PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Gorin vs. Wesley Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Obviously, Light, Kaczur and rookie O'Callagan are 3 roster locks. If we take 4 tackles, who gets the last spot, Gorin (who plays exclusively at RT), or Britt (Height: 6-8 Weight: 314). I seem to remember hearing that Britt played some LT. Can anyone confirm?

It really depends on how Britt performs in camp. Gorin, despite his experience, had bad play after bad play from what I saw on tape.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Obviously, Light, Kaczur and rookie O'Callagan are 3 roster locks. If we take 4 tackles, who gets the last spot, Gorin (who plays exclusively at RT), or Britt (Height: 6-8 Weight: 314). I seem to remember hearing that Britt played some LT. Can anyone confirm?

Again, I wish you would stop calling low round untested draft picks "locks".

I don't have the statistics handy, but maybe somebody could give some stats on past 5th round picks who never played a down.

This doesn't reflect what I think of O'callaghan, but calling a 5th round pick a lock is just silly.

There's a reason he was available in the 5th round.

RayClay said:
There's a reason he was available in the 5th round.
Hopefully that reason is because other teams have no idea what they're doing.

In all seriousness, Ryan O'Callaghan is just as likely to go to the pratice squad as the roster in my book. I would say he's likely to remain with the Patriots somehow.

I would say the same about Britt.

Either way, I believe Gorin is gone by 2007, when his contract runs out. Gorin would cost us $133,000 to cut according to Miguel's cap page, but only costs $585,000 per year. No reason not to keep him around, as he's better than most backups available on the market, unless O'Callaghan or Britt really impresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
drpatriot said:

In all seriousness, Ryan O'Callaghan is just as likely to go to the pratice squad as the roster in my book. I would say he's likely to remain with the Patriots somehow.

Either way, I believe Gorin is gone by 2007, when his contract runs out. Gorin would cost us $133,000 to cut according to Miguel's cap page, but only costs $585,000 per year. No reason not to keep him around, as he's better than most backups available on the market, unless O'Callaghan or Britt really impresses.

I think this guy was a steal, although Britt had better potential and Gorin has actually played in the NFL.

Just please, please, please Patriot 80 don't call 5th and 6th round draft picks "locks".

If you think that's what a lock is, I hope you don't have a lot of valuables lying around your house.:D

RayClay said:
I think this guy was a steal, although Britt had better potential and Gorin has actually played in the NFL.

Just please, please, please Patriot 80 don't call 5th and 6th round draft picks "locks".

If you think that's what a lock is, I hope you don't have a lot of valuables lying around your house.:D

Sorry Ray Clay, but I strenously disagree (at least were discussing something in the dead period between training camp). 7th round picks aren't locks, but if guys you picked in the first 6 rounds can't make the team at least one year, then the team made a pretty bad pick. O'Callagan, Stevenson, and Le Kevan Smith are locks to either make the team, get IRed or at the very least, be put on the practice squad (which wouldn't bode well for them). To clarify what I intended, they are locks "not to get permanently cut." They're locks (at least in my book). Obviously, injuries and performance determine if they make the 53. Even if they do, they'll probably be inactive for most the season.

I'm not necessarily looking to put to together a 53, I'm looking at players who are on the bubble and could "permanently cut."

drpatriot said:

Can Britt be put back on the PS? Not sure how many years you can put a player on PS.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Can Britt be put back on the PS? Not sure how many years you can put a player on PS.
I know that any one player can have at least two years on the PS. Three seems like the right number, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
drpatriot said:
I know that any one player can have at least two years on the PS. Three seems like the right number, but I don't know for sure.
The max is 2 years.

PATRIOTS-80 said:

O'Callaghan is a roster lock? Britt won All SEC as a Left Tackle but his position is probably Right Tackle. It is not clear at all that O'Callaghan is the most talented as Britt was a projected second, third rounder who fell to a broken leg late his Senior year.

I'd say O'Callaghan is probably a PS roster lock at best...

