Welcome to PatsFans.com

Breaking News: Americans lose an entire city to Iraqi insurgents

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Oct 20, 2006.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2590134

Our brave and courageous soldiers, who have been used as pawns in a war that should never have happened, are now losing cities. About 800 to 1000 insurgents marched into Amarah city after the "Allied" troops retreated and pulled out after fighting. The insurgents blew up and flattened three police stations that had just been built by the US.

What a complete mess. This will be worse than Vietnam, because the young people growing up in Iraq will likely retaliate on our soil in 15 years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

From what the article says The British troops left in August (part of the policy of turning over territory over to Iraqi control, there was no mention of American troops or even Iraqi troops being involved only Iraqi policemen.

We will have to see how the Iraqi goverment responds to Sadr, IMO we should have taken him out a couple of years ago.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

I've been reading that the Brits really haven't been doing that great a job in the South. That they tend to turn a blind eye to alot that goes on. The militia's are the largest problem in IRaq. They are trying to come to an agreement by which they would be disarmed and members would be rolled into the military but it's not going over well. The problem is that once people like Al-Sadr (or 90% of human beings world wide) gain power, they never want to relinquish it. I agree that this clown should have been killed a long time ago. In a strange way, this may prove to be the move that permits the US to move in and wipe out his militia. It would clearly be costly in terms of American lives, but a siege the likes of Falluja would probably cost Sadr 50-60% of his troops. At some point, the Mahdi army has to be disbanded or destroyed. Doing so would do alot to stabilize the country. Remember that Sadr is an Iranian pawn.

4. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This thread should read (Troops bad, Insurgents and America haters are great and we root for them, Anything to make America look bad HIP HIP HOORAY!!)

I mean they all take their cues from the original wartime America hater, Walter Cronkite.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

When Bush, Cheney and Rumsfield began this thing there were people who tried to balance their arguments and tried to show the outcome if we were to pursue this course of action. Instead of listening, the arguments of like minded individuals prevailed, thus this mess happened.

To this day, the inner circle, is comprised of people who pretty much agree with each other and there is no room for opposing views. I have read over and over again people knowledgeable people who understand the Sunni/Shiite/Kurd divisions tried to advise the inner circle of what would happen, however they were dismissed. There have been so many strategic mistakes in this effort, they are too numerous to list. These are not left wing talking points, but reality.. we are in a terrific jam and there is no clear end in sight. Know no one wants to compare to Viet Nam, but looking like it more and more every day.

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

BTW Mav why did you lie in the Title of the thread when you mentioned Americans lise an entire city?

Accoring to the article, the Brits had been in the city had left in August, the Iraqi's were in charge and given the location in Iraq Americans had never even been there?

Why lie and slander your country?

Why do leftist hate America?

7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

patsfan13, I'm not a leftist, but I understand it may be hard for you to not see things in terms of pure left/right ideology. I guess it comes with the territory of debating with the 30% of sheep who still support Bush.

This IS an American issue, because it shows Iraqi cities are sympathetic to anti-Allied forces, and reflects the growing chance that we are going to lose Iraq to non-friendly Iraqi leaders, defeating the entire point we are there (besides oil and reserve currency).

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

When your first poat on the political board was a conspiracy theory about war for oil written by a marxist professor that you presented as brilliant and followed up by a number of posts denigrating American troops and their actions... Anarchist perhaps?

What is your self description of your orientation. I view my self as a conservative libertarian., S Forbes and J Kemp tend to be reflective of my political positions.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

I find your affiliation interesting, as I am probably more of a liberatarian than anything else... however I am more to the left. Geez, we have something in common, happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

As a libertarian, I am appalled by our foreign policy. It is enough to make any reasonable, peace-loving person cynical and disillusioned. Also, it is naive of you to believe in the 'company line' of spreading democracy, and dismissing underlying issues related to oil, energy, and dollar currency. The official reason is complete hypocrisy given our foreign policy history.

You probably also believe Kosovo was more about stopping genocide, than asserting NATO's relevance, all while genocides elsewhere were ignored. Take a good hard look at our actions all over the world over the past 50 years, and tell me with a straight face that you still believe the official rhetoric over clear underlying motives.

From all of our actions from decades ago, up to today's torture prisons...We are no longer the 'light on the hill', the moral and philosophical leader. We are simply the latest thug on the top of the mountain, soon to fall off, in my opinion.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

Hey Pats Fan 13, have you ever read the exit strategy for the Liberatarian Party on Iraq.. kind of interesting.. it is only 8 pages long. I cannot find a division for conservative liberatarian and liberal liberatarian.

http://www.lp.org/exitplan.pdf

Our troops have completed their missions: the liberation of Iraq, the capture of
    Saddam Hussein, and the provision of security for the January 30, 2005, elections.
    American military personnel should be commended for accomplishing these difficult
    tasks and performing them in a courageous and selfless manner. We cannot continue
    to keep our servicemen and women committed to an open-ended, violent conflict in
    Iraq. By removing our troops in an orderly and systematic fashion over the course of
    one year, we will withdraw our troops on our terms while retaining the honor and
    respect that they deserve. By creating a direct aid program for Iraq, we give them
    the necessary funds to become an advanced, industrialized, democratic nation. By
    giving the Iraqi government full control over the disbursement of aid funds, we
    respect the wishes of the Iraqi people and foster the development of good diplomatic
    relations. Our exit strategy will help to end the senseless loss of American and Iraqi
    lives. It will ensure that Iraq is rebuilt in an efficient and expedient manner, at the
    lowest possible cost to the American taxpayers.

Above all else, the intent of this proposed strategy is to remove our troops from
    harm’s way and, in the near future, return them to their families — who have been
    supportive through these trying times. Our hope is that the great loss of life seen by
    both American and Iraqi families will give the Bush administration pause to consider
    and deploy this strategy for eventual peace.

12. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

patsfan13, here is an explanation of the petrodollar theory you are so quick to pass off as a marxist 'conspiracy'. Please read the congressional speech below, from 2/2006, by Congressman Ron Paul, a LIBERTARIAN from Texas:

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr021506.htm

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

A desire for peace in the abscence of standing up to tyrants has ensured war not peace.

Don't have a clear opinion about Kosovo and the nix of motivations. I think about Russia and their hsitorical connections with the Serbs played a role. The spectre of WW1 and problems in the Balkans were a factor.

As to the past 50 years, I think US policy was for the most part noble in confronting the Soviet Union and communism worldwide. As a country we should be proud in protecting the oiberty of millions and freeing millions fromt he grip of communism.

I know of no torture prisions.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,122 / 3 / -10

Just like Johnson/Nixon should have blown Hanoi right off the map. we didn't win in Viet Nam because we didn't fight "to win" we were bombing rice paddys and killing Water Buffalos, Jane Fonda and Kerry won the Viet Nam war. Eisenhower/Kennedy started it, we never should have gone to war with Viet Nam but once we did we should have "won", we never should have gone to war with Iraq but we did, now we should
    f-cking slaughter them, for every Muslim Terrorist we kill now in Iraq it will be one less to attack America again.

DO NOT CAVE IN AND SURRENDER LIKE NIXON DID.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Are there known knowns? yes
    Are ther known unknowns? of course
    Will there be any Unknown knowns? ceratinly
    Its is also true to say that there are unknown unknowns.

THAT kind of illogical leadership is what has us in this clusterF*&K called Iraq.

there is an interesting Flash video game here that pretty much sums it up:

http://www.newsgaming.com/games/index12.htm

If you have a few minutes today, check it out

16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wow...thats pretty astute. No wonder you are a Bushie.

17. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Yeah and you are a libertarian:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

How did the Americans loose control when the Brits controlled this sector and had handed it over to the Iraqi's in August? You wouldn't be misrepresenting the facts now mikey would you be?

19. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Still here? I thought you were some sort of soldier. Didn't you hear??

We're at war...the war of wars according to you cons...so why are you still here?

Freedom is on the march. Why aren't you defending freedom with your comrades in Iraq? Or are you just an online cheerleader for failed foreign policy??

20. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Hey you can insult me and the ANG all you want, I don't care, all I know is that my fellow soldiers and I, believe in what we are doing.

Thanks for your support.

:)