PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Marshall to the Jets

But if we are talking longer term we need to know what Decker's cap hits are going forward.

I don't think Marshall is a horrible move, but seem to be going for big named shorter term solutions (Marshall and Revis) when they might be better suited for going for guys they can build with like Randall Cobb (who will be far more expensive) and Byron Maxwell (just examples of young up and coming players at the same positions hitting free agents and not talking similar talents).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/eric-decker/

Pretty standard contract, not especially backloaded. Decker's cap hits are going up, but so is market rate for a #2 WR when the cap keeps going up at this rate. He'll probably be overpaid by the end of the deal, but not grossly so. I'm not a big fan of Decker, and I think he was a classic "overpaying for a #2 WR in an elite offense" scenario, but this contract doesn't totally offend me. The expanding cap will bail the Jets out on this one.

So is your opinion that Hoyer turns this Jets team into a playoff team? Because that's all I'm fighting against here.

No. One player doesn't make the Jets a playoff team, unless it's an elite QB, and Brady/Rodgers/Luck are all staying put. My opinion is that the Jets have a huge amount of cap space, and a fair number of quality players already in place. My opinion is that Geno Smith is dog **** when you aren't playing scared against him, and my opinion is that any upgrade at the QB position has the potential to make a huge impact on that offense, for the better.

My opinion is that Patsfans.com is in its annual "Every non-Patriots player in the NFL, with about 5 exceptions, is crap until the Patriots show interest in them, which is when they magically morph into all-pros" phase, and you seem to be caught up in that nonsense.

Or, to put it another way...

Patsfans.com during the offseason - Where Brandon Marshall for just a 5th rounder is an awful 'get', but Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones are the answer to a team's WR problems.

Last edited:
No it's not. Pats are a 14-2, 13-3, 12-4 team. Those teams aren't.
I agree that we are better, and still very possible to obtain said records this year. But I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 AFC east(Bills and Dolphins) on a serious wild card chase

No. One player doesn't make the Jets a playoff team, unless it's an elite QB, and Brady/Rodgers/Luck are all staying put. My opinion is that the Jets have a huge amount of cap space, and a fair number of quality players already in place. My opinion is that Geno Smith is dog **** when you aren't playing scared against him, and my opinion is that any upgrade at the QB position has the potential to make a huge impact on that offense, for the better.

My opinion is that Patsfans.com is in its annual "Every non-Patriots player in the NFL, with about 5 exceptions, is crap until the Patriots show interest in them, which is when they magically morph into all-pros" phase, and you seem to be caught up in that nonsense.

Those are fair opinions, worded as such. I may have misinterpreted somewhat, so for that portion I apologize.

I will take exception to your last line though. I've never wanted Marshall. I think he's a head case and a me first guy, and I don't value big ticket WR's as much as you do (and I believe we've argued that point before, so I won't go into it again). So to say I'm being caught up in nonsense because I won't praise a move I don't think is a good one is a little unfair. I'm not disparaging Marshall or Hoyer because they're not Pats. I'm disparaging them because I believe Marshall is overrated and Hoyer is backup at best. There are absolutely people who do what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to lump me in with them simply because we have differing opinions.

I truly feel a tougher division will only make us more battle tested when the playoffs come around. None of our division games last year were cake walks and we didn't peak too early. The year ended in a super bowl victory.

I hope they keep Harvin so with him and Marshall the whole team will implode

Those are fair opinions, worded as such. I may have misinterpreted somewhat, so for that portion I apologize.

I will take exception to your last line though. I've never wanted Marshall. I think he's a head case and a me first guy, and I don't value big ticket WR's as much as you do (and I believe we've argued that point before, so I won't go into it again). So to say I'm being caught up in nonsense because I won't praise a move I don't think is a good one is a little unfair. I'm not disparaging Marshall or Hoyer because they're not Pats. I'm disparaging them because I believe Marshall is overrated and Hoyer is backup at best. There are absolutely people who do what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to lump me in with them simply because we have differing opinions.

They got him for a 5th round pick. Let me repeat that:

They got Brandon Marshall, a player who's had 7 1,000 yard seasons in his 9 year career, for a 5th round pick.

The Jets just gave David Harris a 3 year $21.5 million deal (first two years are fully guaranteed at $15 million). I don't get their philosophy this offseason. Re-sign their older LB, trade for an older WR, and getting ready to sell the farm to get a CB who is about to turn 30. They should be adding young talent and they look to be getting older.

Don't forget they re-upped with Calvin Pace too although he could be cut if they find a replacement.

They got him for a 5th round pick. Let me repeat that:

They got Brandon Marshall, a player who's had 7 1,000 yard seasons in his 9 year career, for a 5th round pick.

That's fine. I still don't like the player. They could have signed as a free agent for veteran minimum and I still wouldn't be that worried about it. I'm sure he'll contribute. I just don't like him, and I'm allowed to have that opinion for reasons other than homerism.

I was just reminded that Chan Gailey will be calling the Jets' offense. Who cares who they have at WR?

Patsfans.com during the offseason - Where Brandon Marshall for just a 5th rounder is an awful 'get', but Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones are the answer to a team's WR problems.

The best illustration of this was when people crapped on Clay Matthews and said he wouldn't start for the Patriots defense when we had Tully Banta-Cain and Pierre Woods as our starters.

"Fan" is short for fanatic after all.

I don't care how people are trying to spin this, getting Marshall for a 5th round pick is a great trade. Thankfully, the Jets still lack a QB and CBs to really make a difference.

The best illustration of this was when people crapped on Clay Matthews and said he wouldn't start for the Patriots defense when we had Tully Banta-Cain and Pierre Woods as our starters.

"Fan" is short for fanatic after all.

I don't care how people are trying to spin this, getting Marshall for a 5th round pick is a great trade. Thankfully, the Jets still lack a QB and CBs to really make a difference.

Yeah, it's ridiculous for people to argue that it's not a good move, when it means they can get rid of Harvin. Obvious reality:

Keeping Harvin costs $10m and a 4th round pick
Trading for Marshall and ditching Harvin costs $7.5m and a 5th and 6th.

Could the move bomb? Sure, but it's a move to 'fix'/improve what the last GM did, while still keeping a competitive WR group.

Yeah, it's ridiculous for people to argue that it's not a good move, when it means they can get rid of Harvin. Obvious reality:

Keeping Harvin costs $10m and a 4th round pick
Trading for Marshall and ditching Harvin costs $7.5m and a 5th and 6th.

Could the move bomb? Sure, but it's a move to 'fix'/improve what the last GM did, while still keeping a competitive WR group.

I agree it is a low risk (5th round pick) for potentially high reward, Marshall's talent. Problem is no one knows which Marshall shows up, the talented one or the head case problem one.

What!!! -
Sticking with Geno and not drafting Winston or Mariota

brandon-marshall.jpg

.....or to put another way, Deus Irae is in his annual "I'm going to be the angry old uncle of Patsfans.com and try to out-Borges Borges" phase.

All Sicilian was saying is that Brian Hoyer should scare no one. In his OWN WORDS he stated that "Because that's all I'm fighting against here."

Your act is tired.

.....or to put another way, Deus Irae is in his annual "I'm going to be the angry old uncle of Patsfans.com and try to out-Borges Borges" phase.

All Sicilian was saying is that Brian Hoyer should scare no one. In his OWN WORDS he stated that "Because that's all I'm fighting against here."

Your act is tired.

... and your trolling is pathetic. Move along.

The Jets just gave David Harris a 3 year $21.5 million deal (first two years are fully guaranteed at $15 million). I don't get their philosophy this offseason. Re-sign their older LB, trade for an older WR, and getting ready to sell the farm to get a CB who is about to turn 30. They should be adding young talent and they look to be getting older.

Don't forget they re-upped with Calvin Pace too although he could be cut if they find a replacement.

Meanwhile the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 2nd youngest team to do so in NFL history.

Good player, but ultimately an inconsequential move from our point of view.
I agree until they get a QB. Do you think they are targeting Mariota in the draft and could he even help them this year? My feeling on the Jests is they get a QB, throw him in there too soon, mess him up in the head, then get the next guy a few years later.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back