PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes: Tough, Physical Punishing Hits....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I think he needs a confidence booster, but the past couple of games, and the way he has taken control of how he play, will be big builder and will go a long way into making him one of the premiere linebackers in the league. I remember when they drafted him and my loud "yahoo." Hightower, too.

I've never been a huge fan of Spikes, but even I'll admit he had a pretty good game. He just needs to work on his coverage skills :eek: :D

Isn't this a contract year? I can't say is expect him to take a bb offer and stay for less. He came out of Florida, and hasn't seen much losing football. I wouldn't be surprised to see him chase a payday.

My only question with Spikes is his ability to cover as a 4-3 MLB. As long as they can find a way to cover for that, this kid is going to be a difference maker.

physical play, big hits, and brings some NASTY to the table on defense! yup, spikes is a fun player to watch and he really impacted the football game against the bills!

physical play, big hits, and brings some NASTY to the table on defense! yup, spikes is a fun player to watch and he really impacted the football game against the bills!

please shut up...only negative, ripping, tearing hate filled posts about Spikes are allowed after the Pats lose 28 to 52 like this...you've been warned...thanx...The Bawkagement

Isn't this a contract year? I can't say is expect him to take a bb offer and stay for less. He came out of Florida, and hasn't seen much losing football. I wouldn't be surprised to see him chase a payday.

He's under contract for one more year after this, so he's not in the Welker, Chung, Vollmer, Arrington category of starters who are free agents after this season.

And as I just posted in the draft forum, where could Spikes go? There are a lot of schemes where he's just too slow to be worth bringing in.

He's under contract for one more year after this, so he's not in the Welker, Chung, Vollmer, Arrington category of starters who are free agents after this season.

And as I just posted in the draft forum, where could Spikes go? There are a lot of schemes where he's just too slow to be worth bringing in.

There are plenty of 3-4 teams out there.

There are plenty of 3-4 teams out there.
A lot of them are using really light ILBs to get more speed on the field, though. Ray Lewis just a bunch of weight and is playing in the 220s right now. James Farrior played at 212 pounds at the end of his career. Spikes would fit with the Chiefs right now, but that scheme is probably going to change once Romeo is gone. Spikes is one of the heaviest starting LBs, and is probably the slowest 250 pound linebacker in the NFL. He'd be a step in the exact opposite direction from what most teams are doing right now.

Last edited:
Spikes tied with Ninko for the leader in tackles today...let's start a thread about how bad he saucks and why we want to get rid of him...this was a terrible 28 to 52 loss today...
argue.gif
argue.gif
argue.gif
argue.gif

He's a linebacker, not a DB and he does just fine.

He's a LB? Well that changes everything. :cool:

I didnt say he sucked, I just said he needs work on his coverage skills. Anyone who watched the game can see that.

Play of the game for me was the forced fumble at the goal line right before the half. I know how the score ended up but had the bills got a TD then, it would have really been an uphill climb.

I tried to tell everyone Spikes would emerge. I've seen the kid play too many times to have doubted him coming out of the draft. He's nasty, physical and, most importantly, football smart (can't say the same off the field). Plays like the one he made against Baltimore last season and the Jets on the 45-3 game were regular things at UF. He is and always will be a bit slow, but those who are saying he lacks coverage skills are just flat wrong. Watch UF film, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

If just one player could emerge as a consistent playmaker in the secondary (please Devin, take the next step), then the Pats would have a playmaker at every level of the defense, kinda like how they talk about Baltimore's D. If Chandler continues to emerge , then they'll have two on the D-Line alone.

Last edited:
that's three times in three threads that you've crapped on Chandler Jones today...do you NOT watch the games and just make up garbage later on?...you pick a player and then post lies about him?...the Pats had 2 sacks today in a 52 to 28 win...Chandler Jones had one of them...it was a HUGE play...he leads the Pats D linemen in tackles and sacks...he sacked Flacco for a 15 yard loss that would have dramatically changed the game last week, called back on a 5 yard "hold" that never existed..a total phantom...and all you do is go off about how he has to "step it up" ....I have no idea who the hell you are comparing him to on the Pats that he has to "step it up!" to...mainly because I think you're yakking out of your pie shredder and don't know what you're talking about.

that's three times in three threads that you've crapped on Chandler Jones today...do you NOT watch the games and just make up garbage later on?...you pick a player and then post lies about him?...the Pats had 2 sacks today in a 52 to 28 win...Chandler Jones had one of them...it was a HUGE play...he leads the Pats D linemen in tackles and sacks...he sacked Flacco for a 15 yard loss that would have dramatically changed the game last week, called back on a 5 yard "hold" that never existed..a total phantom...and all you do is go off about how he has to "step it up" ....I have no idea who the hell you are comparing him to on the Pats that he has to "step it up!" to...mainly because I think you're yakking out of your pie shredder and don't know what you're talking about.
I'm assuming you're talking to me since my last post includes Jones. I won't go on a tirade like you did. I'll simply implore you to research my posts and read everything I've written about my feelings on Jones. I'm sure you'll uncover something drastically different than what you think you're seeing. Besides that, I'm really confused as to these other threads where I've apparently "crapped on Chandler Jones today." I haven't even really begun posting anything on the board about Sunday (besides the game thread) until about 45 mins ago. You may be mixing me up with someone else.

Last edited:

Just rewatched the game, Glenn eats Jones lunch all game long. It was getting bad enough that tried flip flopping him with ninko a bit before Glenn went down. The sack was a product of Cunningham (great game btw) beating the replacement guard like a rented mule.

Last edited:
Sorry...apologies if I'm mistaken...it could be because of similar posts on other Pats boards...anyway, you know how I am, PB 12.I love making straw men and then lighting them on fire...:eat3:

If Glenn eating Jone's lunch equates to 5 tackles and a sack...then I hope to God Jones goes hungry all season...

If Glenn eating Jone's lunch equates to 5 tackles and a sack...then I hope to God Jones goes hungry all season...

How many tackles after Glenn left? How many in pursuit? He had one great play to blow up a run in the backfield, and the sack that Cunningham gift wrapped for him. The rest of his day was incredibly meh. Simply not the performance we have seen, and I attribute that to Glenn doing a good job, because he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back