PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather is now an elite safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to again take this thread off topic, but I think some fans have slightly hazy memories when it comes to Rodney Harrison. I know it's an increasingly "what have you done for me lately" world in which we live in, but Let's go over Rodney's career. Rodney retired after racking up 1198 tackles, 114 PD's, 30.5 sacks, 16 Forced Fumbles, and 34 INT's. Those are ridiculous statistics, and mirror my opinion that Rodney in his prime was among the best Safeties the NFL has ever seen. Let's compare some of his stats to one of todays "elite" Safeties, Troy Polamalu.

Rodney went over the 100 tackle mark seven times during his career, and three times during his first six years as a pro. Troy Polamalu has already played six seasons in the NFL, and has yet to even come close to totaling 100 tackles. Rodney's racking up those 120-138 tackle seasons shouldn't be overlooked either, as he wasn't the only elite member on those defenses, and wasn't simply cleaning up mistakes.

When it comes to game changing plays, Rodney had 22 INT's after seven seasons in the league. After having played six seasons (and one game), Polamalu has 18 INT's, and while his current injury hurts his ability to pass Rodney's early efforts, let's not forget that Rodney missed eleven games during his first seven years as a pro. This is also something to keep in mind when comparing Rodney's 16 sacks over seven years to Polamalu's current 7 sacks in six years. Troy would have to rack up 9 sacks by the end of the season to catch Rodney, and I don't see it happening.

Getting back to the topic at hand, Brandon's playing quite well, and has become a leader on New England's defense. I think he's heading in that direction, but he's not yet what I would call an "elite" safety. However, I will say that I haven't noticed many teams throwing directly toward Meriweather, which is a sign that his coverage is usually very good, and apposing teams know throwing it in his direction can be dangerous. That pass breakup on a would be TD to Mason was an outstanding play, as he diagnosed the pass, and got there faster than McGowan who was actually covering Mason's half.

Great analysis.

I never said he was slow, just that "he doesn't have elite speed." Which he certainly doesn't, given that he weighs all of 195 lbs. 4.47 for a 195-lb. DB is nothing extraordinary -- it's Eugene Wilson numbers. When I think about safeties with "elite speed" I think of guys like Bob Sanders at 204/4.35 or Nick Collins at 206/4.36 LaRon Landry at 213/4.35.

That's why when I hear people marveling over Meriweather's speed, I take it as a tribute to his alert and instinctive play.

The difference,also,is that Leron Landry or Roy Williams,when he was with Dallas,couldn't cover me.

I don't mean to whiz into everyone's kool-aid, but Merriweather still has a ways to go IMO. He's good sometimes, no where to found at others.

I'm not ready to say elite right now but he is very good and one of the best. He is living up to the name "the Hit Stick" and he is flying around the field. I think right now hes been the MVP of the D so far. Lets not forget McGowan's play so far as well. Hes been right there with the Hit Stick and hes made a few big plays as well. James Sanders has been solid as usual and we still have our top pick in the Draft to look forward to. Our Depth in the secondary is second to non IMO.

I don't mean to whiz into everyone's kool-aid, but Merriweather still has a ways to go IMO. He's good sometimes, no where to found at others.

Please back your statement up with some sort of argument or proof.

I told you so.....He was the guy that stood out the most to me in Training Camp. He was making plays on a daily basis. He stood so much I was saying he was going to be boderline pro bowler stating the reps/play of the true elite safeties in the AFC might keep him out. I am not ready to call him Elite yet but if he keeps playing like this he will be deserving of a pro bowl even if the reps of the other safeties keep him out. IMO to be elite you have to do it year in and year out he was good last year (much improved last year) and is playing great right now but elite is great year in and year out.

what ever adjectives you want to use we all agree he is balling right now.

I'm not ready to say that yet, but I think he is playing very well so far this season.

what is your deal? are you playing fantasy or not?

you left two guys in your lineup who were on a bye...

lame

Ronnie Lott bought a Brandon Meriweather fathead and drifts off to sleep every night thinking one day... one day...

:rolleyes:

From a bust to elite, pretty cool.

All of the "elite" safties that are being referred to here (Lott, Harrison, Polahoweveryourspellit, etc) all have the same thing in common, they hit, hard and often. What Meriweather is doing by bringing the heat, is going to pay off in the long run. How many ball through the years do you think have been dropped becuase the WR was wondering where's Lott/Rodney and is he about to light me up? The Pats have been hitting people this year, like it is 2001. These guys watch tape all week, and WR are gonna start noticing that they better keep their heads on a swivel or they are gonna get hit.

All of the "elite" safties that are being referred to here (Lott, Harrison, Polahoweveryourspellit, etc) all have the same thing in common, they hit, hard and often. What Meriweather is doing by bringing the heat, is going to pay off in the long run. How many ball through the years do you think have been dropped becuase the WR was wondering where's Lott/Rodney and is he about to light me up? The Pats have been hitting people this year, like it is 2001. These guys watch tape all week, and WR are gonna start noticing that they better keep their heads on a swivel or they are gonna get hit.

We'll get a lot of Claytonesque drops if we keep bringing the lumber. And some fumbles and INTs, too.

From a bust to elite, pretty cool.

Yep. Only on Patsfans.com. "Middle ground? We don't need no stinking middle ground!" ;)

I respectfully disagree. I love Harrison, he's one of my all time favorite Patriot, but IMO I don't believe he was ever in the same level as Ed and Troy who I think both belong in the GOAT Safety discussions.

I think that you are comparing apples to organges. Reed and Troy are/were far better coverage safeties than Rodney, but I think that Rodney was an equally better run support safety than those guys. My goodness, comparing Ed Reed and Rodney, you might as well compare a DB with a DE--they play such different roles in their defenses even though they are both called "safeties".

I've never seen a better run-support safety than Rodney, and that matters in this game even though it doesn't give you stats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey