PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon McGowan: A Difference Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The guy hits, sticks his hat in there, and makes things happen. Turner wasn't the same after getting blown up by McGowan. Plus, the hit caused the fumble. Don't forget also on the Ryan - fumble - pass - recovered for a TD - challenged -reversed, McGowan got a good hat on Ryan.

The more McGowan is around the ball, the better for the surprisingly good Pats D.

QB12

On Mike Reiss' new blog, he has an article about how McGowan shut down Tony Gonzalez all game (with double team help as well).

I'll telling you, everything about him reminds of Lawyer Milloy. From the body type, to the playing style, to the toughness, to the lack of speed. EVERYTHING. He's a huge pickup. Having him on the field together with Sanders and Meriweather seems to be effective in slowing down the other team's tight end, which used to kill us.

this is what Belichick wanted. He tried to do this with Tank Williams before he got hurt but basically a Safety/LB hybrid who can matchup in coverages and tackle well as well as blitz...not just an "in the box safety" but a hybrid

no doubt tank williams lost his roster spot to mcgowan who was going to play the same role

What a great pickup. And to think at the beginning of TC I thought he had no hope of making this roster!

The Patriots' FO clearly hit home runs with the additions of Bodden and McGowan.

He might be the one to bring a defining character to our defense. We had Bryan Cox before, then Rodney Harrison, now it might be McGowan who brings the toughness and attitude(well hopefully some).

He can deliver a hit.

this is what Belichick wanted. He tried to do this with Tank Williams before he got hurt but basically a Safety/LB hybrid who can matchup in coverages and tackle well as well as blitz...not just an "in the box safety" but a hybrid

no doubt tank williams lost his roster spot to mcgowan who was going to play the same role

Amen. Nice to see someone paying attention 'round here.

He is good... I think he always was - he just ran into some injury problems.

Maybe he is doing what Pat "don't call me Connie" Chung was predicted to be doing (all joking aside, I'm sure the 2nd rounder will contribute before long). He's definately the #3 safety and in the modern game, more often than not that means semi-starter status.

A forced fumble, great run support, and smothering Gonzales most of the game? Yow, I'd say McGowan made a BIG difference today.

Meriweather played well also.

Last edited:
The whole defense had been solid the first 3 games and will only get better. This is a bright spot as the defense has not been as good the last few years with some older players.

I believe he had one or two forced fumbles in the preseason. The man knows how to force fumbles.

On Mike Reiss' new blog, he has an article about how McGowan shut down Tony Gonzalez all game (with double team help as well).

I had suggested during the week that McGowan might be one of the guys we could see assigned to shadow Gonzalez, along with AD and Shawn Springs.

What a nice find. Not a Rodney Harrison once in a lifetime kind of situation, obviously, but a really solid addition to the safety corps. Once Chung develops, we should have 4 starting caliber safeties on our roster. Not many teams can boast that kind of depth.

Kudos to WEEI's Dale Arnold, who, on the station's Pre-Game Radio program predicted a Pats victory to be keyed by his impact Player of the Day: Brandon McGowan. Fellow panelist Christian Furia will have to eat crow for his giddy pre-game prediction that Pats would be crushed not only today, but also next week v. Ravens.

The Patriots' FO clearly hit home runs with the additions of Bodden and McGowan.

Absolutely agree with this.

McGowan is not afraid to make the hard tackles.

I had suggested during the week that McGowan might be one of the guys we could see assigned to shadow Gonzalez, along with AD and Shawn Springs.

That was a good call. I thought they were going to do a cover 3 with motion down for Gonzalez, but they ended up having McGowan shadow him in bracket coverage.

Big kudos to the D for holding him to just one catch.

I didn't think much about the guy when the Pats signed him, but he has been a very pleasant surprise.

McGowan and Merriweather could be a nasty tandem this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes