PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd - I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a must in the offseason to resign Welker and add another WR with speed.

Hmm, an addition of Wallace/resigning Welker would be an offseason wet dream.

Hernandez-Wallace-Welker-Lloyd-Gronkowski...Hello 16-0;)

... I'm just not feeling it. Sure, he had a couple nice games recently, but yesterday looked to me like the majority of this season. Is there some kind of chemistry between he and Brady that I'm missing? I try not to be negative, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about his role in this O. Fortunately, the O has mostly been fine without him, which is irrelevant to this matter.

The 2012 New England Patriots who started 3-3 and had a chorus of people speaking of BB being washed up, the team sucks etc etc just clinched the second best playoff spot available. At this point their lone failure of the season is they probably lost an odds improvement of 25% (guess) to host the AFCCG. Other than that they have given themselves the best possible chance to win the SB. Pretty awesome considering how they started. So enjoy the moment, enjoy the numerous catches that BL has caught to assist the Patriots in achieving this goal, and have a happy new year! :)

With any luck the Pats will smarten up this offseason, dump all the dead weight, and field a team of nothing but HOF players at every position.

Lloyd can't really do much when we have gronk, Aaron, Wes and Edelman how can he put up huge #'s when the others do?? When Lloyd gets better I expect him to have a big season next year. Who knows, maybe we will go back to back to back Super Bowls in 3 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Patriots do not have any WRs to speak of; it s quite amazing that the Patriots have gotten this far with a legit WR. Sure Lloyd has a lot of yards but he does not scare defense the way Randy Moss did. The problem is that he only commands single coverage leaving the safeties free to cause trouble. The Patriots do not have anyone WRs to take the top off the defense.

You posted this as a joke, right???

Otherwise, you define yourself for everyone here if you expected Brandon Lloyd to be Randy Moss.

Lloyd hit met expectations this year for anyone who follows football.

But you are right. He didn't perform like the guy who holds the NFL record for most TD receptions in a season. And Stevan Ridley doesn't rack up the 2,000 yard seasons like Adrian Peterson, so he is not a 'legit RB'.

Last edited:
I think Llyod has done a fine job here, and has developed something of a nice rapport with Brady, especially over the past month when Gronk and Edelman became injured.

One thing's for sure..he was a nice upgrade over Branch as a starter, and he came with a reasonable cost to boot.

I for one, wanted Wayne terribly, but sadly that didn't happen; Llyod has the capacity to play here for another couple/few years in a nice role.

The Patriots do not have any WRs to speak of; it s quite amazing that the Patriots have gotten this far with a legit WR. Sure Lloyd has a lot of yards but he does not scare defense the way Randy Moss did. The problem is that he only commands single coverage leaving the safeties free to cause trouble. The Patriots do not have anyone WRs to take the top off the defense.

Drugs are bad

.."hey!!...it's me!!! Ellis!..."

"Ellis who?"...

"Ellis Dee !"...

"man, you're trippin...I don't know no Ellis D...beat it.."

... I'm just not feeling it. Sure, he had a couple nice games recently, but yesterday looked to me like the majority of this season. Is there some kind of chemistry between he and Brady that I'm missing? I try not to be negative, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about his role in this O. Fortunately, the O has mostly been fine without him, which is irrelevant to this matter.

73 catches - 902 yards - 4 touchdowns

tumblr_m59ou2zjqt1r3zat8.gif

Last edited:
I think Llyod has done a fine job here, and has developed something of a nice rapport with Brady, especially over the past month when Gronk and Edelman became injured.

One thing's for sure..he was a nice upgrade over Branch as a starter, and he came with a reasonable cost to boot.

I for one, wanted Wayne terribly, but sadly that didn't happen; Llyod has the capacity to play here for another couple/few years in a nice role.

Such a salient point that the doubters fail to grasp. 70+ catches, crystal clear upgrade over 2011 and at a reasonable cost. I guess some people expected him to be just about the league's best receiver (which he was not going to be)....

73 catches - 902 yards - 4 touchdowns

tumblr_m59ou2zjqt1r3zat8.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone looks at that and sees a big sign that screams "disappointment," but that's just me.

I think there was a major misconception that Llyod would be another vertical burner (admittedly, I expected a bit more myself initially, but once I was able to see more actual weekly footage of his game I realized his ability was to stretch the field horizontally, not vertically), and that may be where the disappointment comes from.

Otherwise I can't see how a 73 catch performance isn't considered an upgrade from what we had last year?

