PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News...Deal close again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaCaCh

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Owners coming closer according to Upshaw.

At least share where you heard this if not actually giving us a link. Thanks.

PatsRI said:
At least share where you heard this if not actually giving us a link. Thanks.

Scrolled on bottom of ESPN during sports reporters.

SaCaCh said:
Scrolled on bottom of ESPN during sports reporters.

ESPN radio said the same thing a few minutes ago: According to a report by the Washington Post, the two sides made a breakthrough overnight and a deal appears very close. No further details. The next question is will they extend the deadline yet again?

I wont believe it until it actually happens.

Just saw the WP reporter on ESPN. It's closer but still apart. They may have to go beyond the deadline which means another extension.

663575724322.jpg

They are driving me crazy.

The breakthrough must be the old bastard owners getting some kind of a break on the local rev issue from the new owners.

Maybey they also are helping Ralph WIlson sell naming rights to his stadium: Depends Adult Diapers Stadium?

Post article

Here's the article from the Post:

NFL Labor Negotiations Back On, Deal Close

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 5, 2006; 9:09 AM

The NFL's labor negotiations took a dramatic turn overnight. After the talks faltered yesterday, representatives of the team owners and the players' union agreed to resume negotiations, and participants said the two sides were close to completing a deal.

Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said via e-mail early this morning that the parties had scheduled another meeting in New York and were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points."

The negotiations broke off yesterday with Upshaw saying the owners were unable to compromise, and he left New York and returned to Washington. But the owners were meeting via conference call when Upshaw departed, and league spokesman Greg Aiello said the owners expected negotiations to resume today.

The talks ended yesterday with the owners offering 56.6 percent of an expanded pool of league revenues to the players as compensation under a salary-cap system. Upshaw had dropped his demand that the players receive at least 60 percent, but he would not specify exactly what percentage his latest proposal called for.

Upshaw has maintained that any labor deal between the players and owners would have to be accompanied by an agreement among the owners to increase the degree to which the 32 NFL teams share locally generated revenues. Otherwise, Upshaw has said, lower-revenue clubs could not afford the salary commitment they'd be making to the players. Owners have said they could complete a labor deal with the players without finishing a revenue-sharing agreement immediately.

The compromise might be a provision in the labor deal to limit the amount of money that teams can spend above the flexible salary cap. That would address the concerns of lower-revenue teams that the high-revenue clubs could gain a competitive advantage by using their wealth to consistently outspend the salary cap and get better players. The sides had been negotiating about such "cash over cap" before talks broke off Saturday.

The league's free-agent market is scheduled to open at midnight. Unless there is a new contract, teams must be under next season's $94.5 million salary cap by then. If they need to release players to get under the cap, they must do so by 6 p.m.

But Upshaw and NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue facing a similar deadline Thursday agreed to push back those deadlines by 72 hours, and they could agree to another postponement if more time is needed to complete the deal. Tagliabue has told the owners to leave Tuesday free for a possible meeting in Dallas to ratify a labor deal.

The current labor deal keeps the salary-cap system in place through the 2006 season, then there would be a season without a salary cap in 2007 before the deal expires. Tagliabue said Thursday, just after the owners had a 57-minute meeting in New York to officially reject a players' proposal, that the owners had proposed an extension that would run through the 2011 season.

A labor settlement would push next season's salary cap as high as $108 million per team and would alleviate the salary-cap crunches being experienced by many teams.

Hope what is being reported is true, really like to see it extended to 2011, 5 years of no labor issues just Patriots and the NFL.

PATSNUTme said:
Just saw the WP reporter on ESPN. It's closer but still apart. They may have to go beyond the deadline which means another extension.

663575724322.jpg

They are driving me crazy.

HAHA! Ditto!

BigMike said:
The breakthrough must be the old bastard owners getting some kind of a break on the local rev issue from the new owners.

Maybey they also are helping Ralph WIlson sell naming rights to his stadium: Depends Adult Diapers Stadium?
Never make fun of the elderly. It's really uncool.

"You mock what you are to become."

i agree...
one day seems they find an agreement and the next day they 'close the doors...'

i am becoming crazy too !

let's hope in one agreement - i love the actual NFL...

Last edited:
They can kiss my ass. I'll believe it when we see it.

All good news again..but..until a deal is done..it is just words..Been like a rollercoaster these past days..up and down....and they just better get it all done today OR extend for it to happen..overdramatic and really dumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back