PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Marshall to the Jets

Rotoworld also thinks so also. However, the jets have so much cap room that they don't have to cut Harvin immediately.

I would think that Harvin would be cut soon in order to put another WR into the free agent market, making it a bit easier for the jets to find an additional receiver or two (probably a WR and a TE).

The kill date is the 10th, because of the draft pick issue with Seattle.

This is to several posters: When did Hoyer become a good QB? If the Jets plan to use him as their starter this year, he's an "upgrade" over Smith, which might get them to 5-11 instead of 4-12.

Hoyer was pretty good for the Browns last year for exactly as long as they had a functional ground game. Once they lost Mack the Browns had no ground game, which is especially bad when you also have no better-than-average receivers. It was a worse scenario than the 2013 Pats for offense-outside-of-QB, and we all saw what 2013 did to Brady's production. Situations like that make QBs look a lot worse than they are. I dunno if Hoyer is a starter-caliber QB, jury's still out in my book, but I definitely don't think that 2014 was representative of what he's capable of.

This is to several posters: When did Hoyer become a good QB? If the Jets plan to use him as their starter this year, he's an "upgrade" over Smith, which might get them to 5-11 instead of 4-12.

Even with all the Manziel crap going on, Hoyer had the Browns at 6-4 before Gordon returned and threw the offense completely out of whack.

The people pumping up the AFCE right now seem to want something both ways: They want to assume the Jets defense is going to be good enough to carry Hoyer/Rookie Mariota led offense, despite losing the defensive messiah that is Rex Ryan. But if Ryan didn't make that much of a difference, then why is Buffalo's defense suddenly going to somehow improve from it's top five ranking last year?

The Jets were 4-12 last year. They are not a mediocre or rookie QB away from being a threat to anyone, and swapping Marshall in for Harvin doesn't change that AT ALL.

Even with all the Manziel crap going on, Hoyer had the Browns at 6-4 before Gordon returned and threw the offense completely out of whack.

And Sanchez got a Jets team to 11-5. Gordon is not the reason Hoyer was a below average quarterback last year.

1) How is cutting Harvin and signing Marshall and presumably a slot receiver with savings be a bad deal for the jets?

2) Are the jets really years away if they sign Hoyer (and draft Mariota)?

3) The jets will have $56M after cutting Harvin. Isn't that enough to sign
A) Hoyer
B) a slot receiver
C) 2 top secondary players
D) a top RB
and still have significant money ($20M or so) left over for additional needs?

4) Is it an awful offense to have Hoyer, Marshall, Decker, a free agent WR, a free agent TE and a free agent RB as their core.

5) Is it an awful defense if $25M of FIRST YEAR cap costs are paid on upgrading the defense?

======
Th biggest problem of the jets has been and player evaluation. Perhaps a new GM and coach could change that with $56M in hand.

The Jets are pretty devoid of talent. Their defense sucked last year against the pass in a passing league. They really are a d-line and not much else. And their o-line sucked big time too. I don't like Hoyer behind that line.

They are a good two years away from contending., if not longer. Unless the new Jets brain trust are some kind of geniuses and come out of nowhere like the Seahawks did a few years ago. But it even took them a good year to turn it around. And they hit on almost every draft pick for the first few years.

The people pumping up the AFCE right now seem to want something both ways: They want to assume the Jets defense is going to be good enough to carry Hoyer/Rookie Mariota led offense, despite losing the defensive messiah that is Rex Ryan. But if Ryan didn't make that much of a difference, then why is Buffalo's defense suddenly going to somehow improve from it's top five ranking last year?

The Jets were 4-12 last year. They are not a mediocre or rookie QB away from being a threat to anyone, and swapping Marshall in for Harvin doesn't change that AT ALL.

No one is assuming anything about the jets defense except that using THIRTY to FORTY MILLION of cap space just MIGHT make the defense a bit better.

And Sanchez got a Jets team to 11-5. Gordon is not the reason Hoyer was a below average quarterback last year.

Sanchez had a much better team around him in 2010 than this Jets' team.

6-4 before Gordon's return
1-5 after Gordon's return, and the 1 win was his first game back

It is what it is

This is shaping up as the hardest AFC east in quite some time, specially if Miami gets Suh.

I will be very confident if we do get Revis to stay. If not, I still believe we would be the best aroimd here, but i don't think it would be a cake walk. The biggest problem is that i'd be a bit sad if that indeed happens to occur

6-4 before Gordon's return
1-5 after Gordon's return, and the 1 win was his first game back

It is what it is

Forgive me if I don't trust two sample sizes that small. Plenty of players and teams have decent (and that's all 6-4 is) first halves and lousy second halves of seasons. And if all it takes is one problem receiver to foul Hoyer up, then I'm not sure Marshall and him would be a good fit.

• Winner
Reactions: BSR
I guess we need to see what the Jets give up.

I think the Jets are a long way away from being a contender, but between Marshall (unless they can get them to do a new deal) and Eric Decker (who is getting good #1 WR money), they have a lot of money tied up at the position. They need to rebuild their o-line, LBing corp, and secondary. Plus they need a QB. I would think they are better off going young and filling a lot of needs rather than pay good money to Marshall and overpay for Revis (which is their plan).

It's being reported that it's a 5th round pick. If it's substantially more than that then I'll agree, since I think this is a positive move for the Jets only to the extent that it's extremely low-risk.

As far as what they're being paid, Marshall will have the 18th highest cap hit among WRs this year, while Decker will have the 20th. They're taking ~$16.8M in cap hits for Marshall, Decker and Kerley, while we're taking ~$13.9M in cap hits for Amendola, LaFell and Edelman. It's not an exorbitant amount of money at all, and it's not keeping them from spending money elsewhere given that they'll still have over $40M in cap space if they cut Harvin. If it gets to the point where WR cap hits are a constraint, then they'll always have the option of cutting Marshall with $0 in dead money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom and gloomer here. Anyone who's posting saying that this closes the gap and that the Pats are fools for not trying to spend dollar-for-dollar with a team that sucked last year and has $40M+ in cap space just doesn't know what they're talking about. I still fully expect the Pats to run this division just like they always do, and I hated the McCoy trade for Buffalo.

But I just don't really see where criticism of this move is coming from. I think it makes pretty good sense for them. By mandate, they have to spend a bunch of money this offseason, and it's much better to give a piece of that to a high-upside player with $0 guaranteed than to employ the Dolphins' strategy of throwing a ton of guaranteed money at whoever happens to be a FA when you have cap space.

Last edited:
Thank god Marshall was traded to NYJ so you all can watch this train wreck. Living in Illinois I got a first hand account of all the ******* things this idiot said and did, then he went and had that awful domestic abuse press conference

No one is assuming anything about the jets defense except that using THIRTY to FORTY MILLION of cap space just MIGHT make the defense a bit better.

Since when do the Jets get the benefit of the doubt on using cap space? When I see some serious moves I'll evaluate them based on that. But I maintain that they are not a QB away from being a good team. And if they were, Hoyer would not be that guy.

Forgive me if I don't trust two sample sizes that small. Plenty of players and teams have decent (and that's all 6-4 is) first halves and lousy second halves of seasons. And if all it takes is one problem receiver to foul Hoyer up, then I'm not sure Marshall and him would be a good fit.

You're better than this. I'm putting down this stuff as just a bad day for you.

You're better than this. I'm putting down this stuff as just a bad day for you.

So is your opinion that Hoyer turns this Jets team into a playoff team? Because that's all I'm fighting against here.

It's being reported that it's a 5th round pick. If it's substantially more than that then I'll agree, since I think this is a positive move for the Jets only to the extent that it's extremely low-risk.

As far as what they're being paid, Marshall will have the 18th highest cap hit among WRs this year, while Decker will have the 20th. They're taking ~$16.8M in cap hits for Marshall, Decker and Kerley, while we're taking ~$13.9M in cap hits for Amendola, LaFell and Edelman. It's not an exorbitant amount of money for your at all, and it's not keeping them from spending money elsewhere. If it gets to the point where that's no longer the case, then they'll always have the option of cutting Marshall with $0 in dead money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom and gloomer here. Anyone who's posting saying that this closes the gap and that the Pats are fools for not trying to spend dollar-for-dollar with a team that sucked last year and has $40M+ in cap space just doesn't know what they're talking about. I still fully expect the Pats to run this division just like they always do, and I hated the McCoy trade for Buffalo. But that doesn't mean that the moves that the other teams make can't be sensible from time to time.

But if we are talking longer term we need to know what Decker's cap hits are going forward.

I don't think Marshall is a horrible move, but seem to be going for big named shorter term solutions (Marshall and Revis) when they might be better suited for going for guys they can build with like Randall Cobb (who will be far more expensive) and Byron Maxwell (just examples of young up and coming players at the same positions hitting free agents and not talking similar talents).

This is shaping up as the hardest AFC east in quite some time, specially if Miami gets Suh.

No it's not. Pats are a 14-2, 13-3, 12-4 team. Those teams aren't.

When you are 4-12, everything is a low risk move. What's there to lose?

Cap space on dead money in future years. You're saying that like teams going from 4-12 to playoff contention within 1-2 years is unheard of. We see that happen every year. With the exception of maybe a couple of teams, just about everyone is 2 really good drafts away from contention, at worst.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back