We needed someone to be a viable threat to produce and make receptions when Welker/Hernandez were being schemed out of the game, and in my opinion Llyod has proven to be capable of handling that role. I am certain that he seems to be an upgrade over what we had in that department last year as a starter.

Last edited:
He does not have deep speed or quickness but other than that he is a good receiver ;^) He would make a nice number 2 or 3 WR.

The Patriots basically have no WRs. When the Patriots are facing a team with good CBs (i.e. the Seahawks) the Patriots WRs only merit single coverage freeing up the safeties to create all sorts of mischief. The biggest hole the Patriots currently have (after Talib and Fonsie get back) is at WR.

Wes Welker 118 catches 1,354 yards 6 tds
Brandon Lloyd 74 catches 911 yards 4 tds

Rob Gronkwoski 55 catches 790 yards 11 tds
Aaron Hernandez 51 catches 483 yards 5 tds

Considering all our receiving options, Brandon Lloyd has pulled his weight in 2012. In fact he helped pick up some of the slack while Gronk were missing time and Aaron were missing time. I'd say that's a great bargain for a guy getting paid 12m over 3 years plus incentives.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone looks at that and sees a big sign that screams "disappointment," but that's just me.

I think there was a major misconception that Llyod would be another vertical burner (admittedly, I expected a bit more myself initially, but once I was able to see more actual weekly footage of his game I realized his ability was to stretch the field horizontally, not vertically), and that may be where the disappointment comes from.

Otherwise I can't see how a 73 catch performance isn't considered an upgrade from what we had last year?

We needed someone to be a viable threat to produce and make receptions when Welker/Hernandez were being schemed out of the game, and in my opinion Llyod has proven to be capable of handling that role. I am certain that he seems to be an upgrade over what we had in that department last year as a starter.

Yup. The misconception with Llyod was with a deep threat vs a outside the numbers threat. And confusing the 2 as the same.

Would I love a deep threat, you bet. But a outside the numbers threat does the trick too.

Like you say supafly

We needed someone to be a viable threat to produce and make receptions when Welker/Hernandez were being schemed out of the game

IE: D's clog(that is not really the word I am looking for) the middle of the field. And a WR who can play outside the numbers can give opposing D's another facet to deal with.

Llyod makes D's respect the sidelines just enough to open up the middle of the field where most of the Pats receiving game thrives.

Either way Llyod has done his job.

If that makes sense, I am kind of rambling..

Last edited:
Deion Branch is Deion Branch.

Brandon Lloyd was a major upgrade over Chad Ochocinco.

The stench of the Chad Ochocinco trade will still be felt in 2013 with the loss of a sixth round draft pick in the 2013 NFL Draft and dead money against the 2013 salary cap.

2013 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Round Six

• New England → Cincinnati (PD). New England traded this selection and a 2012 fifth-round selection to Cincinnati for wide receiver Chad Johnson.

Wes Welker 118 catches 1,354 yards 6 tds
Brandon Lloyd 74 catches 911 yards 4 tds

Rob Gronkwoski 55 catches 790 yards 11 tds
Aaron Hernandez 51 catches 483 yards 5 tds

Considering all our receiving options, Brandon Lloyd has pulled his weight in 2012. In fact he helped pick up some of the slack while Gronk were missing time and Aaron were missing time. I'd say that's a great bargain for a guy getting paid 12m over 3 years plus incentives.

Great point (another poster also eluded to this). TFB has a lot of places to throw the ball. If JE would have stayed healthy I would not be surprised if he had 40+ (I think he ended up with 25). I think Woody had something approaching 40. Taking out BL that's around 290 friggin receptions to those other 5 guys.....about 18 per game to these 5 guys. When you see it through those stats and consider how potent the running game was this year, BL ending up with 70+ is far from disappointing.

Last edited:
Deion Branch is Deion Branch.

Brandon Lloyd was a major upgrade over Chad Ochocinco.

The stench of the Chad Ochocinco trade will still be felt in 2013 with the loss of a sixth round draft pick in the 2013 NFL Draft and dead money against the 2013 salary cap.

2013 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meh, ya it is never great to lose draft picks. But with the drafts the Pats have had since 2010 and the players on this team from said drafts. And the round of that Ocho pick we gave up. The risk was worth the reward(obviously no reward).

I would not be surprised if the Pats use this draft to bolster there picks for the fowling year draft..

Not to say losing that 6th pick was good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing