PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd traded to St. Louis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with a receiver like Lloyd, and for that matter Ochocinco, is that this is a very complex offense for a receiver.

Brady has been in it his entire career. Branch is in his sixth year in it. Welker is in his fifth year in it. We have seen a number of receivers join the team who really struggled to pick it up. Moss was effective immediately, but many others could not succeed in it - Ochocinco, Galloway, Doug Gabriel, Andre Davis, etc.

I think the risk with Lloyd is that he would struggle the same as other vets.

Similarly LB is a difficult role in this defense, with the same story. The risk would be similar picking up a linebacker. Whereas I think RB & DE are easier positions in the Pats offense and defense.

The issue with a receiver like Lloyd, and for that matter Ochocinco, is that this is a very complex offense for a receiver.

Brady has been in it his entire career. Branch is in his sixth year in it. Welker is in his fifth year in it. We have seen a number of receivers join the team who really struggled to pick it up. Moss was effective immediately, but many others could not succeed in it - Ochocinco, Galloway, Doug Gabriel, Andre Davis, etc.

I think the risk with Lloyd is that he would struggle the same as other vets.

Similarly LB is a difficult role in this defense, with the same story. The risk would be similar picking up a linebacker. Whereas I think RB & DE are easier positions in the Pats offense and defense.

Lloyd did well in McDaniels' offense, which has some similar principles (option routes) as our offense.

I wouldnt mind having Lloyd on the team, but if anyone is going to take that #3 WR spot, right now you might as well have them come from within the system.

Before getting injured, Julian Edelman shared the #3 WR role with Ochocinco, and now that Taylor Price is coming back from an injury he should start to see increased snaps

:scream:

Why Lloyd why go to St. Louis? WHY?

Lets see, cos Mcdaniels is over there and ran the same system that made him 1,000 yard receiver in previous season. Also, St. Louis is probably only team that likely agreed with his agent to give him the money he wanted. At the very least Lloyd has a solid year in St. Louis and earns a bigger paycheck once he hits free agency. This makes a lot of sense on those two levels.

St. Louis is a team I predicted would draft a WR, because that was such a HUGE need for them. Imagine if they were rolling with AJ Green or Julio Jones right now? Still LLoyd gives them a new #1 and a much more affordable draft compensation (max 5th), although if they want to keep him after the season they will have to pay him big dollars.

LLoyd would have been 'nice' for our team, but he certainly not guaranteed to be a fit and succeed. so Im not all that disappointed he didn't end up here. I wouldnt have minded him, but he's not a guy I'm convinced is a true #1 receiver.

You complained about Tate; they brought in Johnson. Now you're complaining about Johnson.

Look, I'm with you in the sense that I wanted the team to go in a different direction (I wanted the team to go after Titus Young in the draft, and/or a legit middle/deep receiver), although I certainly didn't hate the Johnson deal. At this point, though, we're probably stuck watching either a veteran struggling to grasp the offense, a stiff with lousy hands and no route running skills, or a young player from a non-passing college who missed a lot of last year's learning camps and then had to deal with the lockout this year.

Given the choices, I'm going to hope Johnson keeps working hard and finally has the light go on.

I've been trying to figure out who this is. Slater?

Edit: Edelman?

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out who this is. Slater?

Yes, sir.

P.S., and wildly OT: I've found an ample supply of the Szechuan peppercorns at Kam Man Marketplace in Quincy.

ya, I dont see much from slater....like I said, I hope we begin to see Taylor Price pick up some snaps after the bye...he is big and fast, and I recall in the pre-season looked like a potential deep threat

it doesnt hurt to put him out there for limited snaps and see if he can produce, hes had over a year to learn the offensive plays...some competition at that 3rd WR spot might even push Ocho to perform better. because if he doesnt theres guys waiting in the wings to take his playing time

Last edited:
Slater is a deep threat with questionable hands. He has the speed to beat a defense, but the question is can he hold onto the ball when it gets there?

Taylor Price? What has he ever done. Furthermore, why did we even draft a guy who played college from a non NFL ready offense?

Jerry Rice says Hi.

Slater is a deep threat with questionable hands. He has the speed to beat a defense, but the question is can he hold onto the ball when it gets there?

Sadly, he cannot

Put me in the camp of re-trying Slater at safety. It's not like he has to be that good to give us an upgrade. At least as the 3rd guy.

Man.... I was against trading for him until I saw he could've been had for a 6th (5th on incentives which would obviously be worth it if he contributed). Someone who is proven in the system would at least be a reasonable upgrade at WR3

The Rams needed him much more than the Pats do. He can contribute immediately there, they literally have no one!

Man.... I was against trading for him until I saw he could've been had for a 6th (5th on incentives which would obviously be worth it if he contributed). Someone who is proven in the system would at least be a reasonable upgrade at WR3

we really couldn't give up a 5th? how many 5th rounders turn into stars its not like we were trading a first rounder for the guy

(not saying all pat 5th rounders have sucked or that lloyd would have been a star)

Last edited:
Yes, sir.

P.S., and wildly OT: I've found an ample supply of the Szechuan peppercorns at Kam Man Marketplace in Quincy.

Congrats! I'm sorry I could never hook you up while I was in China.

Congrats! I'm sorry I could never hook you up while I was in China.

Not a problem at all. I appreciated the thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back