Welcome to PatsFans.com

Brandon Meriweather is now an elite safety

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I have been more impressed with Brandon's performance in the first 4 games than any other Patriots player on the field.

He is responsible for at least 2 stops on Ravens drives that could have resulted in TDs or at least FGs and has made big plays in the other 2 wins this season.

The way he is running around the field with his superb speed and making plays out of nowhere reminds me of another Elite Safety in the NFL - Troy Polamalu

I think we can safely say that Brandon Meriweather has graduated into Elite Status as an NFL Safety and when it comes to mentioning great Safeties in 2009 - Ed Reed,Troy Polamalu,Michael Griffin come to mind as well as rookie Louis Delmas but add to this list Brandon because he deserves to be there.

I think we can say that Rodney played a big part of his maturing process
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

I cant diagree with anything you said. His play has been steller and you can tell he truly believes he is a leader and captain.
  3. QB12

QB12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I agree fully. "Hot Rod" Rodney Harrison has taught him well. Even Simms and Nantz talked about that during yesterday's telecast.

Simms commented how much faster the Patriots defensive backfield looks now compared to last year. He was surprised, to say the least.

QB12
  4. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think Brandon has raised his game considerably - I think Rodney challenged him and I would have loved to hear the talk he gave Brandon on his way out (I know we heard some of it on the field that night they did the all time team at half).

However, Reed and Polamalu are the best in the game - HOF type of players. Brandon's not there yet, but I sure hope he's on his way.
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

He was Polamalu-esque yesterday, flying around the field and always around the ball. Really exciting to see.
  6. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Completely agree 100% with this post. Merweather has definitely stepped it up this year and is a VERY good saftely, but theres no way that he can be put in the same class as Reed and Polamalu at this point in his career.
  7. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Meriweather is one of my favorites, but let's be real. He doesn't even have an interception yet this year. He will be an elite safety, IMO, but isn't there yet.
  8. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 0 / -1

He has raised his game considerably and is playing at a pro bowl level right now. I'm not sure I would put him in the Polamalu/Reed class until I see him sustain it for at least one season, if not more. Those guys have done it consistently for years. But he has been huge for us, no doubt about it.
  9. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

Here's what impresses me most about Meriweather: he doesn't have elite speed. Physically, he's pretty ordinary. He's been giving the illusion of speed and making those plays out of nowhere by diagnosing situations and reacting brilliantly. He's the perfect illustration of the principle that the best way to get someplace fast is to make sure all of your steps are in the right direction.
  10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -5

Not quite the same thing, but this is like Rodney's statement that sometimes "4.6 guys turn into 4.3 guys"—brains + good speed > great speed + pudding. :)
  11. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

He's good, but that's about it. He'll get better.

Let's stop being such homers here.
  12. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Putting my favorite team aside,if I was not a fan of any team I would put Meriweather 3rd behind Reed and Polamalu at this time.

Its baby steps for Brandon to climb to the top but he is taking big leaps every game
  13. Nonentity

Nonentity Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Agreed. He's playing well and if he was in the NFC, we'd think about putting him in the Pro Bowl already. But the AFC has both Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, both are All-Pros who are edging towards the HOF. Four safeties get to go to the Pro Bowl so that leaves Meriweather with two possible spots - and he's on his way.

But Pro Bowls need stats, the only safeties your average fan really knows are Reed and Polamalu. He needs to make turnovers - INTs, sacks, forced fumbles, it doesn't matter which.

He's proven in these four weeks that he's good enough. Now he needs to do it consistently, and they will come.
  14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,100 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

BM is a beast of a football player, but you can't mention him in the same sentence as Ed Reed quite yet. BM is one of the better safeties in the game today while Ed Reed is one of the best safeties of all time.
  15. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 5 / -1

Meriweather has risen his game this season, but he isn't an elite safety. Teams don't gameplan around him like they do with Ed Reed or Polumalu (or Rodney, Dawkins, or Lynch before them). I don't even know if he is a great safety at this point. He is a good safety who might be considered great by the end of the season, but I don't think he is any more yet.

BTW, all you had to do is watch Polumalu before he was injured this year to see an elite safety and Meriweather is nowhere near there yet. Heck, last week it was McGowen getting all the love on this board, not Meriweather.
  16. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Meriweather doesnt have elite speed? Well he runs in the 4.4s which is very good speed but game speed is elite. If you watch him..hes moving faster than anyone else out there
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -8

He's good. Eugene Wilson was good. For a minute anyway.

He's not elite yet... a few more standout games and it may be kosher to think of him that way.

Someone mentioned the names Palomaulu and Reed... come on. Don't say them in the same breath, at least, not now. He had a good game, and no major lapses in previous games.

Give it time.
  18. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brandon Meriweather has played 3 good games and 1 exceptional game this year for the Pats in 2009. Let's not go overboard here by crowning him has the 3rd best safety in the NFL:)
  19. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He's not elite yet. However, he's on his way.
  20. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whether or not he is elite is not really important to me, only his impact on D is really meaningful.

Case in point: Mason has 6 catches for 77 yards on the first drive, then for the rest of the game he gets 1 rec. for 11 yards.

What happened?

Simply, the D went to split safety coverage which allowed CB's to play tight against receivers. This is the kind of trust BB has in Meriweather to handle Mason over the top in his half of the field.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.