PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. I do have a feeling, though, that as draft day looms closer, Johnson's value will definitely increase. Especially if he has a good bowl game.
I think he's more player than athlete - certainly his size is only so-so. I would love us to get him if Belichick would be OK with 2 smaller Safeties. Personally I like it as the league is so much passing now I am not sure we can afford to have the classic Harrison type Safety.

The hit he put on Leinart yesterday was awesome .. he can really blitz and he's fast .. we should call it more often

If he can get a little better in coverage, esp against the TE's he's going to be a worthy first day pick. Second obviously to Cassel he's the most improved guy on the team this year

Now if we can get another top safety from the draft to line up next to him ... then in 2 or 3 years, BW, JM, GG and ANOther will look good and young!

I pay no attention to this draft stuff since most of the people putting together top 50 lists, top pass rusher lists, etc. etc., have not been watching the games. This is easy to prove. Selvie has been getting awards as top defensive player in the BE, but he has not been anywhere near as good as UConn's DE Cody Brown, who fits in well with the Patriots' scheme as a bigger DE at 270 who can also rush the passer.

Amen, my brother!!! I have been talking about this in the draft room for two years now.

The problem is there is no pass rushing demon in this draft. Last year I was drooling at the prospect of what a guy like Groves could do in our defense on third down.

And I do not see any Free Agents that excite me either.

I have a Dallas friend who says that Jerry J. is thinking he needs a replacement for Romo... Without a first rounder to trade, how would Demarcus Ware look in a Patriots uniform?

Brandon played well. I really like him. Perhaps, he will be the next Harrison?

Brandon played well. I really like him. Perhaps, he will be the next Harrison?

He seems to be a different player from Rodney. He has great speed and great ballhawking skills. Rodney on the Patriots was best known for his tackling prowess and leadership, with above average cover skills. They both have great instincts though, and I could see Brandon being better than Rodney down the road.

He seems to be a different player from Rodney. He has great speed and great ballhawking skills. Rodney on the Patriots was best known for his tackling prowess and leadership, with above average cover skills. They both have great instincts though, and I could see Brandon being better than Rodney down the road.

Rodney is arguably one of the top 3 safeties of all time. The only defensive back ever with 30+ sacks and interceptions.

I think he's more player than athlete - certainly his size is only so-so. I would love us to get him if Belichick would be OK with 2 smaller Safeties. Personally I like it as the league is so much passing now I am not sure we can afford to have the classic Harrison type Safety.

I agree, he is more football player than athlete and as a former walk on, he has played like he has something to prove on every single play for the past several years.

I think Florida exposed him a bit in the championship game, and that may drop in into the 2nd or third round, depending on how he runs.

Rodney is arguably one of the top 3 safeties of all time. The only defensive back ever with 30+ sacks and interceptions.

Well, this season alone Meriweather's gotten 10% of the way to joining him (2 sacks, 4 INTs). :D

Meriweather is still a work in progress IMO. A couple of superb blitz's don't mask his open field play. He is certainly getting better though. Not for nothing, but this team kinda sucks at drafting safeties.

I said elsewhere yesterday that I thought Meriweather was our game MVP yesterday. He was near 2 INTS and on maybe 3/4 more occasions was right in the vicinty of the intended receiver with an eye on making the play.

I'd love to see us pair him with a Will Moore or a Patrick Chung next year. If Rodney's done that is.

Meriweather is playing much better than last year, let alone last month. Both he and Mayo are playing every down of every game. Those two will form the rock of our future defense. We need one or two more people on defense and we will be set for the rest of the next decade!

Meriweather is still a work in progress IMO. A couple of superb blitz's don't mask his open field play. He is certainly getting better though. Not for nothing, but this team kinda sucks at drafting safeties.

Who else have they drafted at safety higher than 3rd round?

And that is the point Real World. He is starting to look like a quality safety. The progression is there and that is what I am pleased with.

Last year the knock was on his stone hands. He's learnt to put himself into position to make those interceptions this season and he's now holding them.

If Rodney were to retire this upcoming end of season, I'd love him to stay around mentoring, perhaps even coaching the safeties. Meriweather needs someone equally as talented and hard hitting next to him patrolling the field. I'd love to see opposing QB's throw at the middle of the field if that eventuated.

Imagine the blitzes we could call with a developed safety rotation on the back of some decent corners and a renewed linebacking core...

I have a Dallas friend who says that Jerry J. is thinking he needs a replacement for Romo... Without a first rounder to trade, how would Demarcus Ware look in a Patriots uniform?

You're dreaming big time. Dallas isn't sending Demarcus Ware anywheres. He's one of the top 3 OLB in the league.

BM has shown steady improvement this season, which is a good sign. Hopefully he can continue to blossom next year into a serious threat at safety. He still doesn't bring the in the box presence and tackling ability of a Harrison though. Pats need an enforcer. BM is good, but he's not an enforcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back