PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon McGowan: A Difference Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what Belichick wanted. He tried to do this with Tank Williams before he got hurt but basically a Safety/LB hybrid who can matchup in coverages and tackle well as well as blitz...not just an "in the box safety" but a hybrid

no doubt tank williams lost his roster spot to mcgowan who was going to play the same role

Don't you need two in case of an injury?

Don't you need two in case of an injury?

No......we're actually loaded with safeties:Meriweather,Sanders,McGowan,Chung and Springs(he has played some safety).................add to that Darius Butler,can......and.......gulp....Matthew Slater.

i had no idea who this guy was, and it took me a few quarters to remember his #, but dude was always around the ball. i got good feelings today watching some bend-dont-break-ish D and a fired up Tommy

The guy hits, sticks his hat in there, and makes things happen. Turner wasn't the same after getting blown up by McGowan. Plus, the hit caused the fumble. Don't forget also on the Ryan - fumble - pass - recovered for a TD - challenged -reversed, McGowan got a good hat on Ryan.

The more McGowan is around the ball, the better for the surprisingly good Pats D.

QB12

completely agree - McGowan was indeed the difference-maker. unbelievable play all day. the unsung hero -

at first i was upset he was starting over js, but wow it was for a reason

i had no idea who this guy was, and it took me a few quarters to remember his #, but dude was always around the ball. i got good feelings today watching some bend-dont-break-ish D and a fired up Tommy

don't know mcgowan??? come on son -

go home

No......we're actually loaded with safeties:Meriweather,Sanders,McGowan,Chung and Springs(he has played some safety).................add to that Darius Butler,can......and.......gulp....Matthew Slater.

the day slater plays safety is the day i stop caring about football - he is NOT a safety

McGowan was not starting over James Sanders.
starters:

DEFENSE (3-4)
DE: Jarvis Green
DT: Vince Wilfork
DE: Ty Warren
ILB: Adalius Thomas
ILB: Gary Guyton
OLB: Derrick Burgess
OLB: Tully Banta-Cain
CB: Shawn Springs
CB: Leigh Bodden
FS: Brandon McGowan
SS: Brandon Meriweather

^from the extra point blog

McGowan was not starting over James Sanders.

Defensive starters: per Reiss:

12:35 p.m.
Brandon McGowan warming up at first-team safety over James Sanders.

1:17 p.m. per the Globe
DEFENSE (3-4)

you tell me?

at least now i know to disregard your opinion on everything.

Defensive starters: per Reiss:

12:35 p.m.
Brandon McGowan warming up at first-team safety over James Sanders.

1:17 p.m. per the Globe
DEFENSE (3-4)

you tell me?

at least now i know to disregard your opinion on everything.

I stand corrected. I missed the beginning of the game.

That doesn't make your woefully uninformed opinion of Bodden any more valid. Sorry.

the day slater plays safety is the day i stop caring about football - he is NOT a safety

It doesn't matter whether you or I think he can PLAY safety.......he is a safety.....that was his position in college and he was put in a FS last year in a game.So,get over it.........he's at the bottom of any depth chart,but he IS a safety.

Given how McGowan did covering Gonzalez today, I can see Todd Heap in his future next week ... and possibly Dallas Clark in the near future. Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually stop opposing TEs from killing us all the time? It may be too much to hope for, but it's nice to dream.

Given how McGowan did covering Gonzalez today, I can see Todd Heap in his future next week ... and possibly Dallas Clark in the near future. Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually stop opposing TEs from killing us all the time? It may be too much to hope for, but it's nice to dream.

Rodney shut them down in 2007 before injuries and all. remember witten among many TEs that Harrison matched up against and won the battle most of the weeks but agreed..nice to have some of that back

I started a thread after the Bills game about McGowan being the practice player of the week, etc--wanted others' input about what they thought.

I figured he'd be the 1st off the bench in case of injury, but was surprised when he got as many snaps in the first game. I think many assumed Chung was our first backup because of his high draft status, but he will be blended in throughout the yr much like Meriweather's first yr. Needless to say, I was quite happy when hearing this AM that he would start.

He's been my TC/pre-season binky from the start, I am glad to see him getting the attn and respect he has earned. Although I am still kind of shocked how many had him written off as a cut, or bubble player at best. I sort of assumed that Belichick had plans for him, as he does like a player who is versatile (ST etc) and who can tackle well.

Great job by the front office, hope he continues to learn the system and excel.

Last edited:
Hey, if Chung can use this year to learn because there are three healthy guys playing better in front of him, that'd be fantastic. That sort of goes for all our second rounders (except it may be that Pryor is the one in front of Brace!).

Go McGowan Go! I will definitely be focusing on him while re-watching this one.

He is everything Sanders is not and I am glad he is staring. He is good instinct, hard hitting and always around the ball thats a huge step up from the invisible man.

McGowan had some good college coaching at Maine--Jack Cosgrove. He's produced some quality players as evidenced by the fact that there are now seven former Black Bears in the NFL. As I mentioned in a McGowan thread a couple of weeks ago--that's an all-time high for Maine.

Cosgrove was OL coach at the same time Maine had another quality head coach--Kirk Ferentz--and took over the reins from him in '93.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes