PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Now the focus is squarely on Brady and Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Breer:Now the focus is squarely on Brady and Moss

I think the running backs are going to have to take on a lot more responcibility this week. I would expect us to run the ball a lot more, and it isn a bad thing that we have 4 highly capable backs, who should be well rested.

Maybe more dump off to the Backs out of the field will be in effect...

He doesn't paint a pretty picture. Pats have got to establish the run on Sunday. Only way to re-open things up for the passing game and keep the heat off Brady. I would also not like to see Nick Kaczur in the line-up at RT. Having Wilfork and Warren back will greatly improve the D esp against the run.

How the heck are the Pats still 6.5 point favorites? Would they have been 10 point favorites with Welker in the game?

We have gotten away from the Pats successful ways of running screen plays...maybe without Welker we go back to what brought us moving the chains often going back a few years ago - more screens more often need to be in O'Brien's plans or he is an idiot.

He doesn't paint a pretty picture. Pats have got to establish the run on Sunday. Only way to re-open things up for the passing game and keep the heat off Brady. I would also not like to see Nick Kaczur in the line-up at RT. Having Wilfork and Warren back will greatly improve the D esp against the run.

How the heck are the Pats still 6.5 point favorites? Would they have been 10 point favorites with Welker in the game?

Vegas says 4 point favorite - If I am betting right now I take the Ravens and the points,if the Pats do win it will be by less than 4 for sure.

We have gotten away from the Pats successful ways of running screen plays...maybe without Welker we go back to what brought us moving the chains often going back a few years ago - more screens more often need to be in O'Brien's plans or he is an idiot.

there were times when weis used to open the game with a screen play .

there were times when weis used to open the game with a screen play .

Screen Plays were effective more often than not in this past decade when used properly and with the right equation of players.

Maroney would be perfect for this type of play because of his speed since his weak part of his game is running between the tackles and he is more suitable for outside stuff

Last edited:

They're 3.5 point favorites.

Even before Welker got hurt on Sunday, the conspiracy theorist in me thought, "Hmm, I wonder if they are resting Faulk and Maroney because they are going to be the focus of the game plan for the playoffs - pretend they are not that important [or that Maroney is in the doghouse] then hit them with lots of dump offs & screens to throw off our opponents." Then my husband pointed out that Maroney probably really is in the doghouse. But, wouldn't this be a great game plan if it could work? Don't throw anything Moss's way for the 1st half; use him strictly as a decoy, and pick them apart underneath. Then, in the 2nd half, when they are trying to adjust, then turn back to Moss, who probably isn't drawing as much attention.

Wasn't this how the Pats of old played anyway? They should have Brady watching some old tape of himself and how he used to spread the ball around at will. Then they should have him and Kevin Faulk relive the glory days of their awesome screen pass that used to kill opponents, particularly in the playoffs. At least they have a week to come up with something.

This assumes, of course, that the D is holding up their end of the bargain and not allowing Baltimore to score at will.

So let the Ravens consentrate on Moss. Fine by me. That leaves lots of underneath routes, screens, and runs with fewer defenders to deal with.

Concentrate on Moss and forget about Edelman? Aikens? Faulk? Maroney? All four of those fellows have pretty good hands, and as long as the Patriots are getting better than 3.4 yards per play, we can knock the Ravens all the way back to Baltimore.

Remember that Baltimore has to come to Gillette. In OUR HOUSE, it's a whole different ballgame, even with Welker on the sidelines. :cool:

So let the Ravens consentrate on Moss. Fine by me. That leaves lots of underneath routes, screens, and runs with fewer defenders to deal with.

Concentrate on Moss and forget about Edelman? Aikens? Faulk? Maroney? All four of those fellows have pretty good hands, and as long as the Patriots are getting better than 3.4 yards per play, we can knock the Ravens all the way back to Baltimore.

Remember that Baltimore has to come to Gillette. In OUR HOUSE, it's a whole different ballgame, even with Welker on the sidelines. :cool:

Teams have taken Welker and Moss out of games and left it up to the other WRs and RBs to win the game for the Pats and they havent done that. Saints game is a perfect example of that, they completely had the entire focus of their defense of Moss and Welker and the opportunity was there for the other members of the offense to step up and make plays and they didnt do that. These players need to step up and start making plays for this team

What is with everyone and screens on here?

You don't run a screen just to run a screen. A screen is a counter measure against the blitz. Often times teams are not blitzing against New England, therefore a screen is worthless. With that said I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats run some screens this week with the Ravens in town. But they won't do it just for the sake of doing it.

Vegas says 4 point favorite - If I am betting right now I take the Ravens and the points,if the Pats do win it will be by less than 4 for sure.

Just checked with my "friend" The line is down to 3.5 points. Maybe the early line was 6.5.

Just checked with my "friend" The line is down to 3.5 points. Maybe the early line was 6.5.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's 3 by Sunday.

Ed Reed is banged up too. It'll be interesting to see how effective he'll be next week.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's 3 by Sunday.

Ed Reed is banged up too. It'll be interesting to see how effective he'll be next week.

Who knew the 9-7 Ravens (6-7 in their last 13 games) were such a dynamic team?

It appears everyone missed that their secondary really, really sucks.

Even before Welker got hurt on Sunday, the conspiracy theorist in me thought, "Hmm, I wonder if they are resting Faulk and Maroney because they are going to be the focus of the game plan for the playoffs - pretend they are not that important [or that Maroney is in the doghouse] then hit them with lots of dump offs & screens to throw off our opponents." Then my husband pointed out that Maroney probably really is in the doghouse. But, wouldn't this be a great game plan if it could work? Don't throw anything Moss's way for the 1st half; use him strictly as a decoy, and pick them apart underneath. Then, in the 2nd half, when they are trying to adjust, then turn back to Moss, who probably isn't drawing as much attention.

Wasn't this how the Pats of old played anyway? They should have Brady watching some old tape of himself and how he used to spread the ball around at will. Then they should have him and Kevin Faulk relive the glory days of their awesome screen pass that used to kill opponents, particularly in the playoffs. At least they have a week to come up with something.

This assumes, of course, that the D is holding up their end of the bargain and not allowing Baltimore to score at will.

I think that's overthinking. The Patriots always run more later in the year, and Maroney was a big factor in the playoffs in 2007 except for the game where everyone forgot how to play.

Maroney is most certainly not in the doghouse. I never expected him to get many touches in the last game anyway. He has been worked the most out of the RBs over the course of the year and Taylor needed reps recently coming off injury.

I am happy that we have all of our RBs healthy for the playoffs, and expect Maroney to be a big part of the running game in the playoffs.

The Ravens defense is not what it was years ago, though it still seems to have that reputation. Don't get me wrong, they're good - but they're not great.

Their pass defense ranks 8th in the NFL with 207.2 yards per game. To put that in perspective, that's two and a half yards less than what the Pats' pass defense gives up. And the'yre nearly identiacla in applying pressure (32 sacks to the Pats 31.) One thing they are better at is forcing turnovers. The Ravens gave up 17 touchdowns while intercepting 22 passes; by comparison the Pats were 25/18. The Ravens held opposing quarterbacks to a 6th-best 71.9 QB rating; the Pats ranked 13th at 81.7.

But even if their pass defense is slightly better than the Pats, that should be more than offset by the fact that Brady>Flacco and Moss>Mason.

I think that's overthinking. The Patriots always run more later in the year, and Maroney was a big factor in the playoffs in 2007 except for the game where everyone forgot how to play.

Maroney is most certainly not in the doghouse. I never expected him to get many touches in the last game anyway. He has been worked the most out of the RBs over the course of the year and Taylor needed reps recently coming off injury.

I am happy that we have all of our RBs healthy for the playoffs, and expect Maroney to be a big part of the running game in the playoffs.

I think Maroney will be a big part of the game plan this week. He will probably start and get the bulk of the carries on first down. Morris looked a bit banged up yesterday and I dont know what his status for this week will be. Taylor will definitely be our short yardage/time consuming back. Faulk will obviously be in there on 3rd downs and do what he usually does. Our RBs will definitely play a major role in our offense

Who knew the 9-7 Ravens (6-7 in their last 13 games) were such a dynamic team?

It appears everyone missed that their secondary really, really sucks.

Their secondary does suck, if Bal cant pressure Brady he will have a field day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes