PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats_2007

On the Roster
Reaction score
He was suppose the be the Patriots Future Starting FS but the Way James Sanders played this year it looks like Sanders will be the starting Free Saftey for the Pats for the next couple of years.

What will the Pats do with Meriweather?? Will they move him to CB??? Or leave him as a Free Saftey?

Last edited:
He was suppose the be the Patriots Future Starting FS but the Way James Sanders played this year it looks like Sanders will be the starting Free Saftey for the Pats for the next couple of years.

What will the Pats do with Meriweather?? Will they move him to CB??? Or leave him as a Free Saftey?

Sanders is better off at strong safety. hes not great in coverage but hes a good blitzer and very good tackler. Reason hes at free is because hes the best option there now since Rodney is best @ SS

if Rodney isnt back for some reason next year or maybe not starting..it would be Meriweather @ Free and Sanders @ STrong. thats the future

From seeing Merriweather on Patriots All Access recently, I get the impression that the kid has his head on straight. It was good to see him get more playing time as the season unfolded. My guess is that he'll be alright.

Unless an Ed Reed drops into their laps in the draft, I think the Pats are in pretty decent shape with Sanders and Merriweather. I think they'll keep their eye out for another "Rodney" type safety -- a veteran who would like to finish up a career with a winning team and get a ring.

I'm sorry to partialy hijack the thread, but Meriweather Is invoved. I was listening to the radio,and Chris Landry ( former Belicheck scout) was asked about defensive rookies of the year.After listening to his analysis, I have to say what I've been think for a while. Now that its all said and done its pretty obvious that the player we should have picked,and who everyone Thought we should have picked back on draft day,we should have picked. And thats David Harris ILB Michigan. Brandon Meariweather May turn out to be a very good saftey some day,but Harris has proved to be a very good 3-4 ILB already. He's been mentioned as being in the top three as far as defensive rookie of the year. I still don't understand why we didn't take him,he was sitting right there to be had. When it comes done to it who would you rather have taken. Harris ILB (a extremly thin position) who has made his mark plying in BB scheam with the Jets,or Meriweather who May turn out to be a good saftey in a year or two. I vote for Harris.But I guess now will just have to sign him as a free agent.
As far as Meriweathers future I see him as a FS he has the speed,fluidity,and quickness to be the future at FS. It would be a wast of his athletic ability to put him at SS,unless he adds another 10-12 lbs.

Last edited:
I believe that Sanders' was a SS and played behind Harrison last year when he was hurt (Hawkins played behind Wilson as FS). Obviously, with Harrison healthy, Sanders got on the field beating out Wilson at FS this year. Since injury is always a concern in the defensive backfield (Poole and Law and Gay then Harrison and Wilson and Gay et cetera), I think depth is a good problem to have.

I'm sorry to partialy hijack the thread, but Meriweather Is invoved. I was listening to the radio,and Chris Landry ( former Belicheck scout) was asked about defensive rookies of the year.After listening to his analysis, I have to say what I've been think for a while. Now that its all said and done its pretty obvious that the player we should have picked,and who everyone Thought we should have picked back on draft day,we should have picked. And thats David Harris ILB Michigan. Brandon Meariweather May turn out to be a very good saftey some day,but Harris has proved to be a very good 3-4 ILB already. He's been mentioned as being in the top three as far as defensive rookie of the year. I still don't understand why we didn't take him,he was sitting right there to be had. When it comes done to it who would you rather have taken. Harris ILB (a extremly thin position) who has made his mark plying in BB scheam with the Jets,or Meriweather who May turn out to be a good saftey in a year or two. I vote for Harris.But I guess now will just have to sign him as a free agent.
As far as Meriweathers future I see him as a FS he has the speed,fluidity,and quickness to be the future at FS. It would be a wast of his athletic ability to put him at SS,unless he adds another 10-12 lbs.

if you think being very good is tackling 5 yards past LOS, then your wrong. Harris is racking up stats but his tackles were like Vilmas. not his fault because he needs good NT in front of him like every ILB needs really but to call him very good simply because hes racking up tackles is premature

This argument might seem legit, but it really doesn't hold water.

Think about it, if NE had any intention of drafting Harris they could have taken him at 28th overall, after having already selected Meriweather. So, it wasn't simply a choice of Harris or Meriweather. Also, I doubt Harris would have got so much playing time his first year if NE had drafted him, as they have Seau, AD, and Bruschi. Maybe his playing time would have increased with Colvin going down, but I'm willing to bet he'd still be a backup (like Meriweather) right now.

We should also give it a few years before deciding which is the better pro.

Incidently, I've argued with Chris Landry before. He told me Lendale White was a better pick and made more sense for NE than Maroney. I disagreed, and said I thought they would pick the Golden Gopher RB. If he's saying David Harris is the Defensive Rookie of the year, I'll again disagree with him. Patrick Willis has proven to be every bit of the LB some of us believed he could be, and he'll likely win the award.

Last edited:
This argument might seem legit, but it really doesn't hold water.

Think about it, if NE had any intention of drafting Harris they could have taken him at 28th overall, after having already selected Meriweather. So, it wasn't simply a choice of Harris or Meriweather. Also, I doubt Harris would have got so much playing time his first year if NE had drafted him, as they have Seau, AD, and Bruschi. Maybe his playing time would have increased with Colvin going down, but I'm willing to bet he'd still be a backup (like Meriweather) right now.

We should also give it a few years before deciding which is the better pro.

Incidently, I've argued with Chris Landry before. He told me Lendale White was a better pick and made more sense for NE than Maroney. I disagreed, and said I thought they would pick the Golden Gopher RB. If he's saying David Harris is the Defensive Rookie of the year, I'll again disagree with him. Patrick Willis has proven to be every bit of the LB some of us believed he could be, and he'll likely win the award.
I've seen Harris play once,he wasn't bad. Landry mentioned him as One of a small number of potential D-rookies of the year. Last draft day I was on this board and people here couldn't believe that we didn't take Harris . He was considered a perfect fit. Soon came the refrain about "are we ever going to take a LB in the draft". I don't consider myself any type of expert on football strategy,I depend on some of the people on this board for that. And a number of them wanted Harris too last spring. BTW in the last month,month and a half Iv'e been hearing Harris's name more and more,and that hes instinctual and a hard hitter. The point of the post was if we had a do over Who would we take? Harris, or Meriweather. Thats all, but I guess its the same old,same old...Harris was great up until we didn't take him now hes a bum.

Last edited:
Meriweather projects next season to being the #3 safety and regular dime DB. Quite possibly nickel too, but BB seems to usually escalate straight to the dime w/o a true nickel package.

As the #3 safety, he will have an excellent chance to take a few snaps away from Rodney or Sanders just to rest them, as well as getting the starts when one is out.

Can he beat out Sanders for the starting job? We'll see.

Personally have liked what I have seen, the pats have brought him along slowly.. he had seen a lot of ST action, and now is part of the D back rotation. He reportedly has all the skills, but lacks the NFL experience. Lately seems to be around the ball more, some ferocious hits and he will fit in.. nice to have a guy like him on board. Remember in the past how we would find guys on the street and plug them in, our DB's have been fairly healthy all year. These are good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down