PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather is now an elite safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been more impressed with Brandon's performance in the first 4 games than any other Patriots player on the field.

He is responsible for at least 2 stops on Ravens drives that could have resulted in TDs or at least FGs and has made big plays in the other 2 wins this season.

The way he is running around the field with his superb speed and making plays out of nowhere reminds me of another Elite Safety in the NFL - Troy Polamalu

I think we can safely say that Brandon Meriweather has graduated into Elite Status as an NFL Safety and when it comes to mentioning great Safeties in 2009 - Ed Reed,Troy Polamalu,Michael Griffin come to mind as well as rookie Louis Delmas but add to this list Brandon because he deserves to be there.

I think we can say that Rodney played a big part of his maturing process

I'm not ready to say that yet, but I think he is playing very well so far this season.

Am I the only one whose eyes rolled out of their sockets in shock and made babies on the floor when Merry absolutely flattened McGahee (McGahee's touchdown at the start of the fourth quarter)? I didn't even care that the Ravens had scored; that was one of the fiercest hits I've seen a Patriot make in a long time.

Reed is the best centerfield safety, Sanders is the best in the box, Troy P is best all around. Meriweather, does what he's supposed to, does it very well...but he has never taken over a game with game changing plays like those 3.
The big question is not only how many are worthy of elite status...but what number of players at any position is worthy of being called elite.
My definition of elite is ....2 players or less. A good thread during a slow news period would be ....Elite players at each position.

He needs to have this type of game every week for a couple of seasons before we should even be putting him in the same sentence of Ed Reed and Polamalu. Those two guys are first ballot HOFs. Teams gameplan around them and yet they still make plays.

Do I think BM will eventually get there? I hope, but even if they doesn't reach those two guys' status, if he can reach the Rodney Harrison status, I'd be ecstatic.

Reed is the best centerfield safety, Sanders is the best in the box, Troy P is best all around. Meriweather, does what he's supposed to, does it very well...but he has never taken over a game with game changing plays like those 3.
The big question is not only how many are worthy of elite status...but what number of players at any position is worthy of being called elite.
My definition of elite is ....2 players or less. A good thread during a slow news period would be ....Elite players at each position.

Right now I agree the bolded is the big differentiator. Once Meriweather is consistently making game-changing/winning plays (like the blitz sack end of last year) we can talk about graduating him to elite status.

But an elite safety makes that fingertip pick on the deflected pass. Not an easy play, but one an ELITE player makes.

Do I think BM will eventually get there? I hope, but even if they doesn't reach those two guys' status, if he can reach the Rodney Harrison status, I'd be ecstatic.

Harrison was as good a player as Reed and Polamalu, in my opinion. He was one of the best inspirational defenders in history.

We're also seem to be forgetting Kerry Rhodes, and Reggue Nelson in Jax is having a similar type start to Meriweather.

I think we can agree that if Mariweather did not jump airborne to deflect the Pass from Flacco to Mason (I think it was Mason) who was on his knees inside of the 10 waiting for the pass late in the game,we would have probably lost the game.

Harrison was as good a player as Reed and Polamalu, in my opinion. He was one of the best inspirational defenders in history.

I respectfully disagree. I love Harrison, he's one of my all time favorite Patriot, but IMO I don't believe he was ever in the same level as Ed and Troy who I think both belong in the GOAT Safety discussions.

Best safety ever in NFL history and will probably always be my first pick in mention is Ronnie Lott...I don't think I will ever see a better Safety in my lifetime.

IMO Reed is nowhere near what Lott brought to the league back then.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. I love Harrison, he's one of my all time favorite Patriot, but IMO I don't believe he was ever in the same level as Ed and Troy who I think both belong in the GOAT Safety discussions.

I agree with this. Reed and Polamalu to me are the best safeties since Ronnie Lott.

I'm very happy with how Merriweather is progressing. I think he is playing at a pro bowl level right now. I'd be thrilled to see him play at this level consistently week in and week out for the remainder of the season, without trying to compare him to the all time greats.

We're also seem to be forgetting Kerry Rhodes, and Reggue Nelson in Jax is having a similar type start to Meriweather.

nelson is overrated..he was ready to be benched. find out more by watching him or ask jaguar fans but he was a playmaker but misses a lot of tackles and is always out of position. just saying Meriweather > Nelson easily

I agree with this. Reed and Polamalu to me are the best safeties since Ronnie Lott.

I'm very happy with how Merriweather is progressing. I think he is playing at a pro bowl level right now. I'd be thrilled to see him play at this level consistently week in and week out for the remainder of the season, without trying to compare him to the all time greats.

John Lynch deserves mention in the era between Reed and Lott...of course Harrison as well

Louis Delmas from the Lions could be DROY from what I have seen of him so far.

Er, yeah, I wasn't referring to pure talent. I think Harrison was (at least) as good a leader as those two.

Louis Delmas from the Lions could be DROY from what I have seen of him so far.

He was defensive rookie of the month in September. One of my binkies last April. I thought he would be spectacular along with Meriweather. But from what I've seen, McGowan is providing much the same kind of speed and aggressiveness.

Best safety ever in NFL history and will probably always be my first pick in mention is Ronnie Lott...I don't think I will ever see a better Safety in my lifetime.

IMO Reed is nowhere near what Lott brought to the league back then.

I agree that Lott is probably the GOAT Safety. Awesome combination of pass and run defense. I think Polamalu is the closest as far as overall play. Ed Reed to me is just a freak. Kinda like Deon Sanders was a freak of a CB.

Meriwaether is playing better and better each week. Once Mayo gets back and the defense can get back to 100% I think that you are going to see more of Meriweather coming on the blitz. His break up of the pass in the endzone was great, and he was about 1/100th of a second too late (for a pick 6) when he broke up that critical play on the sidelines in the 4th quarter.

Does anyone else think that McGowen might hhave delodged the ball from Clayton on that last play? I keep seeing the replays, and keep seeing the absolute shot that McGowen lays on Clayton, I'm sure seeing that coming, aided in him not catching that ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back