Welcome to PatsFans.com

Breaking: Edwards Not Participating In Fox/CBC Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

Whether you agree with Edwards or not, he is at least standing by his own principles and not kowtowing to the Congressional Black Caucus:

http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/...g_edwards_not_participating_in_fox_cbc_debate

"We just called the CBC to let them know that we're looking forward to their January debate with CNN but we're not going to participate in the proposed debate with Fox. The CBC champions critical issues that matter enormously to the future of our country, and we look forward to discussing them throughout this campaign and at their debate in January. But we believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective. If there was any uncertainty as to Fox's objectivity, it was put to rest when they attacked Democratic candidates, Democratic constituency groups, and the Nevada Democratic party when their last proposed debate was cancelled for lack of support."

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe he channelled the spirit of a dead 8 year old girl, and she told him to skip this one. You know, like he used to do in courtrooms while participating in the systematic destruction of our health care system.

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're quite the spinmeister, Patters, but I don't think Carville or Begala are worried about losing work. :D

Seriously, do you really believe Edwards backed out of dealing with Fox for any other reason than he already went limp a couple of weeks ago when he said he "would not debate on Fox because they are too partisan".

In other words, Edwards is just plain: :scared:

//

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

Of course had Edwards not backed out, the righties would have spun that he was kowtowing to the Congressional Black Caucus. But, already this thread has provided a good example of their disingenuineness.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Childish. Do Conservatives refuse to participate on networks other than Fox ?

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ok, so to restate the scene: Edwards is invited to participate in a debate sponsored by the Black Caucus, to be done on Fox. Edwards backs out, citing "We just called the CBC to let them know that we're looking forward to their January debate with CNN but we're not going to participate in the proposed debate with Fox. ... But we believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective. If there was any uncertainty as to Fox's objectivity, it was put to rest when they attacked Democratic candidates, Democratic constituency groups, and the Nevada Democratic party when their last proposed debate was cancelled for lack of support."

"... canceled for lack of support"???? Lack of *WHOSE* support, Patters?? (And, btw, the quote you provided misspells "canceled", using "cancelled" instead. Did you hand type that in by error? Or did you free-lance the entire quote yourself?? :eek:

It looks very much like Edwards is avoiding Fox out of fear someone at Fox is going to call him on his "largest mansion in the entire county", or, more to the point, is he afraid they will pin him down on his wild and reckless assertion that President Bush's policy to defeat terrorists is "just plain wrong"??

Anyway you slice it, Edwards is coming off looking like a total coward. Of course, the goal seems to be to start a movement among the Dem candidates that will have all of them running away from Fox. Just stay with warm fuzzy Katie Couric and the rest.

I predict it won't work. Americans can smell fear, and Edwards reeks of it now.

//

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

My only point was that he is sticking to his principles. You may regard that quality as cowardice, but I think in this day and age that takes a lot of courage, and your criticism kind of proves my point or it at least proves he's not afraid of the likes of you.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing that Fogbuster isn't part of Johhny's target demographic. :D

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, I'd still like to know what "principles" he's supposed to be sticking to.

Trying to start a boycott of Fox by all the Dem candidates??

What principles does he represent?

And "likes of you" -- meaning me -- is supposed to be what?? Darned if you naysayers always go down to the ad hom when you can't deal with the truth. What's up with that??

//

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  11. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:D

If he donated the use of his sumptuous estate for the benefit of the poor he champions on the campaign trail, I'd respect him more.

//

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

He's afraid if the "tough questions" cute Matt "Mousy" Lauer or Chris "Drooling" Matthews are more to his liking, FOX scares the sh!t out of those slobbering liberals haters.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

:singing: :singing: :singing:

Oh sh!t, Imagine this guy trying to protect America from the Muslims

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I dunno what to think here. On the one hand I know for a fact that Hannity and O'Reily are willing to stoop to the level of shutting off the microphones of guests who are wiping the floor with them. If Fox supports that, and you have to assume they do since its Fox's air it happens on, what's to stop them from pulling similar sleaze in this debate? On the other hand, if Fox is willing to eschew those tactics, and safeguards are put in place to make sure there are no 'accidents.' then Edwards needs to think in terms of getting his message out to as many people as possible. Regardless of how you feel about Fox, they bring a large number of voters to the table.

15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Edwards' #1 principle is that lawyers in society are more valuable than doctors.

Kinda ironic how things worked out for his family, huh...?

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

boy, every time I think you've gone as low as one can go, you find a way to prove me wrong.

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

Amen.

[​IMG]

The guy's a fraud. He's not going because why? Cuz he thinks Fox is biased? Awe, poor baby. As if other channels are bastions of objectivity. He's doing this because he wants the publicity of turning FOX down, and people thus talking about why he's not there. I know though, it's principles, just like it's principles that send well wishers for ahis wife a contribution request. Shameless I'll tell ya.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

You know, the guy leaks like a siff. His bottom lip especially, is always loaded with drool. I watch his show almost everyday, and I always notice cuz I had a friend who was like that back in HS. We honestly used to call him "droolly" cuz of it. I do like his show though, even though it's moved further and further left since last fall.

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You got that right about the big numbers.

I think Edwards is the sacrificial lamb in all of this. His chances of being the Dem candidate -- let's face it -- are very low. Either Hillary or Obama have the inside track; Hillary's going to have be caught in bed with a dead man or a live woman -- visa versa for Obama -- for either to be knocked out early. So that leaves John "Hairstyle" Edwards as the odd man out. He's been there and done that as a Veep candidate, and I don't think he would settle for that again.

So the Dems know they are going to get squeezed big time on the way to 2008. The right is still steaming over the "October surprise" Foley debacle last year, and the Dems know they are in for a tough ride on Fox. So John Edwards stands point on boycotting Fox. And they all wait and see what happens. Then, if the polls show no big loss, it'll be: hey, if Edwards can do it, they ALL can do it. And you KNOW Hillary LOVE that! For her to be able to avoid the questions Fox would ask her would be a gift from ...well, ... somewhere.

But, in the end, most people will stay with their Fox; they will watch that news and coverage because it IS the most objective, if for no other reason it carries things you don't get at CNN or the networks. And now the Dems are hurting for their bump in the audience/viewership that will give them the 50.0001% of the states' votes for the electoral college. Big risk.

So, if the Dems continue to boycott Fox you will know they are really, really afraid. "Scared shirtless", as my old platoon sergeant would say.

:cool3:

//

20. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You better believe he's no fan of High Def TV!!!

42 inches of seeing the quality of shave you have, not to mention other private situations. As one guy said to me: HDTV actually tells you stuff you don't really need to know.

:eek:

//