PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandt: You don't win titles with players like Welker

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
"Wes Welker is a good football player ... but you're not going to win championships with that kind of player.''
-- Sirius NFL Radio host and former Dallas personnel czar Gil Brandt, on his satellite show last week, discussing the wide receiver/returner who was traded from Miami to New England last month.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/08/mmqb/2.html

lol.

I didn't realize we were planning on riding Welker to a ring. Brady and Seymour are scrubs. WES WELKER is the face of the Patriots.

what a moron, what would compell you to make such a ******ed comment?

If Welker would be our #1 WR, he would be right. He isn't so he isn't.

I keep forgetting, how many SuperBowl championship teams has Gil Brandt been on again.....?

God Bless, are they all that bored that they have to come with crap like that, unbelievable... I wish football off season was not sooooo long.

Bulletin board stuff.

I'm pretty sure he meant, and he later added that you "don't win a SB with a team full of Wes Welkers". I'll agree with him on that.

I just think he's old and didn't do a great job of getting his point across.;)

Actually, he has a point. To this point in NFL history no team has managed to win the Superbowl with Wes Welker on the roster.

You win titles with players like Dexter Reid.

I just don't get this comment? Could the same be said about 95% of the players on rosters in the NFL? I mean, no kidding Gil, nobody said that it was Welker that is putting us over the top. Now he could say that about Thomas if he wished, but I guess he would of possibly sounded like a bigger fool if he did.

These are slow newsweeks. They're just writing something ridiculous to stir up the pot.

lol.

I didn't realize we were planning on riding Welker to a ring. Brady and Seymour are scrubs. WES WELKER is the face of the Patriots.

rofl that's EXACTLY what i was thinking when i read this idiot's quote lol

football is the ultimate TEAM sport....

so with that fact you dont win with just welker or brady or seymour, but as a team....

you do have faces of the franchise liek brady and seymour/bruschi and vrabel that lead their respective units but you cant ride one person to a ring

most recent example are the colts....past years it was always on manning's back, but now that the defense finally stepped up....they played as a team and won a ring

another stupid article by si.com.....keep goign si lol....

lol.

There are no ******ed comments....just ******ed people:singing:

I think a lot of you are missing the point. He wasn't criticizing Welker directly. He was stating that you need more than over achieving, good locker room guys to win a championship. This all came up after a Dolphins fan called in and was worried about the team losing Welker to the Patriots.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. He wasn't criticizing Welker directly. He was stating that you need more than over achieving, good locker room guys to win a championship. This all came up after a Dolphins fan called in and was worried about the team losing Welker to the Patriots.

The NE Pats team that defeated the Rams for their first Super Bowl was the definition of a group of overachievers.

read the article - King backs us

King disagrees with Brandt and says that he is sure this will be bulletin board material that BB will use. Also he says Welker is in the league and productive because he won't be denied. He compares him to an offensive Tedy Bruschi role player.

Sounds like just the type of player we have won with.

Welker is our next Troy Brown....and last I checked, we won three with him

Re: read the article - King backs us

King disagrees with Brandt and says that he is sure this will be bulletin board material that BB will use. Also he says Welker is in the league and productive because he won't be denied. He compares him to an offensive Tedy Bruschi role player.

Sounds like just the type of player we have won with.

Here is the entire excerpt.

Quote of the Week III
"Wes Welker is a good football player ... but you're not going to win championships with that kind of player.''
-- Sirius NFL Radio host and former Dallas personnel czar Gil Brandt, on his satellite show last week, discussing the wide receiver/returner who was traded from Miami to New England last month.

Now, of every quote that has been uttered by every person with some connection to the NFL this offseason, I can guarantee you this one will make the Patriots' bulletin board (either real or mental). There's no question that Bill Belichick will make sure that Welker knows Brandt uttered these words when training camp begins in Foxboro in July -- and likely beforehand.

I've always liked Brandt, but this kind of thinking strikes me as the reason why the classic NFL personnel man -- which Brandt is -- sometimes outthinks himself. Undrafted in 2004 because he was too small (5-foot-9, 180 pounds) and supposedly not fast enough, Welker signed with San Diego, got waived and hooked up with Miami. He has no business being a productive NFL player. But he is a good player for a simple reason: He will not be denied. Only two players in the last 15 years -- Derrick Mason with Tennessee in 2001 and Welker in Miami last year -- have led their teams in punt returns, kick returns and receptions in the same year. He works hard and reminds the Patriots of an offensive Tedy Bruschi ... or the second coming of Troy Brown. Speaking of versatile receiver/returners, Brown and Welker have a lot in common. Through seven rounds of the 1993 draft, no NFL team picked Brown, a receiver/returner from Marshall. Through seven rounds of the 2004 draft, no NFL team picked Welker, a receiver/returner from Texas Tech. And Brown has been a key component of three Super Bowl teams because of his winning versatility -- the same trait we've seen in Welker for the past three years.

It's foolish to guarantee the Patriots will ever win a Super Bowl with Welker on the roster. But I will disagree with Brandt. Welker is the kind of player you win championships with.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back