PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Could Peppers be the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peppers would definitely be the answer if the question was "What goes great with onions and meat when you make a Fajita?".

Actually, they couldn't (at least in any meaningful way, and perhaps not at all).

The trade deadline extends from Week 6 until the end of the league year.

As one example: if, on February 15, someone offered seven first-rounders for Wilfork, the Patriots would not be able to accept.

Since Peppers was going to be a free agent at the start of the 2009 league year, the only way for the Panthers to guarantee they got anything if he left was to franchise him.

You may be right, I dont know the specifics of the franchise tag definition when it comes to signings and trades, but I do remember the guys on WEEI, including Tom E. Curran talking about the possibility of him coming to the Pats. This was right after the draft I believe. They wouldnt be talking about if it wasnt possible.

You may be right, I dont know the specifics of the franchise tag definition when it comes to signings and trades, but I do remember the guys on WEEI, including Tom E. Curran talking about the possibility of him coming to the Pats. This was right after the draft I believe. They wouldnt be talking about if it wasnt possible.

That's because they only know that a salary cap exists. They really have almost zero understanding of how the thing actually works. [And, even though it's completely OT, let me give credit to Miguel here—Miguel may know more about the salary cap than anybody who doesn't already work for the NFL, and probably a lot of people in it, too.]

It might have been theoretically possible, but at no point was it much more than a pie-in-the-sky pipe dream, even when rumors had the trade as "imminent."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots