PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BREAKING TWEET: Vince Wilfork may never return to the field.

If this proves to be true, this is a great loss to not only the Patriots but the NFL. If not, a plague on the houses of the handle owners.

Good call. That's a very sketchy-looking account, and not one that looks likely to have the sources to break news.

Whether the doctors have said this or not, people here have been saying the same thing. A popped achilles is a difficult thing to return from and Vince is both old and a very large man, two things which could, potentially, make a comeback more difficult.

700 followers and they follow 700...not a legit source.

But i could see the scenario where he can't come back from this. AT his age..he may never be the same vince again...

752 followers....I'm with VrabelJr, smells like BS.

Crap source, but I think we do need to acknowledge that it's a possibility. Even when he comes back, he has a rough road ahead to get back to his customary level of play.

His added weight and age are going to kill his recovery...:(

Not surprising.

An achilles injury (or any ankle injury) for such a heavy player is potentially career ending at his age.

Vince is 325lbs. There's a lot of weight for a little ankle to support.

The source is bull**** though, and just looking for followers so this thread should be locked unless there is a more credible source to back this up.

I've thought that the lack of depth on the DL was our team's biggest weakness now for quite awhile, and was somewhat surprised that they did not target a DL/DT early in the draft this year.

Needless to say, the trenches are the obvious choice for a couple/few picks at some point throughout the draft in the spring, and I would not be opposed to attempting to trade down and accumulate additional picks much like this past year.

I would have liked to see a stud middle/top tier DL taken in free agency too, but sadly that did not happen either. I felt that it was a buyer's market for several players who'd have made nice choices.

“Mr. Burns was admitted to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was then transferred to a better hospital where his condition was upgraded to 'alive.'”
―Kent Brockman, "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

I would say its a low percentage that Wilfork comes back next year,regardless of whether he does or not, the team should be looking at a NT somewhere in the draft...possibly DaQuan Jones from Penn State in the early to mid rounds,Jones has potential to be the best NT coming out of college next year and he is an O'Brien kid as well.

Wilfork was our best NT since big Ted was here but the team may have to move forward without him,this injury is always a potential career ender,especially to a man weighting 325 pounds.

At least he got a Super Bowl ring from his rookie season. The big man deserved to have more than that, however...

I've thought that the lack of depth on the DL was our team's biggest weakness now for quite awhile, and was somewhat surprised that they did not target a DL/DT early in the draft this year.

Needless to say, the trenches are the obvious choice for a couple/few picks at some point throughout the draft in the spring, and I would not be opposed to attempting to trade down and accumulate additional picks much like this past year.

I would have liked to see a stud middle/top tier DL taken in free agency too, but sadly that did not happen either. I felt that it was a buyer's market for several players who'd have made nice choices.

I'm confused on your last statement. They brought in Tommy Kelly and signed Armstead.

Big Vince has been my favorite Patriot for years now, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like this injury isn't potentially career ending even from a terrible source like that.

Although, I'd hate to see him go out like that, it's a realistic possibility just given the nature of his circumstances and the injury itself.

Nobody wants Vince to recover and be the player he was for the past decade more than me, but it's going to be a tough, tough road to recovery for him. We gotta be realistic about things.

I'm confused on your last statement. They brought in Tommy Kelly and signed Armstead.

Well, sure--but I am speaking of some of the higher tiered DT's who many felt were going to command top dollar and were getting scooped up very reasonably by other teams. We had some opportunities to get some decent defensive talent in both the DL and the secondary this year in free agency for some very reasonable prices, and I'm not the kind of guy who questions or complains about much of anything that the team does based on their success alone.

It would have been nice to have taken advantage of one of those guys in my opinion, so that's my point.

Kelly and Armstead are considered by me personally to be more of the "usual" and average kind of middle to low tiered free agent signings that happen just about every year, not that I am knocking them on any level, b/c these are the kinds of cap friendly signings that have high upside--as we are currently seeing with Kelly.

Big Vince has been my favorite Patriot for years now, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like this injury isn't potentially career ending even from a terrible source like that.

Here's the thing:

There is a probability, somewhere between 0 and 100 percent (inclusive), that Wilfork will not play for the Patriots next year.

No matter what you believe that percentage to be, this "report"—without credible evidence—should not change that number.

Here's the thing:

There is a probability, somewhere between 0 and 100 percent (inclusive), that Wilfork will not play for the Patriots next year.

No matter what you believe that percentage to be, this "report"—without credible evidence—should not change that number.
I should have been more clear:

What I meant was, I didn't need this bogus report to tell me what I already knew.

I should have been more clear:

What I meant was, I didn't need this bogus report to tell me what I already knew.

Which isn't that much. Vince could come out next season as good as ever. He could have a press conference announcing his retirement soon. Anything can happen at this point.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back