Last edited by a moderator:
I say that Britt makes it over Gorin. O'Callagan's potential over Gorin. JMHO of course.

Perhaps it just my fascination with Britt and O'Callaghan... But don't both of these fifth round draft picks seem much more promising and bulky than Gorin? From the little that I have seen and read about each, my fond hope is that the tackles for the 2006 season are Light, Kaczur, Britt and O'Callaghan. I really like the image of two big maulers backing up Light and Kaczur. Plus they are both smart and humble.

From everything I've read about O'Callaghan, he is as close to a LOCK as a Day 2 pick can be.

I had to lay money, I'd say Light, Kaczur, Britt and O'Callagan are the 4 tackles we have on the 53.

Plus it really made me smile to read of Britt's tenacity according to the quote attributed to Colvin about how Britt made him so much better prepared for opposing teams on Sundays. Anyone have a link to that Colvin quote?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Sorry Ray Clay, but I strenously disagree (at least were discussing something in the dead period between training camp). 7th round picks aren't locks, but if guys you picked in the first 6 rounds can't make the team at least one year, then the team made a pretty bad pick. O'Callagan, Stevenson, and Le Kevan Smith are locks to either make the team, get IRed or at the very least, be put on the practice squad (which wouldn't bode well for them). To clarify what I intended, they are locks "not to get permanently cut." They're locks (at least in my book). Obviously, injuries and performance determine if they make the 53. Even if they do, they'll probably be inactive for most the season.

I'm not necessarily looking to put to together a 53, I'm looking at players who are on the bubble and could "permanently cut."

Any second day picks are rolling the dice in a way.

First, they could be cut because the other players, FAs and practice squad are simply better.

Or they could turn out not to have the attitude or aptitude theywere thought to.

The Pats have done a great job with their recent drafts, but they will not cut somebody just to keep a draft pick. Only losers do that.

Here's an interesting football card. Which of these guys was drafted higher?

http://www.hotlistrookies.com/produ...=7939&osCsid=ee83a82f443d499d23e9688edc45047e

Stachelski got cut in training camp that summer. Brady is a two-time Super Bowl MVP at age 27. The moral: What the heck were you thinking, Scott?

http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2005/02/05/news/news02.txt

Last edited:
RayClay said:
The Pats have done a great job with their recent drafts, but they will not cut somebody just to keep a draft pick. Only losers do that.

[/url]

IMHO, a draft pick in rounds 4-6 should at least make the PS one year as a developmental player. The next year in training camp, the player will have one year of TC, playbook, and physical building in the teams' system. If the player can't seem to make it (see Dexter Reid), you need to draft another rookie (James Sanders) to take his place as a developmental/ST player.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
IMHO, a draft pick in rounds 4-6 should at least make the PS one year as a developmental player. The next year in training camp, the player will have one year of TC, playbook, and physical building in the teams' system. If the player can't seem to make it (see Dexter Reid), you need to draft another rookie (James Sanders) to take his place as a developmental/ST player.

When a team is succesful, they have only so much room for new players and that includes the practice squad.

Part of being succesful is good evaluation of draft picks but if there is a FA who outplays a draft pick BB wouldn't blink an eye.

He's proven time and again he will cut anybody if they aren't up to snuff.

Of course in recent drafts he has avoided that scenario by trading away picks for future ones.

Obviously, they trust their draft team enough to favor picks over others, but hardly to the extent that they're locks.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Of course in recent drafts he has avoided that scenario by trading away picks for future ones.

Obviously, they trust their draft team enough to favor picks over others, but hardly to the extent that they're locks.

yeah, I almost said in my previous post that the mark of good team when they have more picks than they possibly can fill is to trade the pick for next year. Not all picks are roster locks, but most in the 2nd day make at least the PS and stick for the team for a year, at least in recent years.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
yeah, I almost said in my previous post that the mark of good team when they have more picks than they possibly can fill is to trade the pick for next year.
And what is another mark of a good team is when it is hard to get down to the max before training camp. I've not seen that at all in the past....last year, I did a bit and this year, I see more of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back