole decade (lots of folks came and went) - Same with the other examples you made.

All great examples, BTW!!

I don't see the love affair with McDaniels at all. His Offensive game plan for the SuperBowl was awful. His in-game adjustments are slow to be made. His alleged creativity is just Charlie Weiss rip offs. And, although I know that the Pats passing O was record setting magic - I wonder how ridiculous it would have been with someone better than Josh running that show.

BB brought in Capers to help out Pees. And I suspect Brady himself helps out McDaniels. Anyway, here's a suggestion, Joshie. More screen passes to Maroney....thanks.

I don't see the love affair with McDaniels at all. His Offensive game plan for the SuperBowl was awful. His in-game adjustments are slow to be made. His alleged creativity is just Charlie Weiss rip offs. And, although I know that the Pats passing O was record setting magic - I wonder how ridiculous it would have been with someone better than Josh running that show.

BB brought in Capers to help out Pees. And I suspect Brady himself helps out McDaniels. Anyway, here's a suggestion, Joshie. More screen passes to Maroney....thanks.

Just a quick aside - McDaniels game plan in the Super Bowl was a product of Bill and Ernie as much as it was Josh - So let's not so quickly judge Josh solely for the debacle.

It's not like he said, "I have the game plan Bill and you can't see it."

Ya know?

Anyway, here's a suggestion, Joshie. More screen passes to Maroney....thanks.

Haha. That makes me think, are double screens possible? Like some kind of two option screen pass?

More talented than the 49ers of the 80s? The Rams of the 70s? The Cowboys of the early 90s? The Vikings of the late 90s? Other than Brady and Moss and maybe Mankins (although guard is a tough position to get into the Hall), what offensive player has even a remote chance of getting into the HOF? From a pure talent standpoint, I wouldn't put last years Patriots offense in the top 10 offenses of all time.

Go position by position with the Cowboys of the 90's for a start. You might find yourself surprised at how well the Patriots come off. Taking 1992, since that was the Cowboys' best record (13-3), and realizing the comparison isn't perfect because New England ran a base 3 wr set quite a bit:

Brady - Aikman
Moss - Irvin
Stallworth - Harper
Watson - Novacek
Light - Tuinei
Mankins - Newton
Koppen - Stepnoski
Neal - Gesek
Kaczur - Williams
Maroney - Smith
Welker - Johnston

Now, I must admit to a bias, but I've got New England winning with QB, all 3 receivers and 2 spots on the offensive line. I've got a 'tie' at 2 offensive line positions, and I've got Dallas winning at RB, TE and one OL position.

New England 6-2-3

Even dropping the two wins on the offensive line to 'tie', I still get New England with 4-4-3

Good point, but which 49'ers team of the 80's - you can't compare that team to the whole decade (lots of folks came and went) - Same with the other examples you made.

All great examples, BTW!!

I'd have to go back and look which years of those teams were actually the most talented. I would say for the Cowboys it would be 1993 with Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Moose Johnston, Alvin Harper, Jay Novachek, Kevin Gogan, Erik Williams, Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, and Mark Tuenei. I don't know how even the most homerish Pats fan can say last year's Patriots offense had more talent from top to bottom than that offense. Three of those guys are in the Hall and you can argue for another 2 or 3 more from that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots