PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon McGowan

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been noted, though McGowan looked great for a while, he mustn't have been doing something right because he was benched in favor of Sanders and the D backfield play improved tremendously.

Just assuming, but you can look great freelancing and that's not going to impress BB at all.

So, there's speculation Merriweather will be dealt and Rappaport brings up Dowling as a possible safety.

Might not happen, but if it does, you know where you read it...:yeahthat:

While it may indeed turn out to be accurate, as of this moment nobody besides Rapoport is stating this to be fact. Rapoport has a history of being the first to break news but he has had incorrect information on occasion.

Not that the Pats decision on McGowan is that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to see a separate source before considering this to be a fact, in my opinion.

Wasn't there an incident in 2009 after the disgraceful loss in Miami, during which McGowan
& at least 1 other Pat were seen laughing on their way to the lockers, or to the team bus?

That loss, plus the loss in Indy (the 4th/2 game) still boils my bottom.

Last edited:
Wasn't there an incident in 2009 after the disgraceful loss in Miami, during which McGowan
& at least 1 other Pat were seen laughing on their way to the lockers, or to the team bus?

That loss, plus the loss in Indy (the 4th/2 game) still boils my bottom.

I believe it was Springs who you are thinking of--but I thought that he and McGowan were laughing in response to the AD interview about AD's being late due to the snow etc.

It sounded like it was more AD's fault than Springs and McGowan's, but who really knows?

I will say that I liked him, and that I am slightly disappointed that we lost both Page and McGowan.

So, there's speculation Merriweather will be dealt and Rappaport brings up Dowling as a possible safety.

Might not happen, but if it does, you know where you read it...:yeahthat:

I was wondering if the Pats would let the gun incident just slide. It seems that way as things have been very quiet. Even Merri has been like a mouse flying under the radar.

If he goes, Asta Lavista, Knucklehead.

Wilson in Arizona may be serously hurt, so trading for one of the Pats safties could be an option for them.

Trade Merriweather for a 3rdh and a 7th, something like that. I can live with Chung and Sanders, who was that guy they stashed on IR last year, where is he????

I'm not saying you don't release a guy because you hope he develops but...

That leaves us with a hole at FS. Are we so sure Merriweather is worse off than Sanders? I can't see that. Man...A first round pick being cut by BB, when does this happen? What a fail if so. Again I'm not saying you don't release him for these reasons. Just thinking about it all is so dissapointing.

The Meriweather move, if it happens, isn't about Sanders. He can play. It's about the third and fourth safeties behind Chung and Sanders, which could be any of Sergio Brown, Ras-I Dowling, and Bret Lockett currently. If the Pats believe they can play, maybe this deal happens.

But consider this: Meriweather is a multiple Pro Bowl safety playing in the last year of his contract. If the Pats let him walk next year, he'll probably get the kind of contract that would net them a 4th or perhaps a 3rd round comp pick. Why would the Pats trade him now, for a 3rd and a 7th, when he's in the last year of a cheap rookie contract?

Not only would the Pats have to believe at least one of Sergio Brown or Bret Lockett was capable of being a safety in this league, they'd have to get higher compensation then most are predicting: a very high 3rd at the least, or more likely a 2nd round selection. Otherwise there's no value there, unless Meriweather is becoming a discipline issue.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you don't release a guy because you hope he develops but...

That leaves us with a hole at FS. Are we so sure Merriweather is worse off than Sanders? I can't see that. Man...A first round pick being cut by BB, when does this happen? What a fail if so. Again I'm not saying you don't release him for these reasons. Just thinking about it all is so dissapointing.

I agree, very disappointing if true--no doubt.

However, BB wouldn't 'cut' him. There would be obvious trade compensation, just like the recent 1st round bust of Maroney. If we can get a 4th for Maroney, we can certainly get something for a guy who just went to the probowl last yr.

That all said, I agree with your outlook that we should probably just keep him one last yr. We'd still get a pretty high comp pick when he left for FA next yr, and he'd be here on the last yr of his rookie deal.

