PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone dig up the numbers for when Brady targets LLoyd?

KFFL had some although they seemed to have adjusted for his lone reception but not his targets Sunday. Adding in 6 targets he's been targeted 63 times with 35 receptions or a 57% catch percentage. His targets seem to be trending downward along with his catch rate. High risk targets like deep threat WR tend to have lower catch rates because the odds of connecting are less manageable. Lloyd is like the shorter depth version of that player. Makes spectacular sideline catches on contested balls. Struggles to make the routine catch consistently. Guys like Welker (who is currently catching 80% of his targets) and the TE's who last season caught in excess of 70% of their targets are better bets to consistently move the chains. Deep threats while only catching 50-60% tend to score frequently thereby balancing the risk reward. Lloyd isn't doing that.

Brandon Llyd is anything but 'great'. He may be great when compared to what Ocho brought to the table, but he's not great by any means.

Randy Moss was great... :)

Wish we picked Plaxico... he has the height.

Lloyd is slow and cannot get open against most CBs so he has to make spectacular catches...

He needs to do a lot better in my opinion.

KFFL had some although they seemed to have adjusted for his lone reception but not his targets Sunday. Adding in 6 targets he's been targeted 63 times with 35 receptions or a 57% catch percentage. His targets seem to be trending downward along with his catch rate. High risk targets like deep threat WR tend to have lower catch rates because the odds of connecting are less manageable. Lloyd is like the shorter depth version of that player. Makes spectacular sideline catches on contested balls. Struggles to make the routine catch consistently. Guys like Welker (who is currently catching 80% of his targets) and the TE's who last season caught in excess of 70% of their targets are better bets to consistently move the chains. Deep threats while only catching 50-60% tend to score frequently thereby balancing the risk reward. Lloyd isn't doing that.

The drops are disconcerting. Hopefully that gets cleaned up. The other factor about the targets to Lloyd is that Brady is frequently moving around in the pocket buying time for the deep route to unfold and throwing to a spot only LLoyd can get to the ball. The targets that land out of bounds or five yards downfield are a main driver of the 50% to 60% reception rate.

Lloyd should have, at a minimum, been 3-8 last night.

Last edited:
The drops are disconcerting. Hopefully that gets cleaned up. The other factor about the targets to Lloyd is that Brady is frequently moving around in the pocket buying time for the deep route to unfold and throwing to a spot only LLoyd can get to the ball. The targets that land out of bounds or five yards downfield are a main driver of the 50% to 60% reception rate.

Lloyd should have, at a minimum, been 3-6 last night.

Lloyd makes every catch harder than what it should be. I swear every time he catches a ball the announcer says "amazing catch by lloyd" and when drops it "wow that would've been a difficult catch".
Lloyd doesn't know how to make easy catches.

Fear has this song called "New York's alright"
in it there is a lyric
if you like gay saxophone players

In the spirit of the above,
I'm going to say this about Brandon Floyd
Brandon Floyd is alright
if you like tons of dropped passes

Lloyd was brought in specifically to stretch the field. While it almost capitalized for us in Seattle, I can't actually recall a long completion that counted. While he has far surpassed Ocho Stinko's production, yesterday he reminded me of Ocho. Brady and Lloyd just weren't on the same page.

What exactly is the obsession with YAC lately?

FYI, 5 of the top 10 YAC guys in the NFL are averaging the same, or less yards per reception than Lloyd in addition to fewer yards total. YAC is really not a huge, significant stat so let's stop acting like it is. It's like judging QBs by their rushing yards.

Not to defend Lloyd's performance today, he struggled, and Brady seems to force one or two to him at times like that play down the sideline that Cromartie almost intercepted. But the YAC thing is really taking on ridiculous levels of discussion.

I tend to agree with this. If Lloyd can catch a 30 yard pass, the question of him running for a few more seems less important.

The problem is, you're always talking about a pretty small sample size with these deep balls, so the drops are really magnified. Obviously they happen, but Lloyd has to work to make sure they don't happen much. The issue is compounded by Brady's trouble throwing the deep ball with any consistency.

