PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Deaderick + Ron Brace: December Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have Deaderick on my final roster. He seemed to be playing more (and more significant) snaps with each passing preseason game, and I think he's ahead of Lewis at this point.

I'm projecting "OK contributor" on average, but it depends on the opponent. He could be inactive in games where Wright & Warren's quickness and pressure are more valuable but see a lot of snaps when they're looking for a classic immovable object.

I'm with you on Deaderick. We both wanted him on draft day and frankly, I was surprised we didn't take him earlier. I think at this point it's irrelevant where the guy was drafted. I like what I've seen from him and will be very disappointed if we waive him and lose him to another team.

One of the things I really like about the guy, besides what you already mentioned, is how tough this guy is. The below quote is from his draft profile. I've posted it before, but I think it's worth repeating. This is the kind of toughness this team was lacking when Baltimore was kicking our butts.

"Was arrested on July 14, 2007 and charged with giving a false name to police, resisting arrest, and criminal mischief (for cracking the window inside a patrol car with his head). Was shot in 2009 by a would-be car thief. Deaderick confronted the thief and was shot once. The bullet went through his arm, through his hip and out of an area near his groin. Showing his toughness, Deaderick suited up and played against Virginia Tech less than five days later."

I'm with you on Deaderick. We both wanted him on draft day and frankly, I was surprised we didn't take him earlier. I think at this point it's irrelevant where the guy was drafted. I like what I've seen from him and will be very disappointed if we waive him and lose him to another team.

One of the things I really like about the guy, besides what you already mentioned, is how tough this guy is. The below quote is from his draft profile. I've posted it before, but I think it's worth repeating. This is the kind of toughness this team was lacking when Baltimore was kicking our butts.

"Was arrested on July 14, 2007 and charged with giving a false name to police, resisting arrest, and criminal mischief (for cracking the window inside a patrol car with his head). Was shot in 2009 by a would-be car thief. Deaderick confronted the thief and was shot once. The bullet went through his arm, through his hip and out of an area near his groin. Showing his toughness, Deaderick suited up and played against Virginia Tech less than five days later."

Thanks for posting that, Bucky. I sometimes forget, in my obsession, that not everybody spends all their time digging into the back stories on these guys. He is truly an High Character guy, and I agree with you 100% that we can never have too much of that kind of FEROCITY.

I've been pretty high on Deaderick from the outset. I've liked some of the stuff I've seen from him so far (demanding double teams at times, getting push into the backfield, never giving up on a play). I've also seen some thing that concern me as I've seen him get blown off the LOS from time to time. That said, though, he's a rookie. He's still got a learning curve in front of him. That learning curve should be shortened based on the fact that he played for Saban at Alabama, who also runs a two gap 3-4. If we can get something from Deaderick at DE this season, similar to what we got from Seymour in 2001, we might actually be okay at RDE.

As for Brace, I've liked what I've seen from him all offseason. It put a smile on my face to see that he trimmed down and played some LDE in mini-camps. When he got his shot this week, I thought he looked miles ahead of Gerard Warren. Dominated his man one on one at times, demanded double teams, was a presence in the running and the passing games. It's too bad he got hurt. But, with what we have at DE right now, I would have zero problems throwing him in against the Bengals.

I've been pretty high on Deaderick from the outset. I've liked some of the stuff I've seen from him so far (demanding double teams at times, getting push into the backfield, never giving up on a play). I've also seen some thing that concern me as I've seen him get blown off the LOS from time to time. That said, though, he's a rookie. He's still got a learning curve in front of him. That learning curve should be shortened based on the fact that he played for Saban at Alabama, who also runs a two gap 3-4. .

Agreed. Knowing the 2-gap techique in the 3-4 gives him a pretty good advantage IMO. Now it's a matter of applying fundementals (leverage, proper hand position, using a couple of moves, etc).

If we can get something from Deaderick at DE this season, similar to what we got from Seymour in 2001, we might actually be okay at RDE..

Sey played in 13 games. Started 10. Had 3 sacks, 45 tackles and recovered a fumble. If we get that from Dead, we are going to the SB.

As for Brace, I've liked what I've seen from him all offseason. It put a smile on my face to see that he trimmed down and played some LDE in mini-camps. When he got his shot this week, I thought he looked miles ahead of Gerard Warren. Dominated his man one on one at times, demanded double teams, was a presence in the running and the passing games. It's too bad he got hurt. But, with what we have at DE right now, I would have zero problems throwing him in against the Bengals.

Agreed 100%. The kid seems to be getting it.

So with Brace making an abrupt 180 on the path to bustdom back toward respectability, I think it's worth considering the following:

2.34: Chung (starting SS)
2.40: Brace (potential starting LDE)
2.41: Butler (2nd CB or nickel)
2.58: Vollmer (cornerstone OT)
3.83: Tate (WR3, KR)
6.198: Ingram (long snapper)
6.207: Pryor (rotational NT)
7.232: Edelman (quasi Welker)

Even without considering Ohrnberger, Bussey, Richard, or McKenzie, that's a hell of a draft. The good news is that 2010 is shaping up similarly.

Last edited:
Late round rookies usually pass waivers.
Usually, but if you think about it, most late round rookies don't merit consideration for the final roster.

The question to ask is: How many late round rookies that almost make the 53-man rosters and show potential pass waivers?

But you can't keep everyone, only 53 of them. If the Pats have to waive good players, that is a good sign.

I have him on my 53, slotting him ahead of Damione Lewis.
Warren
Wilfork
Wright
Pryor
Brace
Deaderick
Lewis

Not saying you're wrong, but how do you get that from an arrest record?

Fair question, as there've been questions about his past. But I never said I got that from his arrest record, a classic Youthful Indiscretion back in 2007.

What I got it from was the way his teammates talk about him, and, above all, the way he came back from being shot in that attempted Car Jack, and played that very week!!

Fair question, as there've been questions about his past. But I never said I got that from his arrest record, a classic Youthful Indiscretion back in 2007.

What I got it from was the way his teammates talk about him, and, above all, the way he came back from being shot in that attempted Car Jack, and played that very week!!

Fair enough. No doubt he sounds like a tough SOB. I'd love to see him earn a reserve spot ahead of Lewis (who hasn't impressed me at all thus far in preseason).

Not sure about Deadrick but Brace I think is quietly becoming the surprise of the year.. he is really playing strong and looks like he is gaining more confidence..

Am I the only one seeing this?

Not sure about Deadrick but Brace I think is quietly becoming the surprise of the year.. he is really playing strong and looks like he is gaining more confidence..

Am I the only one seeing this?

He's made some plays and is starting. He's not Seymour--or even Warren--but can fill a role and even be a disruptive player at times.

'Lewis projects as a reasonable pass rusher'?

Lewis was cut nearly a month ago.

Actually, I thought this was a pretty pertinent bump, as they go ~ though of course: I'm not exactly impartial on the matter. ;)

Still: Our Defense goes as our D Line goes:

These 2 spots are absolutely VITAL to our chances of success.

* I've been pretty high on Deaderick from the outset. I've liked some of the stuff I've seen from him so far (demanding double teams at times, getting push into the backfield, never giving up on a play). I've also seen some thing that concern me as I've seen him get blown off the LOS from time to time. That said, though, he's a rookie. He's still got a learning curve in front of him. That learning curve should be shortened based on the fact that he played for Saban at Alabama, who also runs a two gap 3-4. If we can get something from Deaderick at DE this season, similar to what we got from Seymour in 2001, we might actually be okay at RDE.

* As for Brace, I've liked what I've seen from him all offseason. It put a smile on my face to see that he trimmed down and played some LDE in mini-camps. When he got his shot this week, I thought he looked miles ahead of Gerard Warren. Dominated his man one on one at times, demanded double teams, was a presence in the running and the passing games. It's too bad he got hurt. But, with what we have at DE right now, I would have zero problems throwing him in against the Bengals.

Thought this was worth reprising, seeing's how Its...BACK. :eek:

The emergence of Brace as a starter, cannot be understated. This is huge, when you think about it.

I think Deaderick should be inactive most of the time, barring injuries.

Kyle Love is another rookie DL who has looked solid in the few plays that he's been in on. Considering that Pryor has earned playing time since early in his rookie season, the past two drafts have been super solid on the DL, especially if Brace continues to improve.

The emergence of Brace as a starter, cannot be understated. This is huge, when you think about it.

Actually, I think Brace's emergence as a starter underlines the major issue of this front 7 - a shortage of complete players. They have players who are good against the run, but suck against the pass (Brace, Spikes, Wilfork) and ones who are (relatively) good against the pass and suck against the run (Pryor, Wright, Guyton, TBC, Warren). This is why guys like Seymour, Vrabel, McGinnest, and Bruschi (the young version) are so missed.

Actually, I thought this was a pretty pertinent bump, as they go ~ though of course: I'm not exactly impartial on the matter. ;)

Still: Our Defense goes as our D Line goes:

These 2 spots are absolutely VITAL to our chances of success.

Thought this was worth reprising, seeing's how Its...BACK. :eek:

Your threads are way too excited.

Actually, I think Brace's emergence as a starter underlines the major issue of this front 7 - a shortage of complete players. They have players who are good against the run, but suck against the pass (Brace, Spikes, Wilfork) and ones who are (relatively) good against the pass and suck against the run (Pryor, Wright, Guyton, TBC, Warren). This is why guys like Seymour, Vrabel, McGinnest, and Bruschi (the young version) are so missed.

Seymour and maybe Bruschi are the only ones that are missed, IMO, against the pass, because Guyton does as well as Vrabel, I don't see why Ninkovich can't defend the pass like McGinest, and then there's Mayo who can do a Bruschi.

Remember, Bobby Hamilton and Ted Washington = Brace and Wilfork. Ted Johnson = Brandon Spikes--though Spikes might actually be much more effective as a pass rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back