I was wondering if the Pats would let the gun incident just slide. It seems that way as things have been very quiet. Even Merri has been like a mouse flying under the radar.

If he goes, Asta Lavista, Knucklehead.

You mean the gun incident that didn't actually happen, right?

The Meriweather move, if it happens, isn't about Sanders. He can play. It's about the third and fourth safeties behind Chung and Sanders, which could be any of Sergio Brown, Ras-I Dowling, and Bret Lockett currently. If the Pats believe they can play, maybe this deal happens.

But consider this: Meriweather is a multiple Pro Bowl safety playing in the last year of his contract. If the Pats let him walk next year, he'll probably get the kind of contract that would net them a 4th or perhaps a 3rd round comp pick. Why would the Pats trade him now, for a 3rd and a 7th, when he's in the last year of a cheap rookie contract?

Not only would the Pats have to believe at least one of Sergio Brown or Bret Lockett was capable of being a safety in this league, they'd have to get higher compensation then most are predicting: a very high 3rd at the least, or more likely a 2nd round selection. Otherwise there's no value there, unless Meriweather is becoming a discipline issue.

If BB wanted to cut Merriweather, he wouldn't have played 75% of the snaps last year. Other than one game, he received a consistent high level of playing time throughout the season. BB clearly thinks hes one of the better safeties on the team.

you guys can all disagree with BB, but your opinion doesn't really mean anything.

You mean the gun incident that didn't actually happen, right?

No, the gun incident where Meri was involved but the eye witnesses suddenly were afflicted with a condition known as "selective amnesia."

he might be but Sanders is the one safety who i want out there in crunch time

What?
Did you not watch the Jets playoff game? Biggest play of the game Cotchery. Who was 20 yards deep? Look at the tape. See that little dot?
I appreciate your opinion but do not agree or buy that one bit.
How did that crunch time work for you?
DW Toys

Sad to see one of the few NFL 'Black Bears' get cut. Never forget the hit he made on the Jets during the opening kickoff in the 2nd half. I could hear it up in my red seat.

Last edited:
FS are a little different and built closer to CB
SS are closer to LB. Our SS weight as much as 4-3 LB.....

so i am always confused when both are mixed. Merriweather has range which chung and sanders do not.

Mcgowan had 4 good games and i am sure Sanders had more than 4 good games so its a toss up. His injury bug did not start in 09 but with the bears, where missed a tonne of games too.No idea how a guy who plays so little and always injured from the day he was drafted is better than any guys has played more and are effective and not bagging grocery.

FS are a little different and built closer to CB
SS are closer to LB. Our SS weight as much as 4-3 LB.....

so i am always confused when both are mixed. Merriweather has range which chung and sanders do not.

Mcgowan had 4 good games and i am sure Sanders had more than 4 good games so its a toss up. His injury bug did not start in 09 but with the bears, where missed a tonne of games too.No idea how a guy who plays so little and always injured from the day he was drafted is better than any guys has played more and are effective and not bagging grocery.

FWIW--McGowan had quite a lot more than "4 good games."

He was voted by almost ALL here as the "first half of the '09 season defensive MVP" in a thread that a ton of posters participated in.

The opening kickoff of the 2nd half vs. the NYJ where he caused the fumble that Patsnutme talks of in the post ahead of yours, was actually even in the SECOND half of the season; where we all thought he had regressed tremendously. It's true that he did not play as well, and even poorly at times in the second half of the 2009 season, but he set a pretty high bar in the first half at times. In the first 8 games or so, he was quite a pleasant surprise. But that was then, this is now--so it's pretty much irrelevant.

The 2010 season he was hurt, so no one could tell one way or another due to the injury.

Personally, I diasgree with the cut, as I still think that he provided us good depth at the position--but I also don't disagree with BB decisions too often, as he always knows best (or at least a lot better than myself).

Last edited:
No, the gun incident where Meri was involved but the eye witnesses suddenly were afflicted with a condition known as "selective amnesia."

Thats the same gun incident where the witnesses lawyer came out the day afterward and said "We're not even sure he was there"...

Right? The one that it was later found out he wasn't even in the same state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back