Last edited:
Brandon Lloyd is a NOT! a legit Deep threat he's a complimentary WR at best. Brady ha to make perfect throws to Lloyd because he doesn't get much separartion to begin with. I wonder how many times have Brady gone to Lloyd on a critical 3rd down? I bet mot many.

Brandon Lloyd is a NOT! a legit Deep threat he's a complimentary WR at best. Brady ha to make perfect throws to Lloyd because he doesn't get much separartion to begin with. I wonder how many times have Brady gone to Lloyd on a critical 3rd down? I bet mot many.

I couldn't agree with you more.

He had a horrible game and its unacceptable to have that many drops are not nearly as concerning as the lack of separation.

Having said that, I hate to pick on the new guy, and considering we still went to him 8 times last night despite a huge number of dropped balls, tells me he IS a big part of this offense.

We can't just discount the guy and put him in the dog house. We NEED him. And we NEED him to play like he was brought here and expected to play.

He needs to fix it, but also, whatever we gotta do, we gotta figure out how to help this guy play his role. We won't go anywhere without a vertical threat, even if he is not a true top tier WR. We just gotta figure out how to get this guy to play at the best level he can possibly play if we want to have any chance of going anywhere this year.

PS: Hearing the announcers confirm my fear and complaint with this team in the 3rd quarter was concerning. At one point, he mentioned the 21 yard completion was the longest completion we had all night. That is a ONE dimensional passing offense and it needs to be fixed yesterday.

Last edited:
Lloyd's a possession receiver playing the outsider receiver role traditionally designed for speed receivers that stretch the field. The Pats' receiver speed, as a whole, is brutal. Jets DBs were attached to the hip all afternoon. And when Lloyd did manage a cut to create separation, the Jet's steroided safety easily reengaged. The reality is, the coaches have figured out that Lloyd, and the currently hobbled AHern, both need Brady to be perfect to get these two the ball....and the back shoulder throw has to be deployed...not the highest % throw.
I credit Brady for continuing his attempts to hit on the long ball. But these "over the top" passes continue to demonstrate the overall lack of speed of his targets.
I give the Pats a big pass this game on execution....missing both safeties and both guards screwed them.....it was a patchwork effort that got the W. I wonder if BB is calling down to Texas to try and nudge a certain G out of retirement.

Last edited:
Lloyd was brought in specifically to stretch the field. While it almost capitalized for us in Seattle, I can't actually recall a long completion that counted. While he has far surpassed Ocho Stinko's production, yesterday he reminded me of Ocho. Brady and Lloyd just weren't on the same page.

He wasn't good yesterday..but everyone is acting like he sucks becasue he isn't putting up moss numbers or catching 7 deep balls a game

Remember he injured his shoulder in Seattle. he came back in and practiced all week and he was fine but who knows..what if he is banged up as well just like gronk and hernandez.

I can't wait for the bye week. get people healthy

Last edited:
Just as there are boundary corners, Lloyd is a boundary receiver. This is an improvement over last year, when the Giant didn't have to defend any routes outside the numbers. He's just not a downfield threat. Better than what they had last year, and better than Branch. Not a #1, though.

He wasn't good yesterday..but everyone is acting like he sucks becasue he isn't putting up moss numbers or catching 7 deep balls a game

Remember he injured his shoulder in Seattle. he came back in and practiced all week and he was fine but who knows..what if he is banged up as well just like gronk and hernandez.

I can't wait for the bye week. get people healthy

I'd just be happy with 1 deep ball a game right about now!

So Brady cant throw long huh. watch the you tube on moss

Moss could change speeds and catch up to the balls Brady would lead him with. Since then, Brady has to be a lot more accurate because nobody has the speed and hands Moss had. Moss was an amazing talent!

So Brady cant throw long huh. watch the you tube on moss

So Brady successfully chucking bombs 5 years ago to possibly the greatest long-ball receiver ever is evidence Brady's a good long ball passer now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes