PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breakout Patriots Player of 2013 - Who Will It Be?

My choices are Tavon Wilson & Duron Harmon.

Chandler Jones- I think he will become a household name by the end of the season.

Devin McCourty- decent corner, going to be an elite safety

Dont'a Hightower- Can't sleep on him either. I think he'll become an impact player in a bigger role next season.
I think Hernandez has a career year on offense but he's obviously already broken out so Im going to side with optimism and go with Aaron Dobson. If he can have a season like Cecil Shorts did last year were in excellent shape.

when I hear break out player I think it's a player who greatly exceeds
what he has done so far on this team.

Two players I think may far exceed what they have done are:

1. Alfonso Dennard - 3 ints, 7 PD last year - predict he'll double those stats
2. Shane Vereen - he did so well receiving I think they get him more involved especially with Woody gone.

Chandler Jones should do better but I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't
do a whole lot better unless he comes back a whole lot stronger with
some new moves. Hoping his injury was the reason for his decline.
I wish he could be as consistent and productive as Ninkovich.

I think you are spot on with Vereen being the breakout player. Odds and conditions are very favorable for it. (A) He showed 2012 flashes of very serious potential. (B) He is in line to, most likely, see a big increase in playing time with Woody gone. (C) He didn't get enough playing time to establish too high of a bar for being "breakout". If I had to put money down, Vereen would be the smart bet.

Dennard? He put the bar too high with his solid 2012 performance. He would have to be a very serious performer in 2013 to get breakout honors. I think the odds and conditions don't favor him for breakout. But if you are right and he steps up far enough above 2012 to earn breakout honors? With Talib on the other side, wow, this will be the best starting CB duo in a long, long time. The antithesis of 2011.

Based on odds and conditions, I think it looks semi decent for Cannon to also earn breakout honors. He showed he can play, he now has solid some NFL time under his belt, his cancer issue is definitely well behind him, and the bar is still sufficiently low from his 2012 performance/playing time to hit that breakout honors plateau. If he can crack the starting lineup or force the issue with his play and make BB rely more on a rotation, I think him and Vereen will be two names that will be mentioned much more in 2013 than they were in 2012.

The Pats should use a RB by committee approach so I don't think any back will get a majority of reps to have a breakout season so I'll go with Chandler Jones because he could really up his sack total. On offense I'll go with...good question. Dobson or Boyce to be optimistic and if I had to choose one it would be Dobson. I nominate Collins now for 2014!

Dennard? He put the bar too high with his solid 2012 performance. He would have to be a very serious performer in 2013 to get breakout honors. I think the odds and conditions don't favor him for breakout. But if you are right and he steps up far enough above 2012 to earn breakout honors? With Talib on the other side, wow, this will be the best starting CB duo in a long, long time. The antithesis of 2011.

Yeah you may be right. But just liked the way he played last year.
Also I think PATS pass rush will improve this year. So I'm thinking
with a better pass rush, QBs PATS face will be rushing their decisions
more which should show up in more team ints this year

Considered a steal of the 2012 draft he is physical,has good hands, smart,
always aware of the situation and will make plays on the ball if given
half a chance. He could have been a 1st round pick if his fiery disposition
didn't get him into trouble. With another off season and more coaching added
to his confidence built from last year ... watch out.

One last note: many QB's will throw away from Talib which means he should get a lot of balls thrown his way at least until he makes a name for himself. :)

After all that, now watch Ras-I start. :rolleyes:

I'm going with Dobson on a hunch. Most rookies might be unready to step right in, but he seems to be totally confident and aggressive.

EDIT: watched another vid and he seemed to hear footsteps on a turnaround and totally lose focus. We'll see.

Still could be opportunity meeting confidence.

Yeah you may be right. But just liked the way he played last year.
Also I think PATS pass rush will improve this year. So I'm thinking
with a better pass rush, QBs PATS face will be rushing their decisions
more which should show up in more team ints this year

Considered a steal of the 2012 draft he is physical,has good hands, smart,
always aware of the situation and will make plays on the ball if given
half a chance. He could have been a 1st round pick if his fiery disposition
didn't get him into trouble. With another off season and more coaching added
to his confidence built from last year ... watch out.

One last note: many QB's will throw away from Talib which means he should get a lot of balls thrown his way at least until he makes a name for himself. :)

After all that, now watch Ras-I start. :rolleyes:

For other 'just as likely' things :D:
- BB smiles on the sideline every game
- Big Vince runs back 2 INTs for TDs
- TFB gains 500 yards of rushing
- WW is traded back to the Patriots for a conditional 7th round pick

I just want the defense to gell as a unit, but If any player were to really leap from last year, I'd like it to be Tavon Wilson.

I gotta agree that it'll be Jones. If stays healthy, he's a 15 sack season waiting to happen. Crazy thing is, I expect Hightower to be almost as dynamic- they're both going to be studs this year IMO. On offense, gotta go with Vereen. If he can stay healthy, I don't even know who to compare it to. There aren't many guys in the NFL that can line up out wide (not even in the slot, necessarily) and run between the tackles credibly.

Hightower. I can't wait to see what this kid does in his second year. To me, this is the McGinest we've been sorely missing since, well, McGinest.

On offense, put me down for Marcus Canon. If they use him correctly at guard and not tackle, he'll someday be All-Pro.

Tj moe and Jake sudfeld.

I think the obvious answer is Amendola.
I think Adrian Wilson is a good candidate too, because people think he is not his old great self, and I think BB has a perfect role for him to stand out in.

I love what people are saying about Hightower. The most important thing this team needs is a relentless, ferocious pass rush. We win the SB with one.

I must say that it very unusual to suggest that Dante doesn't know how to correctly use his offensive linemen.

On offense, put me down for Marcus Canon. If they use him correctly at guard and not tackle, he'll someday be All-Pro.

having hightower and collins for LB's is going to be huge for our pass rush im expecting a big year from our defense this year

Just one guy's opinion but, I don't think rookies should really qualify because they haven't played yet so they haven't had less than stellar seasons yet. Anyways, I'll go with the popular choices with Vereen for offense and Jones for defense. Would be great to have a big time pass rusher if Jones unleashes his potential.

logan ryan and michael buchannon.

I am a strong believer in ryan and he will get his shot after ras falls apart.

Buchannon will start off as a good edge setter and go on from there. Aside from jones, no one consistently set the edge and i believe buchannon can with his extremely long arms.

I like the Buchanon pick, he was an absolute steal in the 7th round. Watch his highlites and he looks like Chandler Jones, though Jones is a bit thicker. What I like about Buchanon is he has a non stop motor.

Illinois DE Michael Buchanan to Patriots - YouTube

My breakout player will be TE Jake Ballard. I think he gets a ton of playing time this year, with Gronks status really unknown. I see Ballard chipping in with 45+ catches this season and 5+ TDs. Excellent red zone target.

A year ago I was on the Markell Carter bandwagon, so my opinion on this question may not be the most enlightened one.

I'll say Jones & Jones: Chandler Jones and Donald Jones.

If those two are too well known/obvious, then how about one of either Justine Francis or Armond Armstead on defense, and either Shane Vereen or Marcus Cannon on offense.

In case anyone was wondering about Carter, the latest on him is that he was released yesterday by the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL.
Too bad, he seemed like a good guy that one could easily root for.

IMG_3995--nfl_large_580_1000.JPG

Stampeders Sign Draft Picks - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News

In other transaction news, the Stampeders have released six imports - defensive linemen Markell Carter, Wayne Dorsey and Alex Watkins, linebacker Demetri Stewart and defensive backs Jeremy Caldwell and Gary Wilburn.​

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back