Welcome to PatsFans.com

Breaking News the Senate Votes English as "National Language"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 19, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

The Senate faced with huge financial deficits, thinking about loosing 200,000 AK47's, ignoring that a 21 million dolllar contracts for limo service for Homeland Security that was awarded to a very questionable company, and ignoring the fact we are arming warlords in Somalia took time from their busy schedule to vote on keeping English as the National Language. A spokesperson for the Senate said, "The American People need this and we need to look like we are doing something down here, the rest of the crap is irrevelant and this is what is really important." Some will call this pandering, I for one agree. Not sure if this happened before or after the Gay Marriage thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/18/AR2006051800242.html

Senate Votes English as 'National Language'
    Bill Keeps in Place Multilingual Laws

By Jonathan Weisman and Jim VandeHei
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, May 19, 2006; Page A01

After an emotional debate fraught with symbolism, the Senate yesterday voted to make English the "national language" of the United States, declaring that no one has a right to federal communications or services in a language other than English except for those already guaranteed by law.

The measure, approved 63 to 34, directs the government to "preserve and enhance" the role of English, without altering current laws that require some government documents and services be provided in other languages. Opponents, however, said it could negate executive orders, regulations, civil service guidances and other multilingual ordinances not officially sanctioned by acts of Congress.

That vote, considered a defeat for immigration-rights advocates, was followed last night by an important victory: By 58 to 35, the Senate killed an amendment that would have blocked eventual citizenship for future immigrants who arrive under a temporary work permit. Democrats and Republicans agreed that the amendment would have destroyed the fragile, bipartisan coalition backing the Senate bill.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Of course it's pandering and wrongly motivated, but it's also a good idea IMO. I have no problem other than the fact that they're fiddling while Rome burns.

3. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They should be ashamed. I posted a few months ago about bills to rename Post Offices after people. It's the same with steroids in baseball. Do some real work!

Fiddling while rome burns describes it to a (T).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Can they do it for the atm's as well?

On a serious note, I think the time could be better spent but this is something that unfortunately needed to be done. It is amazing that we have to even have this as a law. We should put up a big sign that reads "Welcome to America, Now F*cking speak English"

5. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If we had required English be spoken to do business and attend schools we wouldn't have nearly the assimilation problems we have now.

Let's see..... which political party felt it was mean-spirited to demand that English be spoken in our schools?

Now before anyone decides to respond with any "racist" claims or "that's easy for me to say, consider that my wife is Japanese. Due to some extended deployments that I had in my Navy career, my son, at age 5, had lived most of his life in Japan and spoke NO English. When we got stationed in Hawaii he started kindergarden in that condition. There was some English as a second langauge assistance 2-3 times per week for a couple of years, but he was basically immersed into the English speaking society. He suffered no ill affects that I can see and is getting ready to graduate high school. He has gotten high honors every year and is fluent in English and Japanese.

Not forcing these hispanic immigrants to learn our language has led to many problems and was totally unnecessary. What is wrong with demanding that people who want to live here learn our language and customs?

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

In the Gooey Ga Ga world of Liberalism we would be a nation of people all walking around not being able to communicate with each other.

In the starry eyed world of liberalism there would be fifty different signs on street corners all printed in a different language saying "STOP".

Not being able to communicate with others breeds "Segregation" do the know it all liberals even realize that.

7. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Great ... tax dollars at work ...

It's going on at the state level, too ... The Louisiana Congress has on their agenda the important issue of naming the "Official Hurricane Katrina Song" ...

The last song to really help anyone was "Puberty Love" (obscure reference).

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 12 / -10

I'm all for English being the national language. It is a great unifier, and it is the greatest language in the world because it's so flexible. That said, all students should be offered the option of learning a second language and all communities should offer immersion programs for people to quickly get up to speed in English to reduce the need for bilingual education. That said, this is of course one of those political issues that politicians are using to avoid the tough, challenging ones facing America.

9. The Gr8est

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hmmm, English as a second language as "optional". Maybe the government will let me have the "option" of paying my taxes...or not.

This is the United States, we speak English here. You want to immigrate here? We will assist you in learning our language, but we should not accomodate you if you chose not to exercise the "option" to learn English.

I am offended that I have to press "1" for English in the United States.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 12 / -10

I didn't suggest English as a second language, but as the primary language, the national language.

11. The Gr8est

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry Patters, I misread your post, I thought you were advocating that learning English should be optional for immigrants.

12. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I just got back from a trip to Europe, including Brussels which has two official languages (Belgium is split between a Dutch, which they call Flemmish, region and a French region, but Brussels has an equal amount of both). Most streets actually have two completely different names. And somehow it works. No mass chaos, no problem with assimilation, no racial violence. And it doesn't matter how many times you make English an official language - take a walk through Miami and you will still hear Spanish exclusively. Printing materials in their own language just makes sense if you actually want people to understand them, it isn't a political statement.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Patters,
    I agree with you, English should be the Language of America, I believe all Newcomers should be required to learn English if they become citizens and I also believe that all Americans should be taught different languages of their choice FREE OF CHARGE in our public schools, it improves the mind, then out in the schoolyard the kids will be able to talk to each other.

Hispanics that don't want their kids to learn English are abusing their kids.

14. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Its been my experience that the kids (Mexicans) are always the ones who are learning English. Whenever I interviewed a Mexican for a job, one of their children would always translate. A child's brain is like a sponge, they absorb so much information. I was always amazed at the 4 and 5 year olds speaking fluently in two languages when I worked on the border.

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Good, I grew up in a neighborhood that had many Italian & Greek people living there who were right from the old country, I was fascinated at how my 10 & 11 year old friends could speak to their parents in "another language" it just rolled out of them, I envied them.
    Their parents encouraged them to speak English in order for them to survive and be a part of America but they also taught them to speak the language of their ancestors. If someone intends on living in another country the first thing they should do is LEARN THAT COUNTRYS LANGUAGE.

16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Ya-freakin'-Hoo, I finally agree with Patters on something :)

Anyone against a national language and total immersion in it may think they're helping but they're hindering. Someone who can't speak the language well can get ahead but probably only at about a 1-5% rate. Very rare indeed. I know I couldn't move to, say, Poland, and do well knowing only English. It's ridicuolous. It may be tough love but it is in their best interest.

17. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So, given that you have finally adopted our beautiful language as yours, is there any chance that you all could bother to speak and write it correctly? :D
    Sorry, it was an obvious comment on my part, but I felt compelled, in the way that trolls come on to the footbaqll board to tell us how much the Pats suck, prior to another victory.

Actually, I have to agree with BF on this one (!). It is very much in immigrants' interests to have to learn English. By not doing so, they limit their economic chances severely. I notice, in London, how much immigrants suffer when they haven't learned English; across the road from my workplace is a Chinese woman, who takes orders at her cafe. She regularly gets them wrong and, consequently, people take their business elsewhere.

18. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It's funny. When I lived in Phoenix, there was a proposal to force intensive English classes at public schools for non-english speaking children. The Mexican community overwhelmingly supported it. They want their children to learn English so they can be more than landscapers and lettuce pickers. However, the bleeding hearts in the state legislature, and I'm including a large number of Republicans in that label, shot it down because they deemed it "unfair".

This is a common sense issue to me. Unless the instructions are a matter of emergency, they should be printed in English. Ignorance of a law is no excuse for committing a crime. Why should it be different if you're ignorant because you came from another state, or if you're ignorant because you couldn't be bothered to learn conversational English? The person has a duty to know the law, the government doesn't have the responsibility to teach it to them.

This is a political traveshamockery, and I'm disgusted by both Bush and Reid. Racism, my ass. Only if deporting illegal aliens is racist.