PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon McGowan: A Difference Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember at half time of the last preseason game Burton interviewed BB and asked if the second half would be a chance for bubble players like McGowan and Watson to win a job and BB replied something like well I wouldn't call those guys bubble players but yes there is still a chance for players to earn their spots.

I thought it was telling of what he thought about McGowan and Watson.

McGowan had some good college coaching at Maine--Jack Cosgrove. He's produced some quality players as evidenced by the fact that there are now seven former Black Bears in the NFL. As I mentioned in a McGowan thread a couple of weeks ago--that's an all-time high for Maine.

Cosgrove was OL coach at the same time Maine had another quality head coach--Kirk Ferentz--and took over the reins from him in '93.

wow.........good info.I never realized that about Maine....................and Kirk Ferentz is a BB confidant.

McGowan had some good college coaching at Maine--Jack Cosgrove. He's produced some quality players as evidenced by the fact that there are now seven former Black Bears in the NFL. As I mentioned in a McGowan thread a couple of weeks ago--that's an all-time high for Maine.

Cosgrove was OL coach at the same time Maine had another quality head coach--Kirk Ferentz--and took over the reins from him in '93.

That's right. I was happy to aquire him.
I'm glad we have McGowan on our team even though we have a deep secondary. We could use his help. He's a big physical safety that can cover the TE's and move up in the box. I want AD to pass rush more!

He did a great job in the game and I like the fact that our team is using all the guys (rotating) in matchups-. He might prove to be the BJGE in the D secondary

The media is starting to notice McGowan, too. This today from Matt Sohn at ProFootballWeekly:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots? DB revival keyed by revelatory safety

"Add Brandon McGowan to the list of disposed veterans who have flourished under Bill Belichick's tutelage in Foxborough. The 26-year-old safety was a late addition to the Patriots following four middling seasons in Chicago, and it didn't take long for Belichick to tap into McGowan's toughness and ability to cover tight ends downfield. Although not the fleetest afoot, he was instrumental in shutting down Tony Gonzalez in Week Three and has done an enviable job in infusing the secondary with the blue-collar physicality it lost when Rodney Harrison retired. But McGowan's insertion into the lineup over James Sanders is only one aspect of New England's revival in the defensive backfield. After taking its share of pass-defending lumps in 2008, the secondary's rock-solid look has served as a foil to the uncertainty in the Pats' front seven. CB Leigh Bodden has played well, and fellow veteran newcomer Shawn Springs' seamless shuffling between corner and safety has been a boon."

The media is starting to notice McGowan, too. This today from Matt Sohn at ProFootballWeekly:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots? DB revival keyed by revelatory safety

"Add Brandon McGowan to the list of disposed veterans who have flourished under Bill Belichick's tutelage in Foxborough. The 26-year-old safety was a late addition to the Patriots following four middling seasons in Chicago, and it didn't take long for Belichick to tap into McGowan's toughness and ability to cover tight ends downfield. Although not the fleetest afoot, he was instrumental in shutting down Tony Gonzalez in Week Three and has done an enviable job in infusing the secondary with the blue-collar physicality it lost when Rodney Harrison retired. But McGowan's insertion into the lineup over James Sanders is only one aspect of New England's revival in the defensive backfield. After taking its share of pass-defending lumps in 2008, the secondary's rock-solid look has served as a foil to the uncertainty in the Pats' front seven. CB Leigh Bodden has played well, and fellow veteran newcomer Shawn Springs' seamless shuffling between corner and safety has been a boon."

It's not like hes Matt Light running back there....Here is his scouting report. Regardless, hes playing well.

MAINE senior safety BRANDON MCGOWAN ran between 4.45 and 4.48 in the 40... 4.24 short shuttle... 7.42 three-cone... 37.5" vertical... 10'4" broad jump... also did 21 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 5107, 216 pounds... they had several senior prospects, but this was the one guy that stood out consistently on game film... ran faster than anticipated... showed good all-around athleticism in the workout and positional drills... all times were recorded on an outdoor turf surface.

Given how McGowan did covering Gonzalez today, I can see Todd Heap in his future next week ... and possibly Dallas Clark in the near future. Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually stop opposing TEs from killing us all the time? It may be too much to hope for, but it's nice to dream.

Agreed. I'm hoping we see better utilization of his skills in this regard next time they play the Jets. Keller's TD was very aggravating to watch because it really seems that he's the one who steps up to kill the Patriots in crucial situations and the zone coverage just let him settle into the end zone with some good space around him.

Also, McGowan's been moderately injury prone during his career; it'd be awesome to see him stick around for a playoff run this winter. Hard hitting safeties always seem to shine that time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes