PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breathing Freely Once More thanks to the FO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchanty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I can finally exhale with the signing of Randy Moss. I am also glad to say that I have put the SB loss behind me and am getting excited about the season ahead. And all thanks to the FO doing the right thing, especially when looking at some of the money paid out by the Jets, and guaranteed moneys for Berrian and others. $27 over 3 years is a sweet deal for Moss, the Pats and the fans. I found it amusing that some Colts fans thought we had paid too much as if they ever had a clue about economic efficiencies.

The FO is also due a lot of praise for addressing Special Teams, even though I know next to nothing about Sam Aiken, I was glad to see the emphasis on this part of the team when there were few stellar FA's on either offense or defense. They did the right thing letting Assante get his money, which was all he was after in the first place. He fell out of my favorite player list last year when he stayed out of TC much longer than necessary. Besides which last year's performance was not at the same level as the year before. He is good, but more of a ball hawk than a tackler and not worth the money he managed to secure from the Eagles.

I also wont miss Randal Gay, even though I liked him as a player. Again his better year was his rookie year and he isnt worth what the Saints are paying him now, though I am glad he is getting rewarded and wish him well.

I liked AJ's note on the offense and believe with 81 secured we are pretty much set for the year ahead, especially because I am looking forward to seeing Chad replace Donte. Most commentators forget that CJ and Lomo were the 2 youngest players on the team last year, and they will both start training camp having just turned 23.

I do have some concerns on the right side of the O'line though, particularly with Kazur who can struggle with consistency, and Hochstein who wasnt the utilitarian replacement that he has been in previous years. Neal is my second favorite on the O'line (after Mankins) but he has struggled with injuries the last 2 seasons and O'Callaghan while impressing at times hasnt done enough to suggest he is ready to be a starter.

My only other concern is at TE especially with Ben Watson in his final year of a contract. I dont think he has met his potential here and I suspect that he will follow Graham out the door when he becomes a FA. With K Brady released it seems that we may need 2 TEs for the season ahead, one from the draft and maybe another through trade, where a seasoned blocker would seem to fit the role.

That leaves the LBs and CBs and the draft - knowing Pioli and BB they are hatching some good ploys to fill the spots from a draft that is deep and talented though short on marquee players.

Oh its good to breathe the air with optimism again.

I'm not breathing freely until Culpepper is signed, sealed, and delivered. I'm worried that something could still derail the deal....

I'm glad Moss signed with the Pats, its a mature decision on his part to try and finish his carreer with the Pats and maybe I can almost tolerate the idea of him in the Hall of Fame if he keeps his head on straight. I doubt he'd have been able to stay out of trouble on another team, so I'm glad to see that one of the best Recievers to ever play the game is attempting to end his carreer with his Chin up and Shoulders back walking the straight and narrow.

hate the fact I have to worry about covering him again this season, but at least he's not on the Browns or Bengals. Or Ravens for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back