PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Browner - rusty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipster9

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2 holding penalties in last night's game.

Browner or Dennard?

Both are press guys, Dennard probably is a little less good in press coverage and probably has a little more quickness.

It's been frustrating watching what the Refs are doing to the vaunted patriot secondary. Even Revis is visibly annoyed by what he can't do at times. If this had been any other year we would have a lot fewer yards against us. You can see it with Dennard.. Once he gets a few holding calls, he stops playing physically and gets torched.

I'm worried about how limited Browner is going to be against these ticky tack calls, i mean it really ruins so much of what he is as a player.

hasn't played in a game since preseason..before that was a loooong time ago. I think it was expected no?

Is 2 holding penalties supposed to be a big deal?

thank the hawks for destroying the league by humiliating forehead in the sb. another rule change for him.

One of those Browner calls was BS. Give him more than a game. Gronk took a few to get in stride.

Quick, with the emergence of Danny Amendola, so a new whipping boy was desperately needed by the terminally negative Ta da, enter Brandon Browner ;)

thank the hawks for destroying the league by humiliating forehead in the sb. another rule change for him.

They were both bs. If they're going to call a penalty every time he breathes on someone, it's going to be tough for him to do anything. I'm not Mr. conspiracy guy, but it's funny how they passed this "emphasis" (do you pass that? maybe like you pass gas.)

My only answer would be for him to slip the receiver and body slam Peyton.
That might scare the rule makers so much they'll leave him alone to harass receivers.

*Dave Cowens reply to the ticky tack fouls* "Now that's a foul!" *raises hand*

Can't wait for the Revis/Browner vs Marshall/Jeffery battle next Sunday. I think we'll be seeing a lot of man to man in that game.

Although maybe Bill has Dennard get Jeffery ejected during the Bears first series

Quick, with the emergence of Danny Amendola, so a new whipping boy was desperately needed by the terminally negative Ta da, enter Brandon Browner ;)
With all due respect, I think I called this using virtually the same terminology last Saturday at 11:15 pm. But, the point is, we're both right.

It's been frustrating watching what the Refs are doing to the vaunted patriot secondary. Even Revis is visibly annoyed by what he can't do at times. If this had been any other year we would have a lot fewer yards against us. You can see it with Dennard.. Once he gets a few holding calls, he stops playing physically and gets torched.

I'm worried about how limited Browner is going to be against these ticky tack calls, i mean it really ruins so much of what he is as a player.

This is so true it's not even funny. I heard the league's receivers all had the day off today so they could get fitted for next year's "no-contact" jerseys.

Browner said that he was rusty. I expect him to get more reps next game at the expense of Ryan's reps.

Both of those holding calls the receivers tripped on both of their left feet. It was BS and should have not been called.

There's always been a stark level of unevenness to penalties that apply to pass coverage defense. You see Player A gets called for holding (rightly or wrongly) while Player B does much worse but doesn't(or never) get flagged. It's the nature of the beast when a split second subjective judgement is required. Then to make matters worse this year's 'emphasis' has made the situation more volatile. As everyone knows this is Jones, Snyder........Kraft et al wanting a more pronounced passing/scoring entertainment product (one that sees a majority of teams in the playoff, FFS). So we should all expect even more head shaking calls than normal while the 32 Wise Men' long term plan weaves its way permanently into the game (for better or worse). But, at least so far, the Patriots are bearing too great a share for this.
If the on field product is to be what it is (again for better or worse) and these calls ranging from phantom to ticky tack to BS are necessary to further the 32 wise men' plan, it damn well better be that all 32 teams bear a reasonably similar burden. So since I don't buy into specific teams being starkly singled out, I'm expecting the full season's average to result in the Patriots benefiting more/suffering less in the second half of the season.

He will get better I think, hopefully fast though.
Who is better for the slot then, Dennard or Arrington?

the rules are ridiculous. playing corner at a high level is impossible.

Quite seriously, the only way to combat these imaginary penalties is to get a lead then start laying out every receiver, penalty or not until the refs are horrified.

I alluded to a true Dave Cowens story where he complained about ticky tack fouls on him and other Celtics to no avail. Next time down the court, he leveled a guy, shot his hand up immediately and said, "now that's a foul." (before flagrant fouls). Lay a few guys out legally (no cheap shot) then reduce it to normal level and dare the refs to throw a flag on every play.

Hell, all Browner would need to do is what he's been getting away with for Seattle, then dial it down a notch.

Quite seriously, the only way to combat these imaginary penalties is to get a lead then start laying out every receiver, penalty or not until the refs are horrified.

I alluded to a true Dave Cowens story where he complained about ticky tack fouls on him and other Celtics to no avail. Next time down the court, he leveled a guy, shot his hand up immediately and said, "now that's a foul." (before flagrant fouls). Lay a few guys out legally (no cheap shot) then reduce it to normal level and dare the refs to throw a flag on every play.

Hell, all Browner would need to do is what he's been getting away with for Seattle, then dial it down a notch.

Interesting thought about 'daring the refs' to keep throwing the flag. It would be great to see the film on Browner, and others, to see how much his coverage changes after the flags and how many times he commits the same "penalty" afterward. I'm guessing his play probably changes for a few snaps but ultimately he largely returns to playing the same way. And since the refs aren't going to keep throwing the flag repeatedly, the whole thing ends up a random selection process in place of proper officiating.
To me proper officiating is: if it is flagrant, call it. If unsure it's flagrant then don't throw the flag. It's best to let them play.
But that's been waning for many seasons -- with this year being, IMHO, worse because of the more poignantly desired change of the on camera product the team owners want to sell.

Interesting thought about 'daring the refs' to keep throwing the flag. It would be great to see the film on Browner, and others, to see how much his coverage changes after the flags and how many times he commits the same "penalty" afterward. I'm guessing his play probably changes for a few snaps but ultimately he largely returns to playing the same way. And since the refs aren't going to keep throwing the flag repeatedly, the whole thing ends up a random selection process in place of proper officiating.
To me proper officiating is: if it is flagrant, call it. If unsure it's flagrant then don't throw the flag. It's best to let them play.
But that's been waning for many seasons -- with this year being, IMHO, worse because of the more poignantly desired change of the on camera product the team owners want to sell.

It actually works, eventually. When there's real contact (which is legal within five yards anyway) they won't be looking for phantom brushes with the fingernail. Otherwise, they might as well cut browner now, because there's no point keeping him if he can't play physical.

Then, after he wacks the receiver a couple times, put a play on where another DB rotates behind and Browner slips the receiver and blitzes the QB. The refs won't know what to do, it will look like a football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back