PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather - ready to step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's absolutely ready to step up. He was making some smash mouth hits at the end of the year. Going to love having this guy in our secondary.

Let's consider what a ready to go Meriweather can do to a (lets face it, slow) defense. First, let's look at what made him a first-rounder:

1) Explosion. This kid can really accelerate and begin to reach full speed in three steps. You can tell he has a strong, explosive trunk and a great weight/strength ratio.

2) Vision. Some might diasgree with me on this one, but I believe that he sees the field really well. He takes good angles to the ball, doesn't take false steps and gets there pissed off. I've seen him make a few plays where he "locks in" on a runner out of the backfield. He flies up through loose traffic and meets the ballcarrier 3-5 yards from the LOS instead of 5-15. A tremendous asset in screens, counter treys and pop passes.

3) He can pop. He drops his hips, keeps his head up, strikes through the hit and wraps securely.

4) COD. I didn't think he was spectacular at this until I saw some film of him coming off of a dead linear sprint and into a hard >45 degree cut. He dropped his hips, dipped his shoulder, dug his cleat in and accelerated through the cut. Another is watching how a player changes from a backpedal to siderunning to a full sprint. He does this well. The other really impressive thing is how quickly he can stop his backward momentum and accelerate to the ball in front of him. It's high-level. Those are all examples of what makes a ball player, not a strict athlete.

When you combine those four assets, you begin to build the prototypical mold for a free safety. I'm a strong advocate of having your hardest hitters being safeties. I feel it can create a mental effect on the offense. A fast, explosive and agile free safety in conjunction with improved team speed can create the swarming feeling. It can be incredibly mentally frustrating for backs to think they have cleared the backers only to find a safety in their face instantly. As a rule, the faster your team closes daylight, the better your d is going to be.

I dislike wide recievers. Passionately. In general, they don't like to soil their jerseys. Put them on the ground frequently and forcefully and they will eventually quit. Make them aware that they will be punished for running their routes. It's amazing what the effect of constant thumping can do to someone's desire to compete.

You guys agree? Disagree?

Last edited:
Let's consider what a ready to go Meriweather can do to a (lets face it, slow) defense. First, let's look at what made him a first-rounder:

1) Explosion. This kid can really accelerate and begin to reach full speed in three steps. You can tell he has a strong, explosive trunk and a great weight/strength ratio.

2) Vision. Some might diasgree with me on this one, but I believe that he sees the field really well. He takes good angles to the ball, doesn't take false steps and gets there pissed off. I've seen him make a few plays where he "locks in" on a runner out of the backfield. He flies up through loose traffic and meets the ballcarrier 3-5 yards from the LOS instead of 5-15. A tremendous asset in screens, counter treys and pop passes.

3) He can pop. He drops his hips, keeps his head up, strikes through the hit and wraps securely.

4) COD. I didn't think he was spectacular at this until I saw some film of him coming off of a dead linear sprint and into a hard >45 degree cut. He dropped his hips, dipped his shoulder, dug his cleat in and accelerated through the cut. Another is watching how a player changes from a backpedal to siderunning to a full sprint. He does this well. The other really impressive thing is how quickly he can stop his backward momentum and accelerate to the ball in front of him. It's high-level. Those are all examples of what makes a ball player, not a strict athlete.

When you combine those four assets, you begin to build the prototypical mold for a free safety. I'm a strong advocate of having your hardest hitters being safeties. I feel it can create a mental effect on the offense. A fast, explosive and agile free safety in conjunction with improved team speed can create the swarming feeling. It can be incredibly mentally frustrating for backs to think they have cleared the backers only to find a safety in their face instantly. As a rule, the faster your team closes daylight, the better your d is going to be.

I dislike wide recievers. Passionately. In general, they don't like to soil their jerseys. Put them on the ground frequently and forcefully and they will eventually quit. Make them aware that they will be punished for running their routes. It's amazing what the effect of constant thumping can do to someone's desire to compete.

You guys agree? Disagree?

Agree or disagree, this is a HELLUVA post. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back