PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd - I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
... I'm just not feeling it. Sure, he had a couple nice games recently, but yesterday looked to me like the majority of this season. Is there some kind of chemistry between he and Brady that I'm missing? I try not to be negative, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about his role in this O. Fortunately, the O has mostly been fine without him, which is irrelevant to this matter.

73 catches/902 yards/4 touchdowns/50 first downs. If that's a lack of chemistry in their first season together, God help the rest of the league if they do develop chemistry.

So basically you made a thread because your gut doesn't like Lloyd and you have nothing beyond that to indict the guy?

Sheesh.

73 receptions 902 yards

(WRs only)
17th in the league in receptions
25th in the league in yards

The stats show hes one of the best #2 WRs in the league.

I'm not idicting the guy, nor do I know his stats for the season. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else here shares my feelings. Those feelings being that he seems out of synch with Brady A LOT of the time in my eyes.

I was not sold on the signing of Lloyd as I thought he was going to be a 600-800 yards WR...he has already surpassed that with 1 game to go....he has exceeded my expectations.

Perhaps he is getting much more involved due to Gronk's absence or he might have been that 600 yard WR I was expecting.

I agree to some extent. Lloyd is not a #1 WR, but he would make a terrific #2. Welker is not a true prototypical #1 but he is an elite slot receiver. So I guess you need to stop looking at Lloyd as our burner because he is not and you will see he is very productive.

I'm not idicting the guy, nor do I know his stats for the season. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else here shares my feelings. Those feelings being that he seems out of synch with Brady A LOT of the time in my eyes.

Maybe he isn't a long deep threat or a game changer but Lloyd is one thing....

Lloyd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chad Stinko Johnson

I think he's fine. A lot of the incompletions are Brady throwing to him when he's not open/super tight coverage with a back shoulder throw. Brady has always been throwing to the guy who's open. He's not an Eli or a Flacco who will throw in there hoping the receiver makes something out of it. He's not used to making these kinds of throws. That is also why is INTs are so low. He does not throw if the guy isn't open.

Lloyd's play is comparable to Deion Branch's career year, 2005, when he caught 78 passes for 998 yards. The chemistry with Brady is not perfect but it has gotten better in recent weeks.

I give Lloyd a "B-". BB via McDaniels knew what he was getting in Lloyd, he is no less effective than he was elsewhere. The Brady chemistry is a bit streaky but he is light years ahead of Ocho Cinco. Seperation was never Lloyd's strong suit although his "gut catch and go down" habit can get frustrating..

I think Brady forces some throws to him. And he's made some ridiculous catches over the season, but then he drops a few bunnies.

Overall, been really happy with Lloyd, especially when you consider he's probably our #4 target in the passing game after Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez.

You also have to consider relative value. He's averaging $4M a season, say $3M less than Pierre Garcon or Laurent Robinson, two guys who signed bigger deals this off-season but combined don't even match his production.

His cap hit this season is $2M. For what we paid, it's hard to say he's not worth it.

73 receptions 902 yards

(WRs only)
17th in the league in receptions
25th in the league in yards

The stats show hes one of the best #2 WRs in the league.

It's even more impressive when you consider:
1) It's their first year together
2) How many weapons there are on this offense and receptions to distribute

I don't know how anyone can complain about Lloyd's year. Unless you were expecting Randy Moss of 2007, in which case the blame can only be put on you.

The only thing that bothers me about Lloyd is his inability to generate YAC.

Other than that.... move on, nothing to see here.

People criticize him because he is neither physical nor fast, but compare his production to, say, Branch's and you have to be glad he is there.

his chemistry with brady is getting better...341 yards receiving in the last 3 games...pretty good

I'm happy with Lloyd's production especially in an offense that features the slot WR and two Tight Ends. No complaints here. He's made some phenominal catches on the sidelines.

I have never seen a WR be able to twist, angle and contort his body like he does. He is one of the smoothest athletes I have ever seen on a football field to be honest. Going in and out of his breaks he is about as fluid as it gets. I love the way he bounces up from the ground after a catch it's like he's shot right back up from a spring in the ground.

The Rubberband Man he is. Glad we got him.

Not sure what you think is out of sync. I see very few cases where Lloyd breaks a route differently than Brady reads it. I think what you are seeing is that Lloyd runs routes that are lower percentage throws, and therefore has more incompletions than someone like Welker that he completes 75% to.
I think you need to realize there are different facets to a passing games and different receviers play different roles.

... I'm just not feeling it. Sure, he had a couple nice games recently, but yesterday looked to me like the majority of this season. Is there some kind of chemistry between he and Brady that I'm missing? I try not to be negative, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about his role in this O. Fortunately, the O has mostly been fine without him, which is irrelevant to this matter.

Feelings,
Wo-o-o feelings
Wo-o-o feelings
Again in my heart

Feelings,
Wo-o-o feelings
Wo-o-o feelings

Not sure what you think is out of sync. I see very few cases where Lloyd breaks a route differently than Brady reads it. I think what you are seeing is that Lloyd runs routes that are lower percentage throws, and therefore has more incompletions than someone like Welker that he completes 75% to.
I think you need to realize there are different facets to a passing games and different receviers play different roles.

This. Lloyd is catching passes outside the numbers = more difficult. Welker and the tight ends are typically catching passes inside the numbers = less difficult. Lloyd is doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes