PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd, to replace Givens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoLMeS

Rookie
Reaction score
I really like Lloyd a young good WR who would be very good in this Patriots system. We would have to give a third round pick for him but I'd do that any day of the week, Lloyd is sort of proven and this WR class for 2006 is very weak. What's your take on Lloyd?

If we're not going to show Givens the money, I can't imagine we're going to pay the money that Lloyd will be asking. I would view them as equals so the asking prices should be about the same.

FBGratings.com:

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/profile.php?pyid=1113

Name: Brandon Lloyd Number: 85
Height: 6-0 Weight: 184
Position: WR
College: Illinois
Born: 07/05/1981
Years Pro: 2
Drafted: 49ers, 2003 - Round 4, pick 27 [124 overall]

CURRENT RATINGS
Speed: 86
Strength: 43
Awareness: 76
Agility: 93
Acceleration: 89
Catching: 84
Carrying: 64
Jumping: 86
Break Tackle: 38
Tackling: 22
Throwing Power: 58
Throwing Accuracy: 24
Pass Blocking: 8
Run Blocking: 26
Kicking Power: 0
Kicking Accuracy: 0
Kick Return: 46
Stamina: 85
Injury: 76
Toughness: 75

OVERALL RATINGS
Madden 2004: 65
Madden 2005: 80
Madden 12/21/05: 80
Madden 2006: 80

FBG 2004: 70
FBG 2005: 79
+/- 04 to 05: +3
FBG 2006: 79

New 06 OVERALL Updated: 05/05/05
Player Ratings Last Updated: 11/22/04

PLAYER NOTES:

Jan 5 2006 - WR Brandon Lloyd is a one-dimensional pass-catcher probably who isn't worth a first-round tender, so he could receive some offers because of a possible fourth-round tag.

Dec 21 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd did not appear on the injury report after missing the second half of last week's game against the Jaguars with a neck strain. Lloyd is the 49ers' leading receiver with 42 catches for 667 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 20 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught one pass for 6 yards before missing the second half with a neck strain. Lloyd, who has been very inconsistent this season, leads the team with 42 catches for 667 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 18 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught one pass for 6 yards at Jacksonville before leaving with a neck strain. Lloyd was listed as questionable on the team's preliminary injury report, but he said he expects to practice Wednesday and be available for the game against the Rams on Saturday.

Dec 13 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught three of the four passes hauled in by wideouts on Sunday against the Seahawks. Lloyd leads the 49ers in receptions, yards and touchdowns. He has just 41 catches for 661 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 6 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd leads the 49ers in receptions, yards and touchdowns despite his inconsistent play this season. Lloyd has just 38 catches for 624 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 4 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd, the team's top receiver, had a team-high five catches but for just 47 yards against Arizona.

Nov 29 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught three passes for 30 yards on Sunday against the Titans, and leads the team with just 33 receptions for 527 yards and four touchdowns.

Nov 22 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd rebounded with a strong game after struggling a week earlier against the Bears.Coach Mike Nolan said he had two talks with Lloyd about his conduct. Nolan said he was concerned that Lloyd might alienate some of his teammates. Nolan said he was pleased with the way Lloyd came back with seven catches for 119 yards and one touchdown.

Nov 16 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had the only 49ers reception of the game Sunday against the Bears, but he had two very bad plays in the 17-9 loss. Lloyd, who has the best hands on the team, dropped a pass and looked as if his concentration was broken because Bears S Mike Brown was closing in on him for a big hit. Also, Lloyd appeared to shy away from a well-thrown pass at the goal line.

Nov 13 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had the 49ers' only reception against Chicago, a 28-yarder in the third quarter. But he appeared to hear footsteps on two passes that he failed to catch later in the game. On one pass near the goal line, Lloyd said QB Cody Pickett threw early on a play in which Lloyd was supposed to fake a slant and then settle in the back of the end zone.

Nov 8 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd made a remarkable 31-yard reception that was called back due to a holding penalty. He caught just one other pass the entire game against the Giants. His production has fallen off since the 49ers traded quarterback Tim Rattay. Lloyd has just 22 receptions for 400 yards and three touchdowns this season, but is still the team's leading wideout.

Nov 1 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd has not gotten a lot of action since the team benched Tim Rattay and subsequently traded him to the Buccaneers. Lloyd caught just two passes for 18 yards on Sunday against the Buccaneers. Still, he leads the team with 21 catches for 387 yards and three touchdowns.

Oct 24 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd is the team's leading receiver with 19 catches for 369 yards and three touchdowns. Last year through the first six games, tight end Eric Johnson had 45 catches for 484 yards. In fact, Lloyd's numbers would have ranked him fourth last year through six games.

Oct 13 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd has been the team’s best offensive weapon, but he is still wildly inconsistent. He was held without a catch against the Colts after recording two straight 100-yard receiving games.

Oct 11 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd came into the game with two straight 100-yard receiving days, but he did not even catch a pass in the 28-3 loss to the Colts. Lloyd was held without a reception, as rookie QB Alex Smith had a tough time getting the ball to his wideouts.

Oct 9 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd, who had emerged as the 49ers' top offensive playmaker, was held without a catch by the Colts. Lloyd had gone over the 100-yard receiving mark the previous two games with Tim Rattay at quarterback.

Oct 5 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd is off to the best start of his career. Lloyd has 17 catches for 326 yards and three touchdowns, as he leads the 49ers in each of those statistics.

Oct 4 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had his second consecutive 100-yard receiving day, as he caught seven passes for 102 yards against the Cardinals. However, Lloyd also fumbled at the Cardinals' 45-yard line - the deepest penetration the 49ers got on the Arizona defense all game.

Oct 2 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had his second consecutive 100-yard receiving day, catching seven passes for 102 yards against Arizona.

Sep 27 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd is emerging into a top-flight receiver, as he shows signs of benefiting greatly from receivers coach Jerry Sullivan. Lloyd has 10 catches for 224 yards and three touchdowns. His 89-yard score on a pass from Tim Rattay was the sixth-longest pass play in 49ers history.

Sep 26 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd's 89-yard touchdown catch from Tim Rattay was the sixth-longest pass completion in team history, ranking behind Steve Young-John Taylor (97 yards, vs. Atlanta, 1991), Joe Montana-Jerry Rice (96, vs. San Diego, 1988), Montana-Taylor (95, vs. Rams, 1989), Steve DeBerg-Freddie Solomon (93, vs Atlanta 1980) and Montana-Taylor (92, vs. Rams, 1989).

Sep 25 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had a career-high 142 yards receiving against Dallas, including two touchdown grabs. His 89-yard touchdown reception from Tim Rattay was the sixth-longest scoring strike in club history.

Sep 13 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd made a spectacular catch for a 35-yard touchdown against double coverage. Lloyd finished with three catches for 65 yards in the 49ers' victory over the Rams.

Sep 6 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd, the starting split end, had a fine exhibition season, catching 10 passes for 140 yards and one touchdown. There is no clear-cut No. 1 receiver in the 49ers' offense.

May 13 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd, who's dedication to football was questioned by teammates last season, cut a rap CD this offseason, causing some to wonder if his priorities aren't a little skewed. "Some guys work on their degrees in the offseason and some guys work on their rapping," coach Mike Nolan said. "Hopefully, it's a career after football, not during. As long as it's not a distraction to his job, there is time in the day for those guys to do some other things."

Jan 19 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd can make some acrobatic catches, but he lacks the speed to get much separation. He also struggles against bump-and-run coverage.

Dec 21 2004 - WR Brandon Lloyd has been a target that 49ers quarterbacks have looked for near the end zone. Lloyd has caught six of the team's 15 touchdown passes, including one Saturday against the Redskins. Lloyd is the 49ers' third-leading receiver, with 41 catches for 540 yards.

Injury Notes:

Dec 21 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd did not appear on the injury report after missing the second half of last week's game against the Jaguars with a neck strain. Lloyd is the 49ers' leading receiver with 42 catches for 667 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 20 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught one pass for 6 yards before missing the second half with a neck strain. Lloyd, who has been very inconsistent this season, leads the team with 42 catches for 667 yards and four touchdowns.

Dec 18 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd caught one pass for 6 yards at Jacksonville before leaving with a neck strain. Lloyd was listed as questionable on the team's preliminary injury report, but he said he expects to practice Wednesday and be available for the game against the Rams on Saturday.

Nov 10 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd was removed from the injury report on Thursday. Wednesday, he was listed as questionable because of a stomachache. He returned to practice on Thursday.

Nov 10 2005 - WR Brandon Lloyd had a stomachache earlier in the week and was listed as questionable. But Nolan made it sound as if Lloyd's ailment will not prevent him from playing.

Last edited:
Well playing for San Fransico I'd pull some of those injuries also. Lloyd wouldn't ask as much as Givens would, I'd still perfer Holmes over anyone, I was just throwing it out there for a discussion.

Despite what your video game rating website says, I would still gladly take Brandon Lloyd on this team.

huskeralk said:
Despite what your video game rating website says, I would still gladly take Brandon Lloyd on this team.

Stomachache!

It's not really the rating that counts. It's the notes from scouts.

Last edited:
Well like I said if I was on San Fran i'd pull that too. Look what Dillon did on Cincy. Exactly.

Brandon Lloyd misses passes so he won't get hit, doesn't go over the middle and even ducked when a ball was coming once. He's the anti Givens. He's garbage. I do not want him.

HoLMeS said:
Well like I said if I was on San Fran i'd pull that too. Look what Dillon did on Cincy. Exactly.

I don't know about the injuries but if he had an NFL calibre qb throwing him the ball, there would be alot more people talking about him right now.

HoLMeS said:
I really like Lloyd a young good WR who would be very good in this Patriots system. We would have to give a third round pick for him but I'd do that any day of the week, Lloyd is sort of proven and this WR class for 2006 is very weak. What's your take on Lloyd?

Lloyd makes a spectacular catch once in a while but disappears for periods of time like he doesn't care if he gets open or catches a pass. Won't play if he has a hangnail. Exaggeration, but not completely.

One thing to keep this discussion alive, The Pats scouted Lloyd a lot at Illinois..

NEM said:
The NFL is rapidly changing. We need WR's and DB's with some height. That is why I feel Andre Davis will be a major player for us next season. There were some good moments with him this season, both deep and mid range.

I don't think height as a WR is that important. Steve Smith and Deion Branch happen to be two of the best and they're nowhere near 6'.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Lloyd makes a spectacular catch once in a while but disappears for periods of time like he doesn't care if he gets open or catches a pass. Won't play if he has a hangnail. Exaggeration, but not completely.
Lloyd could fill a highlight reel with some of the catches he makes, especially diving one-handed catches. Lloyd could fill a lowlight reel with all the wide-open drops he makes. Too schitzo for BB's taste, I'm sure.

Regards,
Chris

Wasn't there some quote, back when Pats were scouting Llyod, from Charlie Weis. Can't recall what it was, but it was of the negative variety.

Lloyd had a bit of an attitude or something, and Weis commented that's why he won't be a Patriot, or something like that. (?)

Anyone remember this quote?

the twig not good example

NEM said:
Yes,they are good, but today's game is changing, and you need some height on many of the different patterns that are now run, and DB's are getting bigger too.
We are very weak on deep sideline fly patterns and fade patterns in the end zone because of a lack of height and it allows defenses to have an advantage in key situations.
god am i glad to hear someone else say that.
ditto.
look, there will always be places for guys who are smart, have good hands, a LOT of speed, and can hold on to the ball. short don't matter. for BB it's one of the steals of the draft at round 2.
even if he's 5-7 (my guesstimate).
but we gotta get some height on the skill positions. isn't givens the tallest at 6'0"? it's not only height, it's presence. a coupla guys 6'1", 205, who are smart, fast hitters would be nice. a 6'4" WR who can just TAKE the ball away from DBs would be very very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots