Welcome to PatsFans.com

Breaking News: Arrests made in Major Drug Bust

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Feb 12, 2009.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

South Carolina authorities have made two arrests in the marijuana smoking incident from November. The Richland County Sherriff's Department is still investigating the occurrence in hopes of catching the kingpin, Micheal Phelps.
    Players in this high risk crime may face up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine.
    Lott has made fighting drug crimes a central plank of his career. Lets hope these officials crack down on these hippies. They should put them to work doing something worthwhile, like working in the Carolina tobacco fields where they can be productive citizens.

South Carolina cops make arrests in Michael Phelps' pot case - More Sports - SI.com
  2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 5 / -9

#37 Jersey

Who is sheriff down there?

[​IMG]

What a freaking joke.
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I don't see how they can make a case based on photos? Phelps should have just said the photo was a joke and he never smoked any. Unbelievable that the President of the United States admits to smoking weed and we're still wasting time and money busting kids for smoking it. :stars2:
  4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Looks like Michael Phelps is becoming another "example", but this one's killer to his career. At least Tommy Chong can continue to make a living off his arrest and incarceration; how does an athlete do the same?

Whoever took that pic will no doubt become a CNN correspondent or something- who was that person anyway? Nothing's been pressed about him/her. Interesting.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Waste of taxpayers money.. don't smoke dope in SC... the sheriff wants his 15 minutes of face time..
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +551 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Will there be a public burning of the pot?
    I used to love those pictures of marijuana being burned by authorities.
    They always seem to have needed like a few people to throw 1 match.

This dude is downwind from the pot smoke.

[​IMG]

Lots of Pakistani's to throw 1 match in this pic ... sorry for the diversion I just couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And police wonder why the youth in this country want nothing to do with helping them in any situation. For every good cop out there unfortunately there is about 10 bad ones who will do anything they can no matter who or what they step on to get what they want!
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I voted YES on question 2 here in Massachusetts, so bear with me on this point. Has anyone considered the fact that pot is illegal there, and Phelps is an icon, or even an idol to younger people in a sense. Maybe the sherrif in question wants to show people that just cuz your famous, and "sorry", it doesn't mean you are above the law. Kids see him with a bong, think it's cool, and then see nothing come of it from a disciplinary stand point, and think it's ok. In doing this, maybe the sherrif is trying to show that no one is above the law, and that the rules apply to everyone, even the famous. How many times do we all complain about there being a different set of rules for different people? I voted YES on question 2, so that should tell you how I feel about marijuana, and am simply trying to offer a different perspective on the story.
  9. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So that means arrest everyone but Phelps, lol sorry you cant spin this one any other way but a idiot getting his 15 seconds of fame!
  10. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree that nobody's above the law,the point here is nobody said BOO when Phelps was arrested on a DUI.

Also-next time you're at a gathering maybe people should be required to leave their cellies in a basket at the door,lest someone decide to get a little picture-happy because they'll instantly become extremely rich.

washingtonpost.com
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I voted YES on Question 2 cuz I think pot is relatively harmless, and people should be fined, and not arrested for possessing/using it. So I'm not trying to spin anything to defend the arrests. I'm merely trying to point to what might be the rationale behind the path being taken here. From what I've read, or heard, the arrests being made are likely to lead to the arrest of Phelps, depending on the info the eight in question provide.

BTW, it very well could be a 15 minutes of fame thing. I'm only offering a possible angle from the sherrifs perspective.
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Phelps has been all over the news and has taken a financial beating because of that picture. So, the cops should step in for an incident months ago with flimsy evidence over a crime which is kind of lame to show nobody is above the law?
    Maybe, they could have issued a statement that they will not pursue based on poor evidence and the fact that the party in question has been financially penalized. I am not a public relations guy, but I'm sure Carolina could come up with something to that effect.
  13. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Here's the TRUE travesty:

But yay, we busted Michael Phelps.